• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Damn Brioni Ties

pfr0g

Reaction score
Cant even look for a Brioni tie on ebay with all those damn fakes
musicboohoo[1].gif

In case anyone was born yesturday dont buy any of the Brioni ties from Lebonon and the like.

leconnaisseur

Reaction score
Funny you mention it...

I have just been looking at brioni ties at eBay.

There are two sellers, one from Lebanon and one from Jordan, who somehow have truck loads of brioni ties in every color imaginable.
rimshot.gif

Your only chance is to deal with a trusted seller (maybe some from this forum) who occasionally have some or from private sellers.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Yeah, there is an older thread about those Lebanon ties. Most think they are fake, but apparently they are very good quality. I bought a Brioni off Ebay yesterday, and now I'm thinking that maybe its not real deal. Take a peak at the link below and let me know what you guys think please. I am having second thoughts about the look of the Brioni label. A little different from the one I have. Thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170076798090

spence

Reaction score
Given the range of merchandise he has I'd be surprised if they were all fakes...more likely it's just a used tie in perfect condition he's selling as NWOT?

-spence

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would recommend sticking with www.virtualclotheshorse.com for neckties online-- i browsed a good selection of kiton ties on the site, as well as borrelli and other great makes. given the recent forum discussion on construction of neckties from these makers (and one member's mention that the kiton ties are also crafted in house), that might become my preferred brand.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're dead-set on a Brioni tie, I recommend you give NM Last Call a try. They always seem to have a vigorous selection, usually in the $60-$80 range.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pfr0g
Cant even look for a Brioni tie on ebay with all those damn fakes
musicboohoo[1].gif

In case anyone was born yesturday dont buy any of the Brioni ties from Lebonon and the like.

Yes, I've noticed all the Brioni ties on eBay too, and particularly those from these sellers you mention. But let's take a closer look. Lebanon-based seller "Ecarrefour" has 99.9% positive feedback on 715 transactions, indicating that 1 person out of 715 left a negative. The second Lebanon-based seller "oj_quality" has 100% positive feedback on 90 transactions, and the Jordan-based seller "giftsandco" has 99.6% positive feedback on 241 transactions, indicating that 1 person out of 241 left negative feedback (and that one negative was from a seller, not a buyer). So, among the 3 of them, they have a grand total of 2 negs out of 1046 transactions (at least one of which had nothing to do with authenticity), for a positive-feedback average of 99.8--way above the eBay average.

So can we be sure these middle-east sellers are peddling fakes? I'm well aware that examining negative feedback doesn't tell the whole story, but can 1045 purchasers (if even one claimed inauthenticity) all be fooled by fakes and say nothing about it? So here's a question for forumers: Has anyone actually bought a tie from one of these sellers that he knows for a certain fact is a fake? Could it be, instead, that the ties these middle-east sellers are selling are legitimate Brioni ties, but made to different specifications than those of the Brioni ties we see in North America? I should add the disclaimer, I guess, that I have no relationship of any kind with any of these sellers and have never purchased from them (although I've been tempted). I'm not trying to boost their sales, only attempting to see this phenomenon rationally.

Here are three pretty large-scale US-based eBay sellers of Brioni ties (among many other brands) whose stock, I'm pretty certain, is authentic: (a) "Shyfashion" (99.3 positive feedback on 1392 transactions)--I bought 2 Brioni ties from this seller and, upon inspection, I'm certain they are authentic; (b) "europeansilkcompany" (99.7% positive feedback on 2430 transactions)--I've purchased Charvet and other ties from this seller and all have been, without question, authentic; thus, I'd trust their Brionis too; (c) "fauzia1" (99.6% positive feedback on 3475 transactions)--I purchased a definitely-authentic Hermes tie from him; would therefore trust his Brionis too. Finally, I should note that I've just bought a Brioni tie from eBay seller "quickeauction" (99.6% positive feedback on 5114 transactions). This listing had every earmark of authenticity, but I'll know better, of course, when I receive the tie.

Incidentally, all of the sellers noted above indicate clearly in their listings that their ties are authentic. This is not foolproof, of course, but I have run across some Asian sellers of designer clothes than make no such claim and whose items are clearly fakes.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're in the SoCal area, Gary's Outlet in Tustin usually blows out Brioni ties during their summer and winter clearance sales. They offer them for 70% off, which is $52.50. Not sure about selection, but I usually pick up a few of the nicer ones each year.

raley

Reaction score
To hijack a bit, what are the "known" great brands for ties? You here a lot about construction, but is there a brand that is pretty much decided to be top of the line, kind of like Kiton/Brioni/Attolini/etc. for RTW suits or EG/Lobb for shoes? I.e., if I am trying to start a decent tie collection by picking up a few solids/simple stripes/dotted ties, what brands should I look at?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are my nominations for the "greats": Kiton, Charvet, Borrelli, Attolini, Isaia, Carlo Franco, Sam Hober, Marinella. Here are my choices for "near great": Nicky, Brioni, Stefano Ricci (I know, I know, RJman, you hate them!), Drake, FIHTies, Turnbull & Asser, Holliday & Brown, Breuer.

raley

Reaction score
Thanks, that is helpful - back to the subject at hand
smile.gif

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beware of negative rep given as retaliation on eBay.
It's really a bias towards undeserved good rep given to sellers for just delivering the item.
Didn't you notice that all sellers give rep after the buyer gives his own rep? Shouldn't they give rep upon payment as that's the only buyer task in the transaction?
Apart from this rant,how comes that Brioni or Kiton ties are travelling to Lebanon in huge lots?

An italian might buy them straight from the works, which doesn't necessarily lead to lower prices as an artisan doesn't generally have scale savings, but a lebanese???

jtw3036

Reaction score
So here's a question for forumers: Has anyone actually bought a tie from one of these sellers that he knows for a certain fact is a fake?

From Ben AKA Honest Goods
November 10th, 2006, 09:02

Just so you all know, the ties from the middle east are fake. We have purchased a few to have them inspected and they are fake. The things to notice:

1. The Brioni logo is not accurate. Look at it closely - it is slightly too much like bubble lettering. This is especially evident in the very cheap packaging they send it with (the plastic sleeve and the bright red cardboard outer sleeves).

2. The Brioni chain is placed here and there. Some of them have the chain attached right underneath the self-silk tie holder, others have them attached ON it (which makes no sense). Brioni would never allow that kind of poor quality control.

3. Lastly, from what we've seen, Brioni doesn't use that kind of generic ribbed silk lining.

And needless to say the shirts they sell don't appear to be real either. Though we did not purchase any from the middle eastern sellers, we can plainly see the logo on the back and have never seen authentic Brioni shirts to have any such type of labeling that is sewn/embroidered directly on the shirt.

All this being said, the ties are actually quite nice. But are they real? Absolutely not and it is, of course, annoying to merchants who deal only in authentic clothing.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jtw3036
From Ben AKA Honest Goods
November 10th, 2006, 09:02

Well, that's definitely worth considering. Ben Eng is one of the eBay good guys.

LarsC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pabloj
Didn't you notice that all sellers give rep after the buyer gives his own rep? Shouldn't they give rep upon payment as that's the only buyer task in the transaction?

Proper procedure would be that a buyer gives feedback when he has received the item and knows the condition of the item. He should also try to contact the seller to solve any problems before leaving feedback.

Seller should give feedback after receiving feedback from buyer so that he has the chance to correct any mistakes or take returns.

Originally Posted by pabloj
Apart from this rant,how comes that Brioni or Kiton ties are travelling to Lebanon in huge lots?

An italian might buy them straight from the works, which doesn't necessarily lead to lower prices as an artisan doesn't generally have scale savings, but a lebanese???

Don't know how it is these days, but Lebanon was always the regional black market. Shipping bulk containers by boat from Italy should not be too expensive. Maybe dead stock from factory outlets. Or merchandise from hijacked trucks (a popular italian activity).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads