• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Daniel Craig's Layer Cake Summer Suit and S. Miller;)

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
14mcdjm.jpg

Keep your eye on the suit
wink.gif
sly.gif

14mcfms.jpg

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Could afford to be double vented, but I like it in general and those hacking pockets are pure class.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i nice Richard James suit

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing special, too long, terrible fit in the back, and I've never really cared for hacking pockets. And she looks like Britney Spears there, which is not good.
tongue.gif

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. Yeah, that looks great. I don't think I could pull it off. Any pictures of short-wide guys in something like that?
wink.gif

Love the pockets.

bob

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
14mcfms.jpg

I love a women in a sun dress sans brassiere.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Layer Cake itself was a weird movie... but then again I only saw bits of it watching with someone else at home. I too was convinced that he'd make a great Bond by seeing it. The main thing that stuck out in my mind clothing-wise was the big guy who beat the **** out of his former partner in crime in the diner (can't remember his name) wearing a short sleeved polo shirt buttoned up all the way with a suit.
crazy.gif

drake

Reaction score
The jacket just looks to big on him, just look at how much bigger the jacket sleeve opening is compared to his shirt cuff, compared to his wrist. The pockets also look pretty awful as well.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The jacket doesn't know whether it wants to be a suit jacket or a frock coat - the length is in no-mans-land. It doesn't look awful IMO, but could look better.

If it had been my jacket, and I wanted something a bit different, I'd have gone for peak lapels, kept the single button front and hacking pockets and the flared skirt and lengthened the jacket further to create a sort of modern twist on a frock coat. Would work very nicely in the ?church setting of the first photo.

But that's probably my imagination running away with me!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
According to manton, a jacket with hacking pockets should be center-vented, if I understand him correctly.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
According to manton, a jacket with hacking pockets should be center-vented, if I understand him correctly.

I won't presume to speak for Manton, but I don't believe this to be the case. A hacking jacket has both hacking pockets and a center vent, traditionally, as the vent allows the jacket to spread nicely over one's horse. But hacking pockets have become common on sportcoats and more casual suit jackets, removing them from their equestrian context. To me, at least, there is no reason that they must be accompanied by a single vent.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, some riding jackets (that are really worn by equestrians!) are a bit shorter than usual and have double vents.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads