• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DocHunter

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of Danner Mountain Light IIs in my regular size and they were entirely too big. Does anyone have experience with these boots?

They don't have the half size down in stock. Has anyone ever sized a full size down for these?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont have any personal experience, but have been told the last fits like RW 875, that is ,5 -1 size down. Seems like great boots, wish I had some myself...

DocHunter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
I dont have any personal experience, but have been told the last fits like RW 875, that is ,5 -1 size down. Seems like great boots, wish I had some myself...

Thanks, Bobo. They're awesome boots. Even though they were way too big on me I was really impressed with the construction of the boot and the leather looks like it'll distress really nice through the winter.

Don't here these boots mentioned here much. Maybe it's because they're more of a traditional hiking boot, but I thought I'd point out that they're ******* awesome.

hollowsleather

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the Danner Light II.
danne54242_41875_lg.jpg
There's a lot to be said for a hiking boot that doesn't make you look like you're from the future. When I'm walking around in the woods, I want as few reminders of the modern world as possible.

the.chikor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHunter
I ordered a pair of Danner Mountain Light IIs in my regular size and they were entirely too big. Does anyone have experience with these boots?

They don't have the half size down in stock. Has anyone ever sized a full size down for these?

I had something very similar in the Army. Danners are awesome!

JOA

Reaction score
Funny you bring this thread up. I just retired my 12 year old Vasque Sundowners and replaced with a pair of Danner Mountain Light II hikers. I got a size 9, which is my size in dress shoes. They fit perfectly and will log countless miles in the GSMNP (this winter, no less).

DocHunter

Reaction score
For you guys who have experience with Danners, have any of you guys sized down a full size?

I'm debating whether I should wait until they get more of my size in stock or whether I should take a chance with the full size down.

wiru

Reaction score
I just bought a pair recently. I usually wear a 10 or a 10.5 in most shoes, but I fit into a Danner 9. If I wanted to wear them with thick hiking socks, though, I would've needed a 10.

Eagle

Reaction score
I've worn a pair if Danner's Light Hikers for several years, logging well over 1000 miles of trail walks in them. As you consider sizing down, remember to leave enough room for proper socks...I prefer Thoroguard. Sizing down 1/2 size is as far as I would go. The Light Hikers are one great pair of boots, very durable!

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^So, if I mostly want to wear them for casual use, sizing down a whole size might work?

btw, what kind of insole do the ML 2 have?

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
I have three pairs of US made Danner boots. I love them. (I don't buy any of their made in China stuff.)

I have not had to size down. FWIW, I wear a 8.5D.

You are not alone in thinking that Danners are not exactly as sized. Many reports are that Danners are too SMALL for their tagged size, meaning you should size UP.

My experience has been that it is not accurate to say that Danners are sized small. I believe they are a bit "short" for their size. By this, I mean the footbox is a bit short (vertically) and may be a bit narrow as well. I notice this only when wearing multiple layers of socks, although I have no problems wearing a thin polypro wicking sock and a thicker wool overlayer sock with my Danners.

I don't have particular experience with the Mountain Light II, but I have the Patrol, Blackhawk II and the Explorer. They're all about the same, built on the same last and feature a 6" height.

Hope this helps!

wiru

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
^^So, if I mostly want to wear them for casual use, sizing down a whole size might work?

btw, what kind of insole do the ML 2 have?

This was my experience, but it might not be typical. A whole size was pushing it. This is wearing the normal, lightweight cotton socks that I have on year round.

The insole is comfy with moderate arch support.

Only problem I had was with the leather lining on the shaft. Gave me a huge blister and I couldn't wear the shoes for a month.

mechanical pencil

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new pair of hiking boots and I've been checking out the
Danners. I really like the look of the classic Mountain Light II but I'm wondering if
the extra inch in height of the Danner Light would be a good thing to have for hiking.
A little more ankle support?

Anyone have experience with both?

I can't seem to find a place to try on either of them within 100 miles of Los Angeles, listed local
dealers only seem to carry the work boots....

DMcG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mechanical pencil
I'm in the market for a new pair of hiking boots and I've been checking out the
Danners. I really like the look of the classic Mountain Light II but I'm wondering if
the extra inch in height of the Danner Light would be a good thing to have for hiking.
A little more ankle support?

Anyone have experience with both?

I can't seem to find a place to try on either of them within 100 miles of Los Angeles, listed local
dealers only seem to carry the work boots....

I don't have experience with those boots but I've been thinking of ordering a pair of the Mountain Light IIs and Danner's website states that they have free-shipping both ways.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads