• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Damn you Flathead, your so hairy!

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
First off, love the fit/style of flathead shirts and their denim is great.

SOmeone who knows mega all 'bout denim explain to me why the denim is so hairy... is this good or bad?

I'm really interested to know from a technical point of view.

Reaction score
the denim is not singed

danilo

Reaction score
mine had a bunch of peach fuzz after a soak... but it starts going away the more you use them

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This hairy texture you're referring to is a very common characteristic from denim that is made of unsanforized cotton.

The sanforization process that cotton goes through essentially destroys (compresses) all the extremely small microscopic fibers that would normally be seen once the denim has come to life (soaked in water to allow the fibers to open up).

And just like DDML said, it's partly because the denim hasn't been singed to remove the excess fibers from the warp.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
This hairy texture you're referring to is a very common characteristic from denim that is made of unsanforized cotton.

The sanforization process that cotton goes through essentially destroys (compresses) all the extremely small microscopic fibers that would normally be seen once the denim has come to life (soaked in water to allow the fibers to open up).

And just like DDML said, it's partly because the denim hasn't been singed to remove the excess fibers from the warp.

Hmm, never thought sanforizing destroyed the hairy texture but it does make some sense. The exception to the rule I suppose is the older generation RRLs that came hairy AND sanforized:
cimg5297rx4.jpg

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah, jeans such as Flat Head aren't mercerized or calenderized.
The lack of sanforization, and both processes mentioned above are what attributes the super intense fading properties of the denim from Flat Head. The raw form of cotton without any process of compacting before or after woven into denim yields denim with strong character.
I'm working with Cone right now to get a denim that's similar to what we're all after, a strong fade, vertical falling, and a deep indigo start.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
For the record, the opposite of what we're all talking about would be denim from APC, Imperial, and most Nudie fabrics.
Those are all mercerized, which is where that strong sheen that people like so much comes from.

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
For the record, the opposite of what we're all talking about would be denim from APC, Imperial, and most Nudie fabrics.
Those are all mercerized, which is where that strong sheen that people like so much comes from.

I do like the sheen that comes off my nudies and apc's.... will flathead denim ever get to that point or will it just remain a big, nasty, hairy 5-pocket pant?

Pangolin

Reaction score
I'm working with Cone right now to produce a denim that's similar to what we're all after, a strong fade, vertical falling, and a deep indigo start.

Eternal? Omnigod? It's good to hear you're working with Cone. Is it too early to ask what kind of project you're working on?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where did Eternal and Omnigod come from?

Pangolin

Reaction score
They're known for their denim with strong vertical falling. Both brands also offer a denim extremely dark and produce fades with a lot of contrast. Some of my favorite denims.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was refering to Kiya's post about the kind of denim he is developping.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KennyGhetzoff
I do like the sheen that comes off my nudies and apc's.... will flathead denim ever get to that point or will it just remain a big, nasty, hairy 5-pocket pant?
Abrasion will take care of the hairs. Cherish them while they are there. And sheen will come along; that's a result of compression of the threads. Just don't wash for a while. A wash encourages the remaining hairs to stand up and say "allo! allo! allo!" and your sheen will go bye-bye as the fibers relax. You gotta let the bad blood out and keep the good blood in.
confused.gif

the etruscan

Reaction score
If you really hate them, an extremely hot ironing will get rid of them. But it is more fun to leave them!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads