• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dance Punk Music Genre

Star

Reaction score
Was wondering if there were any fans of this genre music.

Looking for a list of Top 10 greatest Dance Punk Songs/Anthems.

Currently listening to single 'Kids' by MGMT ( from Brooklyn) classed I think as either Alternate Rock or Dance Punk.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Rapture, !!!, Out Hud, Panthers, ESG, Liquid Liquid, Liars (Album called They Threw Us In A Trench), Supersystem (they have one good song, I was Born into the World), James Chance, Chromatics, GoGoGo Airheart, older Moving Units (their EP is great, their albums not so much), Liquid Liquid

that should get you started.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Liquid Liquid are more proto-dance punk and are awesome. I mostly get my dance punk kicks from Crystal Castles and Health now, but the !!!/Out Hud clique is some of the best live music I have seen.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thinking of both dance-punk (circa 2002-3) and dancey-punk

Rapture - House of Jealous Lovers
LCD Soundsystem - Losing My Edge
Radio 4 - Dance to the Underground
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Bang
Wire - Three Girl Rhumba
The Clash - Magnificent Dance

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Le Shok!

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it counts as dance punk but Glasscandy from that Italians Do it Better label is sick. Saw them at Sonar in Baltimore, which is usually a lame hipster spot, but that night was out of control.

James_Black

Reaction score
The original thread term means...well, not a lot. Plenty of bands could fit under the umbrella. You might want to first check out ZE Records. Amazing NY label from the late 70s and early 80s that focused on both No Wave and Disco. Was (Not Was), Kid Creole, Cristina, James Chance (already mentioned), Lizzy Mercier Descloux, and tons others (They have Mutant Disco and No Wave comps). There's also 99 Records, which put out Liquid Liquid, Shriekback, ESG, Bush Tetras...everything is amazing. Guess there's also Pete Shelley's early solo material, Arthur Russell's Dinosaur L...my brain is kind of crapping out trying to connect the dots. There's also the New York Noise compliations on Soul Jazz, the Arthur Russell on Soul Jazz, Pigbag, Pop Group...

There aren't many current groups that grab my attention in the same way as the original stuff. But the Notwave comp that DFA/Rong put out this fall is great. DFA is the best current label. Just pick up their comps #1 and #2. Out Hud's first album was great, !!! are totes awesome, and Maurice Fulton is a genius (but only MU might fall under "dance punk"--check out both MU albums!).

Sorry for the rambling, but 78-84 is probably my favorite time in music, so it's hard to pick and choose.

James_Black

Reaction score
Also, Italians Do It Better isn't "dance punk" really. I have had great times listening to Mike Simonetti DJ, love Troubleman, and some of IDIB but most of it comes off as hipsters making disco with all the fun, soul or camp sucked out of it. Professor Genius, Invisible Conga People and that one Tiedye Metallica cover were good but...ehhh. Not my thing. Not trying to hate, cos it would probably be relavant to check out Mike and Dan Selzer's Crazy Rhythm's mix on RVNG: http://www.discogs.com/release/574486

Maybe you might enjoy Optimo out of Glasgow. They blend anything and everything together, but so seamlessly and perfectly. The best introduction would probably be How to Kill the DJ pt 2 http://www.discogs.com/release/323830 but my favorite is Psyche Out. They're ALWAYS killer. Cept for the last time I saw them at Studio B. Did not enjoy it at all. Oh well.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
some of it is ok and catchy

I really like The Adored from LA

The BloodArm get a lot of local press and a couple years ago Franz Ferdinand guys said this was the best band they'd heard that year

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LCD soundsytem FTW. Hot Chip. anything on the dfa label. If that **** dont get you moving then you aint got a pulse.

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
LCD soundsytem FTW. Hot Chip. anything on the dfa label. If that **** dont get you moving then you aint got a pulse.

it got my lunch moving. does that count?

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Rapture, !!!, Out Hud, Panthers, ESG, Liquid Liquid, Liars (Album called They Threw Us In A Trench), Supersystem (they have one good song, I was Born into the World), James Chance, Chromatics, GoGoGo Airheart, older Moving Units (their EP is great, their albums not so much), Liquid Liquid

that should get you started.

Necrothread - just found the Chromatics in the city. haunting.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no passion pit?

grouper

Reaction score
passion pit isn't dance punk and neither is Crystal Castles. if you are looking for dancepunk, !!! - Myth Takes and The Rapture - Pieces Of The People We Love are good albums to start with. "House Of Jealous Lovers" is probably a better album but it's not nearly as accessible as POTPWL.

Friendly Fires' self titled album is also excellent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads