Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Danica Patrick

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by skalogre, May 26, 2006.

1. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

Well I did see NHRA driver Melanie Troxel in a top fuel dragster this weekend. Hats off to her for strapping 7,000 horsepower to her back and become a top qualifier! I've seen Danica at Texas Motor Speedway, i have yet to see her dominate in the actual race, and ultimately that's what its going to come down to.

2. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Well I did see NHRA driver Melanie Troxel in a top fuel dragster this weekend. Hats off to her for strapping 7,000 horsepower to her back and become a top qualifier! I've seen Danica at Texas Motor Speedway, i have yet to see her dominate in the actual race, and ultimately that's what its going to come down to.

Yes. It wouldbe great to have more women in motorsports if they can stand on their own feet. My point is that if she were not female would have anyone made such a big deal out of her? Maybe we should treat drivers more like Top Gear's Stig; always in racing gear and anonymous [​IMG]

3. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

Couldn't agree more. But did you know in real life she's a mathematician?
    well, in that case, i'll give her a 6 1/2.[​IMG]

4. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Great Indy 500 today. Very entertaining. Exciting crashes, last second come from behind victory, A 19year old Andretti coming within 0.06 of winnin the Indy 500 in his first try. Danica, BTW, shuffled between 5-8th most of the race, but her car was obviously giving her some problems today. I believe she finished 8th.

5. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Great Indy 500 today. Very entertaining. Exciting crashes, last second come from behind victory, A 19year old Andretti coming within 0.06 of winnin the Indy 500 in his first try. Danica, BTW, shuffled between 5-8th most of the race, but her car was obviously giving her some problems today. I believe she finished 8th.

Still watching Monaco here...

6. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

Problem with Monaco is that it's a parade. Having said that, if I ever get the chance to go, I'm there.

7. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

I missed the race but saw the qualifying. I was overjoyed to hear that Schumi was stripped of his pole. He obviously cheated. It was blatant. You could see how nervous he was in the post-qual press conference. It locked up? Pleeeeaze. For a milisecond. So much for the world's greatest driver claims. Can't handle that corner.

As for the final result, I was very happy to see Coulthard on the podium. I have always been a fan of his and I think he deserves to have a good result.

b

8. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I missed the race but saw the qualifying. I was overjoyed to hear that Schumi was stripped of his pole. He obviously cheated. It was blatant. You could see how nervous he was in the post-qual press conference. It locked up? Pleeeeaze. For a milisecond. So much for the world's greatest driver claims. Can't handle that corner.

As for the final result, I was very happy to see Coulthard on the podium. I have always been a fan of his and I think he deserves to have a good result.

b

The whole incident was rather puzzling. If truly that was intentional, I fail to see why he needed that... considering he started 23rd and climbed up to 5th! Anyway, interestingly Alonzo was the one driver that semed to give him the benefit of the doubt; can you say sour grapes? Nice to see the top driver with an ego that does not match, say, Mansell's or Prost's...

P.s.
    Damn it, bring back Mikka Salo! Toyota are such a load of tossers.

9. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

If you fellas are interested. I put on a exhibition of Boris and Rainer Schlegelmilch. Father and son that have been taking F1 photos since the 1960's. They are at every race. I bought a beautifull b/w of Dan Gurney from the 1960's.
    the photos are huge and quite gorgeous! They are in print frequently in all major F1 publications and responsible for several books on sports cars. Great guys!
    go to:

Schlegelmilch.com

Let me know what you think.
    dprof

10. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

If you fellas are interested. I put on a exhibition of Boris and Rainer Schlegelmilch. Father and son that have been taking F1 photos since the 1960's. They are at every race. I bought a beautifull b/w of Dan Gurney from the 1960's.
    the photos are huge and quite gorgeous! They are in print frequently in all major F1 publications and responsible for several books on sports cars. Great guys!
    go to:

Schlegelmilch.com

Let me know what you think.
    dprof

Wow... I have a fascination with the '63 season (blame Grand Prix Legends for that one), there are some great shots there! Thanks!

11. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

So this is not a Kournikova-type situation as far as you are concerned? I know that the parallel has already been made by some of the automotive press.

Oh man, I never thought I'd see the day where I was a Kournikova defender...

As long as Danica never wins a race, she's just a lesser hotter version of Anna. People forget that Anna was actually supremely talented. I believe a top 3 junior, went to the Semis of Wimbledon as a teen, and of course, many many titles in doubles (was ranked #1 doubles for a bit, I believe) including grand slams. The problem with Anna was that she never got better, while all of her peers did. But when she first came out, her potential was considered quite high, and for good reasons. One could probably say that all the distractions just made her a lesser player than she could have been.

By the way, I don't find Anna *that* attractive. I wouldn't kick her out of bed, of course, but as far as celebrity hotness goes, she's a bit down on the depth chart.

12. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

From what I can tell, she's been pretty damn good in IndyCar, finishing third in points in 2004, finishing top 5 in 10 out of 12 races, etc.
    Yeah, but it's IndyCar, which isn't even good enough to be considered a farm series any more. Even at its best, CART racing was just a retirement league for Formula-1 drivers who want to try some oval-action. Mario Andretti, Emerson Fittipaldi, Nigel Mansell, and so on. (Also, didn't Damon Hill dip his toes over here once or twice after he and Patrick Head had their falling-out?) The disparity was clearly shown when Michael Andretti attempted to run in the big boy's league. (The only one of them who I think could've done well in F-1 was Bobby Rahal, but he never really got a shake, and even if given the best opportunity possible he would've been competing against Prost, Senna, Piquet, Mansell, rather than the thinner fields of the mid-late 1990s...) But then it was still fun to watch, until Tony George ruined open-wheel racing in the US by throwing his little temper-tantrum and hiving the IRL off of CART. But the bottom line is that it's not as if Danica Patrick is racing against the likes of Schumi or Barichello. Or even the Nascar boys, whoever they are.

13. chrysalid

chrysalid Senior member

which US formula did montoya move from?

14. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Oh, there are a couple who did the IndyCar-F1 transition. Another I can think of off the top of my head, maybe, is Jacques Villenenvue, though he may have jumped straight from Formula Atlantic into the big leagues. However, the numbers of F-1 drivers who decided that it would be fun to live in Florida and race on ovals every once in a while was far greater.

15. visionology

visionology Senior member

It's simple, in a male dominated sport, women sell. Remember that woman golfer who competed in the male only PGA tour? The coverage was nonstop. In her case it created controversey. Danica is good for the business because it gives women and little girls a reason to watch racing. If they have a possibility of opening their fanbase they will give her as much coverage as possible.

Yes though, I am sick of hearing about her, and I never liked how she looked, even when she was just a lowly host on the "Power Block" hour on tv. She hasn't won anything, as have plenty of other drivers, most of whom receive little to no recognition at all.