• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark Blue suit with what color of vest -waistcoat-?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How about a brown double breasted suit? I have seen some pic of it, it's really cool tho, made by Ralph Lauren

View attachment 1184233

That should NOT be your 2nd suit.

Stick to the "staples" before looking to buy a suit like that. Grey should be your next suit.

johnnymiz

Reaction score
that is a suit that jumps out at you and is memorable. that limits the frequency of wearing it unless you wanna be the 'guy who always wears the brown chalkline double breasted'
its a certainly a nice suit, but it is one to add to an already established wardrobe.
first you should have....
suits: dark and light grey, dark and brighter blue, maybe a glen plaid or a muted stripe in blue or grey.
then a few nice jackets to go a little more casual with chinos or wool trousers: blue blazer and maybe a few blue or brown or tan check/plaid sportcoats
white or blue solid and striped shirts
conservative solid and striped ties
quality black then brown cap toe lace up balmorals, then maybe some wingtip bluchers or monk straps.
when all this is done, then you start going for some trendy bold stuff.
keep your suits pressed, your shirts ironed, and your shoes shined
this is how you build a proper and versatile wall street wardrobe
good luck

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And don't dry clean your suits after every wear/2-3 wears. Hang the suit and let it air out naturally.

lololdude123

Reaction score
that is a suit that jumps out at you and is memorable. that limits the frequency of wearing it unless you wanna be the 'guy who always wears the brown chalkline double breasted'
its a certainly a nice suit, but it is one to add to an already established wardrobe.
first you should have....
suits: dark and light grey, dark and brighter blue, maybe a glen plaid or a muted stripe in blue or grey.
then a few nice jackets to go a little more casual with chinos or wool trousers: blue blazer and maybe a few blue or brown or tan check/plaid sportcoats
white or blue solid and striped shirts
conservative solid and striped ties
quality black then brown cap toe lace up balmorals, then maybe some wingtip bluchers or monk straps.
when all this is done, then you start going for some trendy bold stuff.
keep your suits pressed, your shirts ironed, and your shoes shined
this is how you build a proper and versatile wall street wardrobe
good luck
ok thx for the help!

Anachronist

Reaction score
Still like that Raplph Lauren suot, though. Trouble is, they often look good on the website, but in reality they more often than not are disappointing. I agree with the comments of the fellow members above. If you want to spice up the look of the dark blue jacket, go with with a plain knit merino waistcoat in e.g. a light to mid brown and choose a tie that picks up the brown at least in a part of its pattern. The patterned waistcoat in your picture does a look mismatched.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you're a business major, I am assuming this is something you would want for the job interviews and a first job. I would second the advice that you eschew the vest and put the money toward a good gray suit. In most places, I fear, a three-piece suit looks a bit affected, old-fashioned and costume-ish, and one with a non-matching vest would only accentuate this.

johnnymiz

Reaction score
the OP is a university student looking to be successful in the business world, not as a Hogwarts extra at Universal studios. I have worked in the Wall St. district of NYC (arguably the business capital of the world) since 1985 and I have never...NOT ONCE... seen anyone of any import wearing a mismatched 'waistcoat'. Three piece suit?...yes. Waistcoat? nope.
Maybe it is different in other countries, but here, if you want to look professional you wear the uniform of business...well fitting dark blue or grey suit, crisp white shirt, blue or maroon or red tie, well shined black balmoral cap toe shoes. That is the proper attire for a business student when giving presentations, interviewing for jobs, and working on Wall Street.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads