• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dammit!  please give advice if you can

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you know, I have Borrelli shoes listed.  Well, I freaking wrote down the wrong measurement for the damn outsole.  The size is correct -- US 11 (I've measured it against my Alden 10.5s, which are about 1/4 inch smaller but probably fit the same based on the interior measurement) -- but I freaking typed down 12 1/4" instead of 12 3/4".  Why?  Because I couldn't read my own damn handwriting (I had the measurements scribbled on a piece of paper...  

So, I made an addition noting the gaffe, and contacted the two people who have placed bids thus far.  I'm not sure they even went by the measurement, because the measurement would have indicated a pretty damn small running 11, considering that the outsole is quite prominent on this particular shoe, and the leading bidder has bought several 11.5 Oakley boots on Ebay.  But, I'm REALLY pissed off at myself, cause I listed the shoes at like 11 at night without my glasses on.

What more can I do?  I actually was going to just end the auction immediately and relist them, but I couldn't that as a possibility on my listing screen.  What would you do if you were me at this point.  I want happy customers, obviously.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm sure our eBay sellers will have an opinion, but I don't think that you need to do anything more than you did: you corrected the description, and you contacted the current bidders with the updated information. If the current high bidder ends up winning the auction and wants out of the item because of your mistake, you should let him bail; but I don't think that any more contrition is necessary.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't worry about it. you put the right size down, people are probably going by that.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, jcusey, that does make me feel better (I otherwise would have been sleeping if not for this thing). I mean, obviously what I didn't want to have happen is to not correct it and leave the winner in a position to claim that he was sent misdescribed shoes. At this point, my sense is that the people who have bid thus far will contact me either way, because I let them know in the emails to them that they I would let them retract their bids, and just to let me know if they wanted to do so. A bunch of people are watching the auction, as well, so I also hope I didn't screw them up.

This is a headache I didn't need though, because I had already put a nice profit in my pocket and this sort of will make me go to bed a bit uncertain. The worst that could happen, I suppose, is that I have to relist the item. If I had to do that, I might wait a few weeks though, since I'm leaving town for a while.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't worry about it.  you put the right size down, people are probably going by that.
Thanks, as well. That is what I'm sort of thinking too. The lead bidder isn't a forumite, I don't think. And he's purchased 11.5s in previous Ebay auctions. So my sense is that he's going based on size. I just am a bit peeved at my own carelessness though.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's not a problem, as long as you updated it. The sole length isn't of much use on shoes with an extended welt anyhow.

Duveen

Reaction score
johnnynorman,

You should also realize that misdescribed shoes are sold all the time. I am still arguing with a seller who listed a shoe only as US13.  It was european 46 (US12), and far too tight.  He is still giving me grief about taking it back and referring to the pulldown menu on Bluefly as a source even though the official Bluefly sizing page clearly bears me out. What are one's real options for recourse against a seller who misdescribed shoes? I only wish people were as conscientious as you appear to be - I would be happy to just have the fellow take the shoes back and refund me the return postage, but that appears unlikely at this point. 

Ebay sellers - any advice on reporting this?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am happy to report that all has been rectified with my auction. The buyer actually said he hadn't even paid attention to outsole length and that he actually just wanted my advice on whether the shoe would fit him if he normally wears an 11.5 in Oakley. Based on my experience, I told him that they should fit him perfectly. He thanked me for my diligence and our communication was swift (it took about 9 hours from first email by me to my reply email to him). So, all is well.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
johnnynorman,

You should also realize that misdescribed shoes are sold all the time. I am still arguing with a seller who listed a shoe only as US13.  It was european 46 (US12), and far too tight.  He is still giving me grief about taking it back and referring to the pulldown menu on Bluefly as a source even though the official Bluefly sizing page clearly bears me out.  What are one's real options for recourse against a seller who misdescribed shoes?  I only wish people were as conscientious as you appear to be - I would be happy to just have the fellow take the shoes back and refund me the return postage, but that appears unlikely at this point. 

Ebay sellers - any advice on reporting this?
Personally, the best option is to call Paypal and then your credit card. This is why I always use American Express for my Ebay transactions. The stupid thing with Paypal is that they will only refund you if the seller sent you NOTHING. That's right, nothing. I had this problem before when I purchased a golf club off of someone and he sent me the WRONG club. I called Paypal, and they said that because they sent me A club, I had no recourse, except through my credit card. My response to this? "What if he sent me a paper clip." Their reply (and I'm serious that this is what they said): "We would consider you as having received the item from the seller. We cannot offer you a refund if the seller simply sent you the wrong product."

American Express was much more helpful, but I ended up working it out with the seller after 2 months of haggling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics