• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Daniel Craig's rust coloured, striped jacket/blazer in Layer Cake; fabric

otacon

Reaction score
I'm using the term "blazer" with some trepidation, though it looks like this jacket wasn't made as either part of a blazer suit, nor a sports jacket, nor a full suit, but that's just a guess.

Most of what I find online is about his red-lined leather jacket. This piece seems much more interesting to me.

I've read that it is a rust coloured jacket by Kilgour, Saville Row. The fabric is really what I'm looking for, so that I could possibly have something made closer to home, or online. Toiling through catalogs hasn't found me anything yet, so I was hoping someone here could help me find something similar.

Here's how the fabric seems to "behave" from watching the film:

The jacket looks almost black with stripes--in several shots, it does. In the proper lighting, it appears to be instead a very dark red.* The pin-striping is also red, but much brighter. Depending on the angle/distance, the pinstripes seem to grow larger, an optical illusion (possibly from the colour flooding?) which makes it look like something to the opposite of a white-and-blue, thick-striped blazer. It is really so much of an issue that I've re-watched scenes and stills just to make sure it was the same jacket. It is (there's a shot of him, I believe in a club, where it zooms out, and you can see it happen.) Not as likely to occur on me as on film, but cool never the less.

There may also be a bit of a sheen to it, but that may just be the colours blending.

*I suppose it is not impossible that the burgundy shade of the jacket has something to do with the way the red stripes bounce off of what could be black, but I'm fairly certain it's really a dark red. Or it could just be a filter.

Has anyone ever seen any fabric like this description before? I'll include some images I can find on the net as I come across them. This first one isn't so great with the lighting, but it's large.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's red and that's not just the red lighting?

To me it just looks navy blue with purpleish pin-stripes. I have a Paul Smith suit quite similar, though it's probably not exactly that.

otacon

Reaction score
Sorry, guess I didn't get that edit in in time. Check my above post for more pics, see if it changes your mind any. It could possibly be a filter, but I'm pretty sure the stripes are red and the jacket either dark red or black. It does look a bit like a navy and purple though in that first pic I posted.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a chalk-striped blazer. It shouldn't be hard to replicate.

Any good local tailor, visiting made-to-measure tailor or high-end department store with a suiting section is going to be able to make you something or have something like it.

Visit a tailor and look at some of their fabric swatches; you'll probably find something similar. Don't worry so much about finding something "exactly" like it because you'll never be satisfied (plus you can't really tell the true colour of the garment).

otacon

Reaction score
Does "chalk" refer to colour? If so, I'm not seeing it. I see black and red, cheifly in the other pics I posted. Otherwise, I'm not exactly sure what you mean :-/

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otacon
Does "chalk" refer to colour? If so, I'm not seeing it. I see black and red, cheifly in the other pics I posted. Otherwise, I'm not exactly sure what you mean :-/

'Chalk-stripe'. It's like pin-stripe but the stripes are wider.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is definitely red, guys (having seen the movie many times). I'd also be interested in an answer to this question.

Supposedly the tailored bits in the film are Kilgour, so you could always call them and ask if they can help you.

derekzee

Reaction score
the summer suit at the end in a hacking silhouette is a killer idea for bespoke. who sez summer suits should be soft naplesnacci stuff.

otacon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
'Chalk-stripe'. It's like pin-stripe but the stripes are wider.
I see. Forgive my ignorance. So, the chalk stripe...is that part of the reason why it seems to "flood" the thicker black portions, or does that have something to do with the colours/type of fabric? You can see, in one of the pics where he's sitting, how it kind of has a sheen to it, and I have a feeling that is part of the reason for the effect, but I'm not really experienced to know. I went to a MTM tailor the other day, couldn't really find anything. I'll do some more searching for chalk striping online in red. Thank you very much for that information Aaron, Sanguis. Should make finding this much easier.
Originally Posted by origenesprit
It is definitely red, guys (having seen the movie many times). I'd also be interested in an answer to this question. Supposedly the tailored bits in the film are Kilgour, so you could always call them and ask if they can help you.
That would probably be easiest. I don't live in the UK, but maybe they'll be nice enough to help. Does anyone have experience with Kilgour enough to know about their prices, or if that isn't viable, (and I sincerely doubt it will be for me anytime soon,) if it'd be poor class on my end to ask them for the type of fabric used on the jacket? EDIT: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/16460469...poke-Tailoring Very, very far out of my price range. I suppose their 'Entry Level' is more reasonable, and that I'd probably have to go that route, not living in the UK. Still, I won't be able to have them make it for me any time soon. I guess I only have to worry about it being rude to ask for a swatch or type of fabric.
Originally Posted by derekzee
the summer suit at the end in a hacking silhouette is a killer idea for bespoke. who sez summer suits should be soft naplesnacci stuff.
It's very sharp. Some of the stills I've seen are not flattering for the sizing, but I don't know I've ever thought that whilst watching the film. It's probably the second most talked about clothing item from the movie.

aGiantDewsh

Reaction score
I contacted Kilgour, they seemed to know what i was talking about. Apparently i am not the only "American" to inquire about this suit. Instead of flying to the UK and paying 6K for a bespoke suit i am hoping to be able to purchase some of this fabric and have a suit made here in the states. After i will update.
Also thank you for this post/ fourum

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads