• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dangers of buying clothing from the 80s and before

Nichflyte

Reaction score
I have found an interesting looking bespoke jacket from 1988 on ebay that should fit me quite well. However, I have never purchased used suits or blazers online before and I am especially concerned given the jacket's age, what in particular should I be looking for in terms of possible issues with it?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No issues. If its a good jacket, good style, fits well then go for it. In 1985 I bought a silver worsted and silk sharkskin jacket in Afflecks palace in Manchester for 15 quid. The jacket was obviously made in the early sixties, very mod, slim lapels, three buttons. Its approximatelythe same age as me and still gets worn from time to time.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nichflyte
I have found an interesting looking bespoke jacket from 1988 on ebay that should fit me quite well. However, I have never purchased used suits or blazers online before and I am especially concerned given the jacket's age, what in particular should I be looking for in terms of possible issues with it?

The lapels are the main thing that can make a suit look dated, just make sure they're of a reasonable width and the gorge isn't too low. Certain fabrics can look kinda dated too, you'll just have to use your own eye to judge whether that's the case.

As long as it's been looked after there shouldn't necessarily be any problems with wear. As long as there are no holes or tears, which you would hope the seller would mention if there were, then there's no reason to believe there should be any issues in that respect.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Issues would be that the garment is bespoke and cut for a particular individual and his physique. You could run into odd balance issues or shoulder slope that were unique to the original owner and not compatible with you. You won't know what you have until you try it on.

Korki Bucheck

Reaction score
I was 100% certain that this thread was going to be a story about finding cocaine in the hidden pocket in a thrift-store sport coat. I would be aware of this issue as well, just for future reference.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The danger to me, is not buying vintage clothes but buying them on ebay.

Anything item of clothing more than 10 years old would best be bought in person. You can check for damage (moth or otherwise), stench, and any undesirable traits that will not show up in the photos or ebay descriptions. This is on top of potential issues such as fit.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Biggest danger with 80s clothes would be finding some vintage, aged coke in one of the pockets. And that's only a "danger" to you if your life is predicated on being lame.

butterflystyle

Reaction score
RunningSeagulls.jpg
You've been warned...

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Korki Bucheck
I was 100% certain that this thread was going to be a story about finding cocaine in the hidden pocket in a thrift-store sport coat. I would be aware of this issue as well, just for future reference.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
But that was a bonus instead.

Is that " snortable " after almost 30 years ?
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by butterflystyle
RunningSeagulls.jpg

You've been warned...

That greenish shirt has almost ideal drape.

-

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a late 60's Kilgour tweed sportcoat on ebay a few months ago. I had the arms taken up at the shoulder and it fits very nicely. The measurements, except for the arm length was nearly exact for my best fitting jackets, so I thought it worth the gamble.

I have only worn it at home as the season hasn't matched a tweed jacket, but I think it worked out well. I asked for a few additional photos, including the inside lining.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman
I bought a late 60's Kilgour tweed sportcoat on ebay a few months ago. I had the arms taken up at the shoulder and it fits very nicely. The measurements, except for the arm length was nearly exact for my best fitting jackets, so I thought it worth the gamble. I have only worn it at home as the season hasn't matched a tweed jacket, but I think it worked out well. I asked for a few additional photos, including the inside lining.
I think I sold you that one. The interesting thing about it, date-wise, is that the label was faded so the make date could not be read. But the coat proportions were so well balanced that the coat did not belong to any particular time.
Originally Posted by upnorth
The danger to me, is not buying vintage clothes but buying them on ebay. Anything item of clothing more than 10 years old would best be bought in person. You can check for damage (moth or otherwise), stench, and any undesirable traits that will not show up in the photos or ebay descriptions. This is on top of potential issues such as fit.
The issue is not the age of the item, the issue is the honesty and professionalism of the seller.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
I think I sold you that one. The interesting thing about it, date-wise, is that the label was faded so the make date could not be read. But the coat proportions were so well balanced that the coat did not belong to any particular time.
You did. And, I agree. The only thing that gave it a true date was that it was from Kilgour before they moved to their current location. They were still 33A Dover St. at the time. As long as you don't buy for fashion, well made jackets are timeless. On the particular jacket I bought from you, the lapel width, gorge, pockets, and other distinctive features are non-distinctive. They are classic. All that said, the key is to buy older garments based upon sizing and condition (the pictures are key if you can't see it in person) and regardless of maker, buy only those things that you think are your style or classic, not someone else's or time's quirks.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by butterflystyle
RunningSeagulls.jpg

You've been warned...

hey, i liked those guys.

the funny thing is, mike score (lead singer) was actually a former hairdresser.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads