• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Danner Stumptown Collection

Rambler

Reaction score
Wish these came in a narrow/B width like some of their other models. I have a pair of Hood Winter Lights in B width which I really like.

Nopike343

Reaction score
ANKLE FIT QUESTION:
Bought a pair of Mountain Trail's from this collection. The fit inside is good, but the ankle collar seems to be digging just above my achilles. I know that a thicker sock would help with this, but they seem to fit me best with a medium sock.
1. Is this something that will go away with break-in? The leather is pretty soft out of the box.
2. Should I wear the lacing up top loose or tight to maybe help?
Thanks.

I returned my Stumptown Elkins, mostly because they were too small for me. I sized down to an 11 from my normal 11.5 as suggested. TTS would have worked for me. Anyways I had the same issue with these and similar issues with other new shoes.

You have what amounts to a sharp edge there and it will hurt until it is no longer sharp. A trick I learned from this forum is to take a table spoon and use the bottom of the spoon to press down hard on the edge to flatten it.

heprof

Reaction score
Nopike--thanks for tips. Still trying to decide if I should go TTS as I do with my Aldens, Redwings, Whites or size down half as suggested for these Danners.

Since it was too small when you sized down the Elkins, do you usually wear D or wider in other shoes?

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TTS, in my experience. The extra width doesn't affect the insole length

ffatt

Reaction score
To help alleviate the confusion from the sizing debate. I think people should post their Danner shoe size that fits them well as well as sizes in other common brands. I can't start because I don't own a pair, but I was told one should size on Danners as they would on Alden Indy.

Nopike343

Reaction score

Nopike--thanks for tips. Still trying to decide if I should go TTS as I do with my Aldens, Redwings, Whites or size down half as suggested for these Danners.
Since it was too small when you sized down the Elkins, do you usually wear D or wider in other shoes?

I wear a 11.5 D in most dress shoes. Uhirit is right, the extra shoe width did not compensate for the shorter length of the shoe.

If you wear TTS in Aldens, Redwings and Whites than I would say you definetly should go TTS on the Danners. I do not have any Aldens, most of my shoes/boots are UK sizing. UK 10.5 in Alfred Sargent width FX and UK11 standard width in C&J's.

You should allow for more room in boots and athletic shoes than you would for dress shoes. That is one more reason not to size down on these. The Danner Elkins are good quality hiking boots for the sale price ($200) and they have that classic Danner look but if I were to buy another pair of hiking boots I would probably pass on the Danners and look for something a little more sleek and comfortable. And I really think that Danner should do something about he seam issue around the ankle . Why buy a shoe that hurts your foot, even it may only be for a few days.

Last edited:

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Mountain Trails just came in......I have a feeling that my sizing research has gone horribly wrong, or that I was too lazy to research properly. I ordered (from the J Crew site) an 8H Medium which I assumed was an 8.5D US.

I am an 8.5E-9D US. From my research `I thought that an 8.5D would be best. The J Crew website suggested that an 8H medium was indeed 8.5 D, US

The boot in front of me does say 8UK, 8.5 EE US and 42.

Damn boot feels like a 9-9.5D, more a 9.5D than 9D.

Not sure if it's me or J Crew.

Last edited:

herrmj

Reaction score
Danner 650 last is pretty narrow. Notice they only offer EE width on the stumptown collection, guess jcrew does too.

aarice

Reaction score
Probably should've posted here before I ordered, but I recently picked up a pair of Mountain Light Overtons in size 10. 9.5 in Red Wings fits me perfectly but I'm a size 10 on a Brannock. Anyone know how these fit compared to RWs?

Curious_George

Reaction score
Which Red Wings fit you perfectly? My Mountain Light IIs are the same size as all my Red Wings (except the Danners are EE and feel more like a D width). My Red Wing GTs are longer than the Danners while my RW 1907 pair is about the same length.

Last edited:

aarice

Reaction score
I have a pair of 875's and 3145's (work chukkas) in 9.5.

Did I make a mistake getting the Danners in 10?

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a pair of 875's and 3145's (work chukkas) in 9.5. 

Did I make a mistake getting the Danners in 10? 

You may need a 9.0 UK / 9.5E

I wear a 10 RW, I got the US 10EE Danners, they fit like a glove off the bat with thick socks (which should probably be the goal).

Only worn these baby's once all year. Waiting for some snow/slush to hit. In the meantime, I'm stocking up on laces

FYI - these appear to be stumptowns on sale (never shopped at this site before)

http://www.boylstontradingco.com/shop/danner.html

ffatt

Reaction score
I wear the following sizes and hope to pick up 9EE in Danner 650 last. Are all Danners made with Goodyear welted construction? Kinda worried about single seam construction unlike Diemme's double stitch.

RW Classic 6" moc toe: 8.5E or 9D.
Alden Indy: 9D
Yuketen Boat Shoe: 9 or 9.5 (this is the fit I am aiming for)
CP: 42

Last edited:

aarice

Reaction score
So my size 10 Mountain Lights arrived today and they were too big. I exchanged them for a 9.5, which is what I wear for Red Wing. I'll post how they fit when I get them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads