Dark brown shoes for dark navy suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cloud25, Feb 21, 2012.

1. cloud25

cloud25 Member

I just purchased my first suit for interviews today. It's dark navy but still distinguishable from black, even though the pictures don't quite show the "blue." Sorry I don't have real pictures yet, but this is the one I bought for $250 (sale):

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...#fn=BRAND=DKNY&sp=1&spc=11&ruleId=66&slotId=2

As most people on SF prefer brown shoes with navy suits, would only very dark browns work with this type of dark navy? Can a lighter shade of brown work?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. malat

malat Senior member

For an interview or going to court, I'd stick with simple black [oxfords]. For just about every other conceivable situation, my choice is brown.

3. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

Those pants are WAY too tight. Sweet baby Jesus. You're gon pop a seam.

Do you naturally pucker your lips?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  4. cloud25

cloud25 Member

So it's not a good idea to go with any brown, even dark, shoes on interviews? May I ask why? Sorry, this is my first suit, I'm not too knowledgeable.

5. stevent

stevent Senior member

And I wonder if you know What it means, what it means and I wonder if you know What it means to find your dream

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

We do?
    A poll was done on this very question a year or so ago and as I recollect, Burgundy shoes won hands down over brown or black.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  7. ShoeShopperJ

ShoeShopperJ Active Member

I frequently wear a dark-brown AE Park Avenue to professional business meetings and court. I just acquired today in fact "seconds" of AE Strand in Walnut Calf. I am undecided at the time of writing if I would wear those in court.

I love my dark-brown AE Park Avenue. I purchased the AE Strand for a more casual look when I attend meetings.

8. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

For interviews - black shoes. Preferably cap toes. End of discussion.

After you get the job and can experience your work environment in real life you can start to expand your horizons. You are going to need at least two or three pairs of dress shoes right away anyway - so do one pair black, one pair dark brown and then decide the third color later.

As Man of Lint mentioned a poll done not so long ago indicated Burgundy was the most popular shoe color with navy by far.

Brown is popular now with a really dark navy stick with medium to dark browns.

I wear tan shoes in the summer with a brighter navy suit and an orange tie. But thats a pretty advanced move - proceed with caution.

9. duggyald

duggyald Senior member

Hey I'd go for dark brown shoes.

10. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

For an interview?

You cra cra!

11. Anden

Anden Senior member

I have a job so I can do more as I please and I prefer brown or burgundy (calf and cordovan) with navy.
    But when I went to the interview I wore a conservative navy with black oxfords.

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I remember this poll result, too. For an interview or any formal business occasion, I'd wear black shoes.

13. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

I'm not in the camp that black shoes are 100% end of discussion necessary for an interview, but I am firmly a believer that whatever shoe you choose must be shined. When I see candidates come through my office with beat up looking shoes or baggy pants then they start with a strike in my mind. Not the end of the world mind you, but if it comes down to a tie between candidates I'm going to choose the one who presents themselves properly. I work in a client-facing role and one can't look like a slob.

Personally I've always worn dark brown shoes with a navy suit and wouldn't change that for an interview. I don't think you can go wrong with that or black. Good luck.

14. Patek

Patek Senior member

I personally do not like the look of black shoes with a navy suit, so I usually go to interviews in a charcoal suit.

15. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I think it is personal preference when deciding between black or dark brown; both colors are fine. As this is your first suit, I would recommend a more conservative style of shoe (i.e., cap toe) and you can wander down the wingtip road soon after.

Personally I would go black first then take the brown plunge since most people walking down the street would probably consider black more professional looking. You may find browns and burgundies outnumbering your blacks soon enough once you start developing your appreciation for shoes.