1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

DAMN you, Styleforum!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The_Foxx, Feb 15, 2005.

1. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

I guess one of the unfortunate side effects of reading the Styleforum on a regular basis is that it MAKES ME BUY NEW THINGS.

Especially bad are the posts from people who actually know what they are talking about, as the more I learn the more critical my "eye" for buying new items. As I have recently identified a trend in my wardrobe, that of "jackets too long," I have been replacing suits and sportcoats (altho I DO plan to have less items, yet each will be as close to perfection in cut/ fit as I can get) quickly-- my two newest splurges:

Oxxford "Renaissance Cloth" herringbone sportcoat (beige+light olive), double vented three button.

Brioni light grey SB 3 button suit, wool and cashmere 3 button, double vented (IF the seller takes me up on my offer this week....)

So, those of you new to the forum, beware. You, too, could end up like me.....ugh. this is gettin expensive.

2. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

I feel your pain [​IMG]

3. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Those two garments should provide you with years of comfort and happiness, though.

koji

4. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Foxx, in the long run you will be wise to buy garments that will satisfy you, at least as long as satisfaction prevents unnecessary splurges. I've been spending more on less (and more perfect) items lately, and I've found it's paid dividends.

5. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I also must note that sportcoats look better shorter than suit jackets for some reason. I won't go any shorter than about 32" for a suit coat, but I would be willing to go 31.25" for a sportcoat.

6. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Funny.  Using SF has helped me to spend less.  I purchase more--how can one say?--more accurately.

7. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Exactly. Me too

8. petescolari

petescolari Senior member

Those two purchases sound awesome. Lucky you to find a double vented Oxxford. I don't see too many of those.

9. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

The post title should read: "DAMN you, Styleforum.., more knowledge, more $$ well spent." [​IMG]

10. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I don't know if I spend more or less -- though I suspect I spend more -- but I do value SF for its peerless educational value. An already proud wardrobe is even more gear thanks to many of the members opening my eyes about aspects of clothing I hadn't given much thought to.

11. pitonboy

pitonboy Well-Known Member

For clothing, I have been able to spend the same but to get better quality (no more Armani suits but Isaia and Barbera and such for less). For shoes, however, it is another story. I had no idea that there were such beautiful things as EGs or Lobbs to which I am now habituated (not to say addicted). And I have not even gotten to Lattanzi or Berluti yet. Well, if I have to collect something, it might as well be utilatarian also.

12. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Because a sportscoat contrasts with slacks, you want the jacket hem to be as close to the Flusserian ideal (halfway between ground and collar) as possible.  A suit jacket can run a little longer because it blends together with the suit slacks.  That's my guess.

13. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hey Foxx, I think all your sleeves are too long, you should redo your whole wardrobe  [​IMG]  [​IMG]

14. modsquad

modsquad Senior member

Ambulance Chaser,

That's a great size metric, I never heard that before. (I haven't read my classics, I guess.) Does Flusser mean the coat collar or the shirt collar? And if the latter, does he mean the top (sticking out just above the jacket) or the bottom (where the jacket hits the collar)?

15. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Bottom of the jacket collar to the ground.  Although Flusser gets some grief on this forum, no one has disputed this method of calculating an appropriate jacket length.

16. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

since the subject of jacket length came up in the thread, thought i'd throw in my 'rule of thumb,' which is exactly that-- i base the length of my jackets on my hands, ensuring the jacket is slightly shorter than the tip of my thumb. isn't that the flusser philosophy, rather than distance between floor and top of jacket (or one's head?), as arm and leg length would play important parts in the overall look of the jacket?

17. j

j Senior member Admin

No, IIRC Flusser specifically rejects the rule of thumb, not only because people's arms are often different lengths, but also because one's arm length has little relation to the proper jacket length. If it works for you, though, do it. Some people are built that way. For me, (long arms, short torso) it would not work.