• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Damned salt!!!  What the hell happened to my shoes???

Cayne-Abel

Reaction score
So I had the bright idea of not checking the weather report before heading out to court on Tuesday morning (I live in NYC), and I put on my brand new Allen Edmonds and proceeded to put them through absolute hell. Â I stepped in about a half dozen nasty, deep puddles of slush, almost entirely submerging the shoes at one or two points. Â I got back to the office and noticed a salt-like residue, which I quickly wiped off with a wet paper towel. Â

When I got home, I noticed these raised "ridges" or lines on the leather, right where the salt had made its line. Â I put on a generous layer of Lexol conditioner, then polished the affected areas. Â The next day, I took it to a shoe repair place. Â The lady at the counter told me that applying Lexol was a terrible idea. Â She said she'd use saddle soap to get rid of the salt in the leather. Â I asked "doesn't saddle soap dry out the leather?" to which she replied "nah, if anything, it protects it." Â I came back to the shop at the end of the day, and she told me that they washed the leather with saddle soap a bunch of times ("the salt just kept coming out") and finally conditioned and polished them. Â This is how they came out:

photo1bm.jpg

photo2xu.jpg

photo3lg.jpg

photo4lo.jpg

The leather looks awfully dry and seems to have lost some of its smoothness. Â There also this strange whitish "haze" to the leather, although it might just be a result of the way the light hits the (now less-smooth) surface of the leather. (The ridges caused by the salt are still there, but not as pronounced.)

Any idea on what happened and what I can do? Â Did those morons use too much saddle soap? Â What should I do now?

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoe up! AE were made just for foul weather
devil.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
now buy a pair of rain boots and put your good shoes in your bag.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to tell from your pics, but if you indeed put your pair through hell on your first wear, they kind actually look pretty good. Not sure what ridges you are talking about.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Hard to tell from your pics, but if you indeed put your pair through hell on your first wear, they kind actually look pretty good. Not sure what ridges you are talking about.

+1

Really straining to see what's wrong here. Those "ridges" to which you are referring look like standard-issue creases from wear to me. Dress shoes will wrinkle like that. Especially RTW shoes.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you want to make due without rain boots you're going to need to hire a driver.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone who gets salt on their shoes, DESERVES to get salt on their shoes.
teacha.gif

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
You should have let the dry out for a couple days before you did anything.
Yep +1

Cayne-Abel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley

Actually, this was about my 15th wear. But anyway, the ridges aren't the issue at this point - they aren't terribly noticeable even from close range, and I'm sure it'll improve with polish over time - rather, the issue is the smoothness that the leather seems to have lost.

Should I drench those things in conditioner or what?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cayne-Abel
Actually, this was about my 15th wear. But anyway, the ridges aren't the issue at this point - they aren't terribly noticeable even from close range, and I'm sure it'll improve with polish over time - rather, the issue is the smoothness that the leather seems to have lost. Should I drench those things in conditioner or what?
You should never expose leather footwear (especially leather soled footwear) to the elements (water, snow, salt or slush) in the first place. Please purchase some galoshes. Remember old wise saying: 'An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure'.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would mos def just throw those shoes in the garbage or (much better) donate them to a shelter, b/c they are useless now

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Bummer, but unlike many of the typical wise-ass, non-responsive replies this site is famous for and you got, let me offer an answer: the standard treatment for salt is a rubdown with a vinegar/water mix, although depending on the damage, it is not a 100% cure. I live in a city that uses more salt than anywhere and while I take extra precautions, my wife, with her 20 pairs of $229 "fashion boots" does not. I have used the salt solution with more success than anything else, but the ridge deal is a *****. You may have to strip the polish with saddle soap (sorry to take you backwards) so you can get to the goddamn salt. You should see what it does to cars here! Finally AE's are perfectly acceptable shoes, notwithstanding the snotty EG devotees on this site. You could put a pair of Lobbs through the same abuse and they wouldn't hold up any better. So, don't feel bad about that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads