• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark Blue suit with what color of vest -waistcoat-?

lololdude123

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a uni student, which major in business. What color of vest should I get with a dark blue suit? I've searched it up on google, some ppl say that grey vest would be a perfect match. Please respond asap. Thank you!

Anachronist

Reaction score
It depends a bit on the style of the suit. Pictures and information on what occasions you intend to wear it on would be helpful to judge. Typically, three piece suits come with a matching waistcoat of same fabric. If you choose a waistcoat in a worsted wool, stick to a light grey or light blue, but be aware that this will look quite formal, requires a tie to look good and is best suited for formal events like weddings, garden parties at Buckingham Palace and the like ;-)
If you want to err on the casual side, pair a navy suit with a knit vest or waistcoat and here you can even go into a camel to mid brown, if you are courageous then a burgundy or red or a different shade of blue that should be lighter than the suit color-wise. If you can pick up the color again in e.g. a pocket square, necktie or bow tie you should look as dapper as it can get.

lololdude123

Reaction score
It depends a bit on the style of the suit. Pictures and information on what occasions you intend to wear it on would be helpful to judge. Typically, three piece suits come with a matching waistcoat of same fabric. If you choose a waistcoat in a worsted wool, stick to a light grey or light blue, but be aware that this will look quite formal, requires a tie to look good and is best suited for formal events like weddings, garden parties at Buckingham Palace and the like ;-)
If you want to err on the casual side, pair a navy suit with a knit vest or waistcoat and here you can even go into a camel to mid brown, if you are courageous then a burgundy or red or a different shade of blue that should be lighter than the suit color-wise. If you can pick up the color again in e.g. a pocket square, necktie or bow tie you should look as dapper as it can get.
This is the suit that I have, it looks greyish in the photo, but it's more blue in reality. I'm having a presentation coming up, and sometimes I need to attend seminar. so I'm really not sure on which color of vest should I go for?

Screenshot 2019-05-28 at 12.50.47 AM.png

Screenshot 2019-05-28 at 12.50.57 AM.png

lololdude123

Reaction score
My suit is a little bit darker in comparison to the image below. I'm not sure whether this will work or not.

Screenshot 2019-05-28 at 1.03.49 AM.png

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a uni student, which major in business. What color of vest should I get with a dark blue suit? I've searched it up on google, some ppl say that grey vest would be a perfect match. Please respond asap. Thank you!
Is there a reason you're wanting to add a mismatched vest to your suit? Just for more visual interest? The above pic would still work with a darker navy.
I think ideally if you're trying to look the most professional would be to have a three piece (matching suit) or just a two piece (without a vest).

lololdude123

Reaction score
Is there a reason you're wanting to add a mismatched vest to your suit? Just for more visual interest? The above pic would still work with a darker navy.
I think ideally if you're trying to look the most professional would be to have a three piece (matching suit) or just a two piece (without a vest).
I wanna add a more professional look to my suit, so ppl can have a good first impression on me.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wanna add a more professional look to my suit, so ppl can have a good first impression on me.

A vest doesn't add a more professional look. A crisp white shirt, nice tie, solid shoes(and maybe a pocket square) does. Being well groomed never hurts. Knowing you field/job/major helps. Being on time all the time is also key.

You don't need a mismatched vest for your suit.

lololdude123

Reaction score
A vest doesn't add a more professional look. A crisp white shirt, nice tie, solid shoes(and maybe a pocket square) does. Being well groomed never hurts. Knowing you field/job/major helps. Being on time all the time is also key.

Ah ok, Thank you so much!

johnnymiz

Reaction score

this ^ x1,000,000

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you have a presentation coming up, know your material. Turn your phone OFF. Get there early and understand the setting/where you will stand....etc.

Down the road, look to purchase a 2nd suit. Light grey? Then some additional shirts/ties. Another solid pair of shoes.

Don't worry about a mismatched vest.

Chowkin

Reaction score
When you buy your second suit please avoid bum freezers and go for a more traditional cut

lololdude123

Reaction score
When you buy your second suit please avoid bum freezers and go for a more traditional cut
Well, in reality it's actually a modern fit suit, idk why the pic shows smth that's different lol. Btw, thx for the help.

lololdude123

Reaction score
If you have a presentation coming up, know your material. Turn your phone OFF. Get there early and understand the setting/where you will stand....etc.

Down the road, look to purchase a 2nd suit. Light grey? Then some additional shirts/ties. Another solid pair of shoes.

Don't worry about a mismatched vest.

How about a brown double breasted suit? I have seen some pic of it, it's really cool tho, made by Ralph Lauren

48b1d2472c68a12e1ec888b7fadb9d2c.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads