• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dan Savage

TheNinthWave

Reaction score
I disagree with the notion that Dan Savage has something against Christians. He's simply against their religion - as any sane person would be. Ooops, did I just come out as an ultra liberal?
tongue.gif

Seriously, I an atheist and also an anti-theist. I consider all religions to be absolute poison and we would be better without them. In fact, I believe we can evolve further as a species only if we get rid of them. However, I know the difference between one's personal faith and religion. I don't have a problem with anyone's personal faith. But I do have a problem with religions and I'm quite sure Dan Savage is the same way. So I think one must not confuse being against Christians with being against Christianity.

And while Savage expresses himself in a provocative way, he also does have a point regarding GOP. As a party, it's a loony bin. Look at their presidential candidates... Really, they are a bunch of stupid, unintelligent clowns. (Surprise or not, they are also all quite religious... Just sayin'...) Very different from how GOP used to be. Even in the 1990s when they were hunting Clinton they were still otherwise somewhat reasonable. Not anymore. Like I said, it's a loony bin.

And yes, Dan Savage gives excellent, sensible relationship advice.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree with the notion that Dan Savage has something against Christians. He's simply against their religion - as any sane person would be. Ooops, did I just come out as an ultra liberal?
tongue.gif

Seriously, I an atheist and also an anti-theist. I consider all religions to be absolute poison and we would be better without them. In fact, I believe we can evolve further as a species only if we get rid of them. However, I know the difference between one's personal faith and religion. I don't have a problem with anyone's personal faith. But I do have a problem with religions and I'm quite sure Dan Savage is the same way. So I think one must not confuse being against Christians with being against Christianity.

And while Savage expresses himself in a provocative way, he also does have a point regarding GOP. As a party, it's a loony bin. Look at their presidential candidates... Really, they are a bunch of stupid, unintelligent clowns. (Surprise or not, they are also all quite religious... Just sayin'...) Very different from how GOP used to be. Even in the 1990s when they were hunting Clinton they were still otherwise somewhat reasonable. Not anymore. Like I said, it's a loony bin.

Dan Savage should know better, as a public figure, that his mouth should be sized properly before it opens. Even so, too many people, especially those whom are religiously affiliated, get butt-hurted over comments. Again, as a public figure, in public talks, Dan Savage should best keep the conversation at a discussion level, not at a criticizing level, even for the First Amendment practice, which can back-fire worse than an overloaded cartridge in a vintage rifle.

You, on the other hand, are less subjected to criticism, since you are part of the public, not a public figure, and thus, are much more entitled to freedom of expression. However, be aware that it can bring horrid **** storms to your door.
crazy.gif

Religions or belief is actually kind of a good thing. It is not like everybody can hand themselves to a psychologist and trust them perfectly - one of the hardest thing of being a psychotherapist/ psychologist/psycho-counselor is actually when the patient or interviewee is lying - and having a belief of some sort can really put people in a better mental state. However, like you said, certain times, religions are heavily twisted beyond anybody's recognition. In psychology, positive thoughts are overall recommended, some of which, we have to accept their affiliation to a religion. We can only criticize those whom fell for their belief and harbor harm to others around them.

Here in Washington it may get a little difficult for me to get Savage's radio show. I may have to look over his stuffs on YouTube.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I disagree with the notion that Dan Savage has something against Christians. He's simply against their religion - as any sane person would be. Ooops, did I just come out as an ultra liberal? :p

If his issue is against religion, fine, but what I am saying is he makes broad statements about Christians and Republicans all of the time. The same kinds of statements that ultra liberals are so quick to scream, "racist!", "sexist!" and the like all of the time. I am just saying he is a hypocrite and it isn't ok to make observations, or general statements about any group unless it is people in a part of a Christian religion, or a republican.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads