• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dandy and the underworld - denied entry to US

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More from our dandy friend, Sebastian Horsley.
Heard his interview/monologue on npr last night.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=88685073

Some excerpts:

The only way of tolerating existence is to lose oneself in a perpetual orgy of absurdity.
Dandyism is social, human and intellectual. It is not a suit of clothes walking about by itself. Clothes are merely a part "” they may even be the least important part of the personality of the dandy. Dandyism isn't image encrusted with flourishes. It's a way of stripping yourself down to your true self. You can only judge the style by the content and you can only reach the content through the style.

He was turned away.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/arts...-Deported.html

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Fall2007CommedesGarcons%5B1%5D.jpg

I feel safer.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The immigration forms in the US are so 1975... The box about having ever engaged in communist activities always gives foreigners a good laugh.

I may be alone here but, honestly, how lame and backwards is it to deny entry into the land of liberty and freedom on grounds of "moral turpitude"? If he was carrying drugs, I would understand...

I am not jumping to conclusions either as it may very well be a publicity stunt on his part, i.e. he gave all the wrong answers to make sure he gets kicked out. But who knows?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I am not jumping to conclusions either as it may very well be a publicity stunt on his part, i.e. he gave all the wrong answers to make sure he gets kicked out. But who knows?

That's my guess.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
My what an ugly knot that is.

decadence2.jpg

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am glad immigration didn't let him in. Let him crawl across the border from Mexico like everyone else. Besides, who needs him? We have plenty of useless people here already who can do nothing and take drugs just as well as he can. Why should they have to lose their joblessness, sober up and work so some foreigner can come here and do their nothing?

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heard he bases his outfits on advice from some obscure book called "The Suit" read while under the influence of mind altering substances.
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oscarthewild
Heard he bases his outfits on advice from some obscure book called "The Suit" read while under the influence of mind altering substances.
smile.gif

Not to mention written under the influence of ...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Seriously, I had no idea that they asked these questions on entry to the US. Is there really a form for foreigners to fill out that asks about lifestyle/morality questions?

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually I see Horsley's book less as the estranged Doppelgänger of "The Suit" than another path to sartorial awareness. "The Suit" informs you of the rules, the history etc. Its audience is primarily one who have swallowed the sartorial pill. SB writings reach out to an audience that would probably not have been so aware of the wonderful and financially ruinous world of dressing. (Note to self: Check on funding opportunities for sartorial outreach programs). However, it may start many on the path to learning which may take them toward "The Suit".

-

jpb

Reaction score
I believe it's actually standard on just about all visas forms these days to ask if you have been a terrorist or supported terrorism, been an illegal drug/human trafficker, plotted to overthrow any government, etc. Certainly all the ones I've seen the last few years do. It isn't anything unique to the United States.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Seriously, I had no idea that they asked these questions on entry to the US. Is there really a form for foreigners to fill out that asks about lifestyle/morality questions?
It's not as bad as it used to be, at least in written form. This is the arrival form: http://usadutch.com/images/I-94_back.jpg

IIRC, there used to be a question on whether you've ever been a member of the Communist party. That was when I was younger, maybe 15 years ago. Drug use is still on the form

Verbally though, the immigration officer has virtually unlimited powers to deny entry because of all the leeway given to him/her by immigration laws. e.g. membership of Communist party is still a ground for denial even if it's not a box on the form any more

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpb
I believe it's actually standard on just about all visas forms these days to ask if you have been a terrorist or supported terrorism, been an illegal drug/human trafficker, plotted to overthrow any government, etc. Certainly all the ones I've seen the last few years do. It isn't anything unique to the United States.

Do they also ask if you are a liar? I am sure the terrorists lie and don't admit they are terrorists, so how will we know unless we also ask if they are liars?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
All Cretans are liars, says a Cretan. True or false?

Maybe they should have boxes to check off in case you are an atheist or a homersexual, or an islam.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
So that's the arrival form under Visa Waiver? Wow.

I'm used to forms with questions like "Have to been to a farm recently?" and "Are you travelling with your pet fruit flies?"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics