• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark brown shoes: What do you wear with them?

LoblawNYC

Reaction score
I was in the AE store at Rockefeller Center today and absolutely fell in love with the Strands in dark brown. Now that I've got them home, I'm wondering what in my wardrobe they can be worn with. All of my suits seem to be a better match for black shoes (navy, charcoal, brown) based on the SF threads I''ve read, and while they're almost casual enough to wear with fitted jeans and khakis, I'm not quite sure they get there because of the balmoral styling (although I was wearing a fitted pair of khakis when I tried them on, and the match didn't look bad to me).

Question: If you wear dark brown shoes on a regular basis, what do you pair them with?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Navy suit for starters.. You are just used to pairing navy with black shoes. Try the brown.
Post flicks of the shoes if you can...

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And PLEASE...no khakis!!!

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with wearing khakis with dress shoes

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy looks infinitely better paired with dark brown. It's unfortunate that black and blue are widely accepted by anybody but these guys:

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown shoes look good with medium charcoal suits also.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with wearing kahkis and brown shoes. (indiana jones does it?)

If you mean no standard dockers with pleats and brown shoes, I agree 100%, but its all about fit.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

There's nothing wrong with wearing kahkis and brown shoes. (indiana jones does it?)
If you mean no standard dockers with pleats and brown shoes, I agree 100%, but its all about fit.

indiana jones ain't on many best dressed lists....

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If what you say is true, I should throw out over 10 pairs of incotexs :crackup:

how many pairs of khaki's does one need???

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

how many pairs of khaki's does one need???

Depends on your definition of khaki. I call all my cotton pants (asides from cords and twill pants) khakis. I have a wide range of colors — not just the "khaki - cream" color

Last edited:

ELG

Reaction score
Brown looks good with charcoal suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads