• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DAMN you, Styleforum!!

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess one of the unfortunate side effects of reading the Styleforum on a regular basis is that it MAKES ME BUY NEW THINGS.

Especially bad are the posts from people who actually know what they are talking about, as the more I learn the more critical my "eye" for buying new items. As I have recently identified a trend in my wardrobe, that of "jackets too long," I have been replacing suits and sportcoats (altho I DO plan to have less items, yet each will be as close to perfection in cut/ fit as I can get) quickly-- my two newest splurges:

Oxxford "Renaissance Cloth" herringbone sportcoat (beige+light olive), double vented three button.

Brioni light grey SB 3 button suit, wool and cashmere 3 button, double vented (IF the seller takes me up on my offer this week....)

So, those of you new to the forum, beware. You, too, could end up like me.....ugh. this is gettin expensive.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain
tounge.gif

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess one of the unfortunate side effects of reading the Styleforum on a regular basis is that it MAKES ME BUY  NEW THINGS.  

Especially bad are the posts from people who actually know what they are talking about, as the more I learn the more critical my "eye" for buying new items.  As I have recently identified a trend in my wardrobe, that of "jackets too long," I have been replacing suits and sportcoats (altho I DO plan to have less items, yet each will be as close to perfection in cut/ fit as I can get) quickly-- my two newest splurges:

Oxxford "Renaissance Cloth" herringbone sportcoat (beige+light olive), double vented three button.

Brioni light grey SB 3 button suit, wool and cashmere 3 button, double vented (IF the seller takes me up on my offer this week....)

So, those of you new to the forum, beware.  You, too, could end up like me.....ugh. this is gettin expensive.
Those two garments should provide you with years of comfort and happiness, though.

koji

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foxx, in the long run you will be wise to buy garments that will satisfy you, at least as long as satisfaction prevents unnecessary splurges. I've been spending more on less (and more perfect) items lately, and I've found it's paid dividends.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also must note that sportcoats look better shorter than suit jackets for some reason. I won't go any shorter than about 32" for a suit coat, but I would be willing to go 31.25" for a sportcoat.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny.  Using SF has helped me to spend less.  I purchase more--how can one say?--more accurately.

petescolari

Reaction score
Those two purchases sound awesome. Lucky you to find a double vented Oxxford. I don't see too many of those.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I spend more or less -- though I suspect I spend more -- but I do value SF for its peerless educational value. An already proud wardrobe is even more gear thanks to many of the members opening my eyes about aspects of clothing I hadn't given much thought to.

pitonboy

Reaction score
For clothing, I have been able to spend the same but to get better quality (no more Armani suits but Isaia and Barbera and such for less). For shoes, however, it is another story. I had no idea that there were such beautiful things as EGs or Lobbs to which I am now habituated (not to say addicted). And I have not even gotten to Lattanzi or Berluti yet. Well, if I have to collect something, it might as well be utilatarian also.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also must note that sportcoats look better shorter than suit jackets for some reason.  I won't go any shorter than about 32" for a suit coat, but I would be willing to go 31.25" for a sportcoat.
Because a sportscoat contrasts with slacks, you want the jacket hem to be as close to the Flusserian ideal (halfway between ground and collar) as possible.  A suit jacket can run a little longer because it blends together with the suit slacks.  That's my guess.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey Foxx, I think all your sleeves are too long, you should redo your whole wardrobe Â
wink.gif
Â
biggrin.gif

modsquad

Reaction score
Ambulance Chaser,

That's a great size metric, I never heard that before. (I haven't read my classics, I guess.) Does Flusser mean the coat collar or the shirt collar? And if the latter, does he mean the top (sticking out just above the jacket) or the bottom (where the jacket hits the collar)?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does Flusser mean the coat collar or the shirt collar?  And if the latter, does he mean the top (sticking out just above the jacket) or the bottom (where the jacket hits the collar)?
Bottom of the jacket collar to the ground.  Although Flusser gets some grief on this forum, no one has disputed this method of calculating an appropriate jacket length.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads