Dangers of ebay

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bengal-stripe, Apr 24, 2004.

1. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

2. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Well, sure, but neither rain, nor sleet, nor gloom of night stopped him from ripping people off, so you've gotta give him credit for that. Â [​IMG] The all-time most brazen eBay scam, in my opinion: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...ebay-fraud.htm. The moral of the story? If you're spending over $20,000 on "Wee Forest Folk" figurines... Just. Stop.

3. friendlyone

friendlyone Well-Known Member

Over the past few weeks, a German seller has had a number of Kiton items for sale on Ebay, at exceptionally low prices. I sent him an email to ask about the ties, essentially wondering whether they were used, but got no reply. So, I allowed myself to be outbid.

Then, I saw a Kiton suit, blue Super 150, not on auction but with a "buy it now" for around $550. The suit looked genuine, but almost no corroborating information was provided -- just a warning that the buyers should ask all questions before purchasing.

Given my earlier experience, and the very low price, I gave it a miss. But I still wonder whether I was prudent, or missed a big opportunity.

4. VMan

VMan Senior member

(From Nick's link) "Lebow bought Wee Forest Folk figurines, as did many of the auction customers. The figurines "” mostly mice in poses of different themes, such as holidays and sports "” are a popular collector's item and can go for hundreds of dollars apiece. Richardson also dealt in the more expensive Hummel figurines and Lladros." Wow. "Two customers say they each paid Richardson more than $20,000 for Wee Forest Folk figurines during the auction" How could you ever justify paying a sum of money that could be used to purchase a decent car on a "Wee Forest Folk figurine" [​IMG]

5. F4iryder14

F4iryder14 Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ... just the name alone cracks me up. Kevin

6. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

We'd better be careful - there are probably whole forums devoted to the discussion of "Wee Forest Folk". The WFFr's probably read the Style Forum for laughs  [​IMG]

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

God, yes. And especially this: "The figurines "” mostly mice in poses of different themes, such as holidays and sports"