• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

daniel craig getting great reviews

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems pretty gritty, I think we can thank Bourne Identity/supremacy for Bond getting back to his roots.

He defintily has the physical prescence to be a threat unlike many of the prevous Bonds.

If he can pull off the in control grace and confidence will be the deciding factor.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
...waiting in line for the tickets...

Of course his bond debut will be good, the question is whether the writers will contnue putting forth their best work. Goldeneye was great, but the movies that followed varied greatly in quality, generally trending downhill, until Die Another Day, which was ruined completely by the ice-sailboarding garbage.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have high hopes, and have already made plans to see the movie, but it will be tough to replace Connery's cool.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Goldeneye was great, but the movies that followed varied greatly in quality, generally trending downhill, until Die Another Day, which was ruined completely by the ice-sailboarding garbage.

You think that's all that ruined Die Another Day?

Duveen

Reaction score
For the love of G*d, countdemoney, where did you find that horrifying image?

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duveen
For the love of G*d, countdemoney, where did you find that horrifying image?

Shouldn't that call for a timeout from admin?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...waiting in line for the tickets...

Of course his bond debut will be good, the question is whether the writers will contnue putting forth their best work. Goldeneye was great, but the movies that followed varied greatly in quality, generally trending downhill, until Die Another Day, which was ruined completely by the ice-sailboarding garbage.

The plot and several other things were rather annoying. However, looking for intellectual stimulation in a Bond film is sort of...

However, it did have so many neat moments -- the vignette under the Tower Bridge, the sword fight, having Aston back, and that neat suit the villian wore while parachuting.

~ Huntsman

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was the seventies. It was all ok then.

I'm just wondering who's going to have those boots made.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Countdemoney,

OH MY GOD MY EYES MY EYES PLEASE MAKE IT STOP OH GOD

Yours Truly,

-Saucemaster

Newton

Reaction score
Daniel Craig. He was very Bond-esque in Layer Cake. Long may he live.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
You think that's all that ruined Die Another Day?

Well, no of course, there were too many other events requiring suspension of disbelief and judgment as in most - if not all - Bond films. The invisible car was a decent reminder of this, but the shot where they reach the cliff during the ice-sailboarding reminded me of something from Saturday Night Live. A cheap sketch shot.

After the Aston Martin, the palace of ice, the swordfight, John Cleese (!), all that work that betokens a high level of commitment and commensurate budget, the picture hits that sour note of the cliff shot - supposedly a climactic high point - and that was too much for me. Better they had left that part on the cutting room floor. I could have forgiven it early in the film, too, but for what it was, where it was placed, it broke the spell for me and I lost interest.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, no of course, there were too many other events requiring suspension of disbelief and judgment as in most - if not all - Bond films. The invisible car was a decent reminder of this, but the shot where they reach the cliff during the ice-sailboarding reminded me of something from Saturday Night Live. A cheap sketch shot.

After the Aston Martin, the palace of ice, the swordfight, John Cleese (!), all that work that betokens a high level of commitment and commensurate budget, the picture hits that sour note of the cliff shot - supposedly a climactic high point - and that was too much for me. Better they had left that part on the cutting room floor. I could have forgiven it early in the film, too, but for what it was, where it was placed, it broke the spell for me and I lost interest.

I thought the sword fight became extremely cheesy and completely unrealistic; in fact, camp. The parasail was fake and b grade. The car looked exceptional but a freaking ice palace that melts.

It was all so absurd. I'd rather rewatch something remotely in the realm of reality like from Russia with Love. Red Grant makes the best bond villian as he has no bizarre comic physical problem, he's ruthless, very fit, Bond counterpoint, but evil. One day they will learn that this makes for the best bond villians. Not re dna'ed with permanent diamond scars or whatever that mess was.

Best part for me though was Halle Berry in an oragne bikini coming out of the water. I have no complaints about this.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 29 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.9%
  • 31 - 40