• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark brown shoes for dark navy suit?

cloud25

Reaction score
I just purchased my first suit for interviews today. It's dark navy but still distinguishable from black, even though the pictures don't quite show the "blue." Sorry I don't have real pictures yet, but this is the one I bought for $250 (sale):

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...#fn=BRAND=DKNY&sp=1&spc=11&ruleId=66&slotId=2

As most people on SF prefer brown shoes with navy suits, would only very dark browns work with this type of dark navy? Can a lighter shade of brown work?

Last edited:

malat

Reaction score
For an interview or going to court, I'd stick with simple black [oxfords]. For just about every other conceivable situation, my choice is brown.

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Those pants are WAY too tight. Sweet baby Jesus. You're gon pop a seam.

Do you naturally pucker your lips?

Last edited:

cloud25

Reaction score
So it's not a good idea to go with any brown, even dark, shoes on interviews? May I ask why? Sorry, this is my first suit, I'm not too knowledgeable.

For an interview or going to court, I'd stick with simple black [oxfords]. For just about every other conceivable situation, my choice is brown.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And I wonder if you know What it means, what it means and I wonder if you know What it means to find your dream

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just purchased my first suit for interviews today. It's dark navy but still distinguishable from black, even though the pictures don't quite show the "blue." Sorry I don't have real pictures yet, but this is the one I bought for $250 (sale):

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...#fn=BRAND=DKNY&sp=1&spc=11&ruleId=66&slotId=2

[COLOR=FF00AA]As most people on SF prefer brown shoes with navy suits, would only very dark browns work with this type of dark navy? [/COLOR]Can a lighter shade of brown work? 

We do?
A poll was done on this very question a year or so ago and as I recollect, Burgundy shoes won hands down over brown or black.

Last edited:

ShoeShopperJ

Reaction score
I frequently wear a dark-brown AE Park Avenue to professional business meetings and court. I just acquired today in fact "seconds" of AE Strand in Walnut Calf. I am undecided at the time of writing if I would wear those in court.

I love my dark-brown AE Park Avenue. I purchased the AE Strand for a more casual look when I attend meetings.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For interviews - black shoes. Preferably cap toes. End of discussion.

After you get the job and can experience your work environment in real life you can start to expand your horizons. You are going to need at least two or three pairs of dress shoes right away anyway - so do one pair black, one pair dark brown and then decide the third color later.

As Man of Lint mentioned a poll done not so long ago indicated Burgundy was the most popular shoe color with navy by far.

Brown is popular now with a really dark navy stick with medium to dark browns.

I wear tan shoes in the summer with a brighter navy suit and an orange tie. But thats a pretty advanced move - proceed with caution.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

We do?
A poll was done on this very question a year or so ago and as I recollect, Burgundy shoes won hands down over brown or black.

I remember this poll result, too. For an interview or any formal business occasion, I'd wear black shoes.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not in the camp that black shoes are 100% end of discussion necessary for an interview, but I am firmly a believer that whatever shoe you choose must be shined. When I see candidates come through my office with beat up looking shoes or baggy pants then they start with a strike in my mind. Not the end of the world mind you, but if it comes down to a tie between candidates I'm going to choose the one who presents themselves properly. I work in a client-facing role and one can't look like a slob.

Personally I've always worn dark brown shoes with a navy suit and wouldn't change that for an interview. I don't think you can go wrong with that or black. Good luck.

Last edited:

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally do not like the look of black shoes with a navy suit, so I usually go to interviews in a charcoal suit.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is personal preference when deciding between black or dark brown; both colors are fine. As this is your first suit, I would recommend a more conservative style of shoe (i.e., cap toe) and you can wander down the wingtip road soon after.

Personally I would go black first then take the brown plunge since most people walking down the street would probably consider black more professional looking. You may find browns and burgundies outnumbering your blacks soon enough once you start developing your appreciation for shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads