• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dappered's got our number

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excerpts from today's Dappered Style blog. (Emphasis is mine.)

Has fit and style critique gone too far?

Here’s a hypothesis: The dramatic increase in popularity of websites dedicated to men’s style and the ability to discuss all thing’s men’s style on the internet has caused many of us to become hyper-critical nincompoops who are too ready to pick apart still images for “style errors” that otherwise would go unnoticed in the real world.

On one hand, none of us would be dressing (and thus feeling) better if it wasn’t for someone at some point saying something like “hey man, why don’t you try this suit over here that’s a size smaller.” But sometimes this critiquing of every pic to hit the web is borderline OCD.

And then there’s fit. Someone isn’t sure about how a suit fits and they submit a photo to a forum. A slight wrinkle in the sleeve leads a couple guys to go off on shoulder pitch, construction, and all of a sudden the submitter is thinking that the suit is a no go, when in reality it almost certainly looks fantastic. The ideal look of how a shirt fits, or pants break, or a suit drapes is starting to become so unattainable, you’ve got to wonder if these guys who are so quick to point out errors on someone else can even get out of the house in the morning.

We move in our clothes. Nothing is moving in a still image. Every minuscule negative detail jumps off the screen ripe for being scrutinized, literally framed for attentive viewing. Of course pictures are useful for determining fit and checking out the details of someone’s getup. But has the critiquing of those two elements gone too far? Is there a risk of becoming a style version of a grammar nazi? At what point does it become less about getting it “right” and more about someone making themselves feel superior?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
It's a learning experience. Large or small, errors are errors. It's up to the reader to decide whether something is a big deal or not. And being able to make that decision with any level of certainty means knowing that they're there in the first place. So it's kind of a twisted cycle. Just like anything else it depends on how deep you want to get into the game; how good is good enough.

Kyle is raaddd

Reaction score
I think it is fine. I can discern what is an actual problem, and what is something easily overlooked.
It's nice to at least be aware of minor mistakes.

Don't post if you can't handle critique! Seen It too many times on this forum.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Considering they picked on the tie in this image I think the blog posting fails

But lets also be honest. There are guys here asking if their shoes fit. How can an adult not know if they're shoes fit?

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with that excerpt, but it's not a bad thing. The standards for looking great in "real life" and looking great on a site like this one are different. I think that style forums, when done correctly, educate people about things that they should look for in clothes. You have to point out issues or people won't know. Contrary to some of the titles that pop up here, these sites don't, however, create a definitive list of what's always good and what's always bad. These sites make people more aware so that they can purposefully choose their looks.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Considering they picked on the tie in this image I think the blog posting fails
But lets also be honest. There are guys here asking if their shoes fit. How can an adult not know if they're shoes fit?
Dude, some people don't know the proper way for shoes to fit. Others don't know the differences between "there," "their" and "they're."

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, we are crazy. is this news to anyone?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Author is spot on. We do other think things. It's up to you to decide if you consider this a good or bad thing, to me it just is.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
some times it is, some times its not. :)

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nicola makes a great point. That tie knot is the least of his problems, he should get someone to look at that collar gap.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
As long as you remember that there is no 'perfect fit' - then that's a good starting point.

mcbrown

Reaction score
The author also misses the point that there is value to non-participating observers in reading these critiques. In order for a critique to be valuable to a third party observer it needs to be more obsessive than the observer is capable of being on his own, at the present time. Otherwise there is nothing to learn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads