• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dandy style movement in the Congo

lincolnshirepaul

Reaction score
Very cool. Most of those men are very well dressed.

I'm noticed that often the less developed a country is, the more stylish its people are.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This guy wins for me:

sape4.jpg

TheBurnOut

Reaction score
Loads of Sprezz...

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For living in desperately poor, war torn slums some of these guys actually look pretty fresh.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lincolnshirepaul

I'm noticed that often the less developed a country is, the more stylish(read:corrupt) its people are.

FTFY

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lincolnshirepaul

I'm noticed that often the less developed a country is, the more stylish its people are.

There seems to be this love for sticking three squares into their pocket. Most of them look like crap but rock baller shoes. Some of the more subdued looks are pretty sharp, though.

But props to them for doing what they like, i suppose. I was just a bit shocked by how nice the shoes were compared to alot of the outfits.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Navi
There seems to be this love for sticking three squares into their pocket. Most of them look like crap but rock baller shoes. Some of the more subdued looks are pretty sharp, though.

But props to them for doing what they like, i suppose. I was just a bit shocked by how nice the shoes were compared to alot of the outfits.

You don't get the Sapeurs movement...

It is about being over the top , being noticed in the street...

A sapeur will live in a 8 square meters bedroom and still wear his Lobbs or Westons...

CaymanS

Reaction score
3urkx6k

"A Congolese Sapeur is a happy man even if he does not eat, because wearing proper clothes feeds the soul and gives pleasure to the body. "

^ Understood, but if the guy on the far right doesn't get a sandwich soon, he isn't gonna last long.

CaymanS

Reaction score
http://www.africafeed.com/post/73905...-gucci-loafers

They're trying to prove a point (I guess) but it just makes the whole thing look even more sad and desperate.

I suppose these guys are not much unlike that hostess in a Manhattan club saving every last nickel until she can afford Birkin, even foregoing meals and basic neccessities.

Materialism is a *****.

42wol2l

mrjames

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CaymanS
even foregoing meals and basic neccessities.

guilty as charged...

mrjames

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CaymanS
They're trying to prove a point (I guess) but it just makes the whole thing look even more sad and desperate.

I think it's more about promoting the idea that you can get what you want if you work hard for it and strive to obtain- whether that's a better life, or a better suit; I think it's a possitive message, presentation of hope I guess

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads