• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark Black CK Jeans. Still In Style?

intlnews

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am meeting a girl for coffee and a maybe a bit to eat. I do not want to over do it, so I was thinking a black jeans and a polo. Just about all my jeans are blue except two. One is a dark black CK jean. The other is more like a black/grey stone washed CK jean.

Which is better?

OneEye

Reaction score
You're in Boston. Head over to Berklee College of Music and hang out until Joe Stump walks by (he teaches there, or did while I was there a few years ago). You'll know him by his black jeans, snakeskin boots, and 80's hair metal haircut. If that's the vibe you're wanting to send, then go for it. That's the first image that pops into my head when I think of black jeans. Otherwise go for a nice solid pair in a dark wash with no holes. Can't go wrong there. With black jeans you can definitely go wrong.

intlnews

Reaction score
What are dark wash jeans? I have varying colors of blue, charcoal and a pair of black jeans. Mostly, I wear blue jeans. Since this is not officially dinner, just a coffee and a bit to eat, I do not want to over do it, nor under do it. Open for suggestions. The first date is tonight.

OneEye

Reaction score
Just dark blue. No fading, no holes. Just plain and dark.

You're not going to overdo it if you're wearing jeans. Don't worry.

intlnews

Reaction score
Most look like this.

L12958859.jpg

In terms of top, what's the best color and should I use a polo or button down? If I use the button down, should I tuck it in or not?

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stonewashed jeans will never, ever be back in style. Truth (God I pray so). Sure, black jeans have been done bad, true, but they go with everything, and they're waaaaaaay more classic than stonewashed mom jeans (why we are still using the word "stonewashed", 20 years after, is a testament to the staying power of their ugliness). Dress down the black jeans with a slim-fitting grey sweatshirt & chucks, or go shrunken leather jacket & boots. Damn, the Ramones wore black jeans 30 years ago, and everyone from skateboarders to Elvis Costello does today. Black jeans are just a notch below rinsed jeans: practically everything goes with them. Make sure the fit is right, and burn the stonewashed jeans.

intlnews

Reaction score
Sorry, they look more like these, maybe a bit lighter.

91VT9sl46qL._SL1500_.jpg

OneEye

Reaction score
Those look like dad jeans. Don't do dat.

The black jeans thing is probably just a hangup of mine. If they're dark (not faded), fit well and aren't torn up, they're probably your best bet. The idea is that you don't want her to go "whoa...those jeans." You want her not to notice the jeans, so you want them to be visually "out of the way." Nothing that draws the eye to them.

Another thing: a button down is a type of collar. A button down shirt would be a shirt with that specific type of collar. Such a shirt would be just fine. As would a crisp polo, though I imagine a long sleeve shirt would be better in Boston right now.

Here in Austin, however, the high was 92 today. Kill me now.

intlnews

Reaction score
And here I thought jeans were jeans. Never knew there was a status order for Levi Lee and all other jeans. I have like two pairs of CK jeans from years ago. The rest are Lee or Levi. As much as I want, I cannot pay 100.00 + for jeans. Though, I find my suits, which are a few hundred to a grand pretty nice. Normally, I just wear jeans and a t shirt to a casual event. I don't think that would cut it here..

OneEye

Reaction score
Not sure where $100 jeans came into the picture. I paid $13 for the pair I wear the most often. Granted, they were on a clearance rack, and they were the only pair like it, and happened to be in my size. But there's no need to overspend for a decent pair of jeans.

Also, nobody said anything about brands. It isn't necessarily about the brand. My $13 pair are from the Gap, but that has nothing to do with why I like them. I like them because they fit me perfectly, they're a solid dark blue, and they have no visible logos and no crazy designs on the back pockets. Just simple, classic, dark blue jeans. I've gotten more than my $13 out of them, and they'll likely last me a good while longer.

intlnews

Reaction score
Didn't know dark blue jeans were back in style. Good to know.
smile.gif

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intlnews
Didn't know dark blue jeans were back in style. Good to know.
smile.gif

I don't think they were ever out of style. They are a staple item.

IronRock

Reaction score
You are going to have a coffee with a chick - do what you normally do in the morning, get up and get dressed in clothes you normally wear.

Why change your style for the sake of a coffee? She can't have beem too turned off by what you were wearing when you asked her out, so I reckon you're gonna be ok. Now get out there and bang her.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black is black, not "dark" or otherwise!

Look about you - if you would feel comfortable in what you propose to wear do so. If not and you want to be seen as fashionable go and buy something new - then you will know it is current. Otherwise you are making far too much of such a casual event as a cup of coffee.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Black is black, not "dark" or otherwise!

+1

I have some black APC new standards that I like a lot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads