1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Danner Stumptown Collection

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by NormanF, Oct 16, 2011.

1. david809

david809 Well-Known Member

Quick question re: the Overton. For people who own this shoe, can you comment on how warm the shoe is with the Gore Tex liner? I'm in Chicago, but sometimes I find boots lined with Gore Tex to be a bit warm when worn indoors. Thanks guys.

2. kixslf

kixslf Senior member

Well they're definitley warm, though, I've found that if you don't wear heavy rag socks with them, it's not too bad.

I don't know why you would want to do that in Chicago though.

3. david809

david809 Well-Known Member

To answer my own question, I bought the Overtons and have been wearing them for about a month. The Gortex lining wears a little warmer than a regular leather lined shoe, but totally comfortable indoors.

Also, to add a datapoint to the sizing debate, I am pretty much a standard US 9D for most shoes (9D in Alden Plaza, 8.5D in Barrie), I sized down a half and added insoles (Superfeet Blue). My one word of advice is that you must add the insole. The insole supplied is a crummy half insole made of plastic that is really thin. So far all intents and purposes, there are no insoles in these boots (so if you actually go hiking and don't have flat feet, your feet will hurt. A lot). Once you add insoles, a lot of the volume from the EE sizing will be taken out (though there will still be a bit of room if you are a D width). For me, going down a half size and adding insoles makes the shoes a bit snug in the toe box but comfortable. I could see going true to size if adding insoles, so as to have a bit more room in the toe box.

4. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

[​IMG]

mountain light overtons​

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  5. kixslf

kixslf Senior member

just a small note... those inserts they include are not intended to be used like an insole.

6. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

I've got these too, really comfy soles and rock solid construction.

7. hoodyear

hoodyear Senior member

This is a semantic debate. It's an arch support. If that's all you need, it's great. Otherwise, get some Dr. Scholls.

8. landcruiser

landcruiser New Member

Hey everyone, this forum has been pretty informative for me so I thought I'd chime in and share my experience. I just picked up a pair of Danner Overtons in a size 12, but before I comment on them here is some of my size info for reference. Someone brought this up earlier and I think it helps with those searching for the right size.

Danner Acadia and Danner Marine Hot- 12
    RedWing Style #875 Boot- 11M. A little narrow and probably could have gone with wide, but not a major issue
    Frye- 10.5 D/Med- they run a bit smaller than the RW for me. I ordered and 11, but sent back for a 10.5
    Running Shoes- 12.5 in Nike and New Balance, and a 13 if I go with Brooks.

That said, I'm a little bit all over the map with my sizing. I ordered the Overtons from Danner's Breakroom and went with the 12D even though they suggest sizing down a half size due to the wide 650EE last--I figured I could make up the additional volume with an insole. This is where I get a bit confused--Danner sells boots in the this "wider" last in a D width and also a EE width (look at the Danner ML II). I thought that if you got a boot with a wide last (650EE) and went with a EE width that you would just get a super wide boot. Anyyyywaaaayyyy, I found that the the 12D fit me great and I did not find them any wider than my Acadias--strange I thought. I agree with an earlier poster who said that the width will not change the length of the boot--at least in my experience it has not although others will advocate going down a half size. I prefer an insole with my Danners and go with a superfeet orange on my Acadias as these are my military boots and need them for field work, rucking, etc. Not the case with my Overtons as I prefer a looser fit with these since they will be more of a casual boot for just kicking it, camping, very light hiking, and walking around town. So I went with Pedag leather insoles for my Overtons--some here may want to check them out. They are very thin an comfortable and are design for shoes that do not come with a removable insole--they take up very little volume. All-in-all the Overtons are an outstanding boot and I love the fit. My experience is they fit TTS, but if I got a boot in the same last (650 EE) and a wide size EE in a boot like the Mountain Light II, I would still go with the 12 and get a superfeet insole to fill any extra volume. Hope this info gives some useful frame of reference for you all

1 person likes this.
  9. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

DANNER STUMPTOWN MTN LIGHTS - not just for urban hiking (FYI i got these in 9.5 and they fit well, i am a 10 in vans / 42 in common projects )
    took them on a 4.5 hr hike in the catskills - they were great
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  10. EngineNear

EngineNear Member

Is there any advantage to purchasing a pair of Danner's from them? I've found them cheaper elsewhere but I want to make sure I can still get them resoled from Danner.

11. pdxvegan

pdxvegan Well-Known Member

I was at the Danner store a couple months back and talking to the sales guy I came to understand that as long as you don't buy factory 2nds any Danner boot, from any retailer, is covered by the warranty (thought I think you might have to register your purchase online?). Also, as long as the boot isn't too damaged most Danners can be recrafted/resoled (though it might cost a bit). Try giving the Danner store a call and asking as they are super helpful and knowledgeable! Hope that helps!

1 person likes this.
  12. pdxvegan

pdxvegan Well-Known Member

Does anyone with the Overton Mt Lights have an opinion as to:

1) how much they stretch (never had suede MT lights before)

2) how well they age (again wondering about the suede)

Thanks!

13. SyrupLocker

SyrupLocker Member

if i wear a 9 in red wings what size should i get in danners?

also i see some only come in EE what should i do or should i just stick with the D width ones?

edit: my foot is a 9 on that measurement thing

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  14. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  15. tahoe_snow

tahoe_snow Member

I picked up a pair of Danner Mountain Lights a couple weeks back. Here's a quick review.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. sklark23

sklark23 Senior member

17. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

Put blister bandages and moleskin padding on affected foot areas. It will relieve discomfort and make walks comfortable until the boots are broken in.

18. NormanF

NormanF Senior member

A Pedag Viva insole - either the thin Comfort 187 or the thicker Outdoor 186 should do nicely with these boots. With these insoles you feel like you're walking on air! I like Birkenstock Trekking insoles but the fit may make some boots feel tight and that's not a pleasant experience. Your toes need wiggle room for your feet to remain fresh and comfortable.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  19. Chalky White

Chalky White New Member

Greetings everyone, long time lurker. I have a couple questions I hope could be answered in regard to Danner before going through with a purchase. This community is typically the most knowledgeable around when it comes to these things, so any help offered will be appreciated.

I've been looking to add another pair of boots to my rotation for the winter months, and have narrowed my options down to Wesco, White's, Viberg, Oak Street, & Danner. My question pertains to the quality and finish of Danner boots, namely their stump-town collection, relative to aforementioned manufacturers.

I've done a little research on my own, and from what I've gathered they seem to be on par; Horween and oiled leathers, hand crafted double stitching, gortex/waterproof, Vibram soles, recraftable construction, etc. The only draw-back I see is that they don't offer customizable options, but no biggie. I've also noticed that they've collaborated with some very reputable brands/retailers over the last few years in Comme Des Garcons, Sophnet, Ball & Buck, Woolrich Woolen Mills, Bolyston, Tanner Goods, and others. So far so good, but then I learn that Danner is a subsidiary of LaCrosse footwear, which is owned by ABC-Mart, a Japanese retailer with hundreds of stores across Japan, Taiwan, and South Korea. This gave me concerns about their quality control and production standards, especially compared to smaller, private owned brands.

So, to owners of boots from said brands or those of you familiar with their production standards and quality, is Danner to hikers and military types what Wesco, White's, and Viberg are to Lineman and Loggers, or are they a cheaper alternative more comparable to Wolverine or Red Wing? There's nothing wrong with that, but I'd rather spend a couple hundred more for heavy duty pair of boots with the potential to last me a decade or two. However, if their products are right there with the best, I'll find it more difficult to justify the price point of say, a custom or limited edition pair of Viberg 66's over limited edition pair of Danner Mountain Lights(I really like retro hikers).

20. badeggcat

badeggcat Senior member

I use my Danner Light for hiking and it's holding up pretty well. Great for wet days as well with the gore tex lining. Would gladly purchase another pair if I ever trash it beyond redemption.