• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

dandy, affected?

javier bp

Reaction score
Hi--

New to the Forum, thought this could be a good place to settle an argument. My Hungarian girlfriend has issues with my dress habits, specifically with my taste in hosiery. I generally wear sheer silk socks (over-the-calf) with just about everything--even jeans. I pushed the envelope today, pairing my black Prada logo loafers and Just Cavalli jeans with pink silk hose. I feel like it's my trademark, my look, etc; she says "over the top," "gigolo-like," "pimpish," and my favorite, "big-face," which means egocentric or arrogant here in Hungary. Please be honest, be brutal if you have to, just let me have it. What do you think?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Okay, I'll be honest: your girlfriend's right. The fineness, dressiness, shininess, and delicacy of sheer silk hose just clashes with the heaviness and roughness of jeans. I wouldn't wear them with cords, moleskins, or chinos, either. I like your color combinations, just not your fabric and garment combinations.

And your shoes are the subject of a different thread entirely.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And your shoes are the subject of a different thread entirely.

I feel like it's my trademark, my look, etc
If it`s your style, I wouldn`t worry about what others think. You were wearing this trademark look when you met your Girlfriend, right?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i was going to say the same thing, you are in Hungary and of all things wearing Prada???

anyways, welcome to the forum.

yes, like teacher said, silk and other sheer very dressy socks will not go well with jeans. you can use a fuller cotton or wool sock that are dressy and still use those favorite colors of yours.

but still, if that is your statement, that is fine. i think we all have done something or do wear something favorite to us that is peculiar to others or rub the rules the wrong way. have fun with it!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do not like sheer silk hose in any circumstance even black-tie. There's something perverse about it.

However, I think sheer pink hose is an interesting item and I don't think it could look too odd with denim if done correctly.

Ramses

Reaction score
I have socks every color of the rainbow , wear what you want

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by muelleran
Pink is for toreros

Yeah, but those trousers need more break.

Seriously, it sounds like you should be wearing heavier socks, but outside of that I would not cast stones at pink or any other odd color of sock. Now, if you're matching your sheer socks to your feather boa, then I would have concerns.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
More importantly, why in the world are you wearing Prada and not Vass U-Last?

U last is "big-face". The F last is a much better choice for men. If we are talking about men.

@LK: However, I think sheer pink hose is an interesting item and I don't think it could look too odd with denim if done correctly.

I second that.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am reminded of the tantalous performance of Salome's Dance of the Seven Veils by Mary Garden. Such haute eroticism falls victim to preciousness if not before a sufficiently cultured audience, which I fear was the case when she toured America. The trite irony is that she would have fared better with the sans culottes.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
U last is "big-face". The F last is a much better choice for men. If we are talking about men.

huh? so elegant = big face and clunky = real man?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 29 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.9%
  • 31 - 40