• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Daniel Craig's Layer Cake Summer Suit and S. Miller;)

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Keep your eye on the suit

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Could afford to be double vented, but I like it in general and those hacking pockets are pure class.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i nice Richard James suit

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing special, too long, terrible fit in the back, and I've never really cared for hacking pockets. And she looks like Britney Spears there, which is not good.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. Yeah, that looks great. I don't think I could pull it off. Any pictures of short-wide guys in something like that?

Love the pockets.

bob

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph

I love a women in a sun dress sans brassiere.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Layer Cake itself was a weird movie... but then again I only saw bits of it watching with someone else at home. I too was convinced that he'd make a great Bond by seeing it. The main thing that stuck out in my mind clothing-wise was the big guy who beat the shit out of his former partner in crime in the diner (can't remember his name) wearing a short sleeved polo shirt buttoned up all the way with a suit.

drake

Reaction score
The jacket just looks to big on him, just look at how much bigger the jacket sleeve opening is compared to his shirt cuff, compared to his wrist. The pockets also look pretty awful as well.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The jacket doesn't know whether it wants to be a suit jacket or a frock coat - the length is in no-mans-land. It doesn't look awful IMO, but could look better.

If it had been my jacket, and I wanted something a bit different, I'd have gone for peak lapels, kept the single button front and hacking pockets and the flared skirt and lengthened the jacket further to create a sort of modern twist on a frock coat. Would work very nicely in the ?church setting of the first photo.

But that's probably my imagination running away with me!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
According to manton, a jacket with hacking pockets should be center-vented, if I understand him correctly.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
According to manton, a jacket with hacking pockets should be center-vented, if I understand him correctly.

I won't presume to speak for Manton, but I don't believe this to be the case. A hacking jacket has both hacking pockets and a center vent, traditionally, as the vent allows the jacket to spread nicely over one's horse. But hacking pockets have become common on sportcoats and more casual suit jackets, removing them from their equestrian context. To me, at least, there is no reason that they must be accompanied by a single vent.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, some riding jackets (that are really worn by equestrians!) are a bit shorter than usual and have double vents.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 281 33.3%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 132 15.6%
  • 31 - 40