• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dale Carnegie Course - Any Opinions?

v0rtex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Meh, no firsthand experience with that one specifically but generally I agree with fuuma... all the self-help stuff (an oxymoron) is really for people who can't help themselves and tend to float around. If the stuff REALLY worked everyone would be buying. It's usually a lot of feel good "you're a good person" and "try harder", etc crap with TONNES of filler. There's one or two basic simple points and a bunch of time filling.

Like any genre - especially those dealing with issues so qualitative - there are plenty of shysters out there spouting ego-masturbating crap to make a buck. However, some self-help stuff is worthwhile - some people need a "manual for life" and they'd do a lot worse than Carnegie.

I'm a fairly typical introverted computer nerd and had few role models growing up to learn "normal" social communication from. Reading a few books on how to make small-talk with people (rec: Leil Lowndes) and how relationships are supposed to function helped me a great deal.

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Originally Posted by millionaire75
I'm currently reading "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" by Dale Carnegie. I'm a still a little uncertain as to what I think about it. Not sure what a $2k course can provide, however. Have you read any of his books?

So does that mean its not working?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^ LOL, well played.

In response to V0rtex and Checks... I suppose that yes, if you're someone who basically just doesn't "get it" and have had trouble being "successful" in life then sure, some help is needed, but I think that thinking one course will change your life and suddenly everything will work is not realistic. I definately KNOW that there is some value in many of the courses around, as well as many courses that are junk. IMO it's more about the committment to yourself (time, effort, $, etc) and the decision that you're actually taking your life into your hands and want to make it better that starts the ball rolling. The content itself, sure, some of it's good. Carnegie, like any of these guys (eg Tony Robbins) who've been around for THIS long clearly do provide some sort of value.

Anyway, so what I'm saying is, I think it's a good start, is his course and is any course woth $2K, that I don't know. I'd start by getting a few of the usual self-help books and reading...
I've dabbled even a bit in the Pick Up Artist stuff which actually really is about self-help. It's applied to dating/sex but it's all the same principles and can be used in all facets of one's life. As with all of these things, the world is full of diverse people and so there's always some good and some bad. i'd read a book or two first (as suggested above) and if you like Carnegie's overall style and main messages, then sure, maybe go see him in person if you think it's worth it. It's like listening to a CD before going to a concert.

TGPlastic

Reaction score
The Carnegie technique --at least as it is outlined in "How to Win Friends..."-- strikes me as terribly blunt and unnatural. I think I would know instantly if someone was using that stuff on me. What's more, the book was really hard for me to read because the anecdotes were so corny and self-congratulatory. I got the impression that I would have thought DC was a complete tool.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TGPlastic
The Carnegie technique --at least as it is outlined in "How to Win Friends..."-- strikes me as terribly blunt and unnatural. I think I would know instantly if someone was using that stuff on me. What's more, the book was really hard for me to read because the anecdotes were so corny and self-congratulatory. I got the impression that I would have thought DC was a complete tool.

For those with **** for social skills already, yes, it is very obvious. A guy I used to work with was recommended the book... then a week later he was asking people about their life goals, complementing their work habits and congratulating **** that didn't deserve any praise at all. It was embarrassing cause everyone noticed.

But if someone has already got a decent understanding of how to not be a douche bag then I think it can be pretty decent. Everything in the book is, IMO, obvious and easily connected to human nature. But at the same time, its not something we think of constantly. I've read the "how to win friends..." book a few times and every time I reread it I find something new that makes me feel stupid...

Bottom line, book for 6 bucks = decent value. Course for 2k = laughable.

Trust me, I listened to you... I also didn't necessarily say you were 'wrong'. My eye contact could have been better.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be very wary of paying much money for most of this stuff, as a lot of the information is very basic and ultimately pretty obvious. I suppose that it may be worth paying for some courses just to see how the info is presented as different courses obviously put information together in different ways.

However, do your research beforehand and be very wary of becoming involved with any "training" organisation that wants you to not only pay large sums of money but to also recruit others to the cause. Landmark Education and Scientology are, of course, different but both try to get you to persuade others to join and to part with their hard-earned cash.

I have no direct experience with Scientology but I know two people who are heavily involved with Landmark Education. They both call me once a month or so to try to persuade me to come along to seminars with them. To be quite frank, rather than improving their lives, both of their situations have worsened over the past couple of years so I have little faith in the practical advantages of whatever it is that Landmark purports to teach.

Godot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
^^ LOL, well played.

As with all of these things, the world is full of diverse people and so there's always some good and some bad. i'd read a book or two first (as suggested above) and if you like Carnegie's overall style and main messages, then sure, maybe go see him in person if you think it's worth it. It's like listening to a CD before going to a concert.

Given that he's been dead since 1955, seeing him in person seems to present kind of a problem.
lol8[1].gif

flashback

Reaction score
I think you can get a better experience by reading some books on the subject and then applying the information every day, I basically did that and I have been having a lot of success ever since. Didn't need to spend money on the actual course.

I also like someone's idea of joining your local Toastmasters, that would be a really valuable experience. Look them up if you don't know about them.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
Hi judgesmails (shakes hand). It's nice to see you here, judgesmails. Say, are there any concerns you'd like to share, because I'm listening. I'm listening to you judgesmails, because I care about you. You know what, judgesmails, I value your opinion, and I feel a bond developing between us, judgesmails, that will allow me to sell you something you don't want for more than you'd prefer to pay for it. I agree! It was great listening to you judgesmails. Let's talk again Tuesday at 2:00 p.m. or a time that is convenient for you.

QFT

Teaches you how to manipulate people effectively

Dale Graduate

Reaction score
Hi Judgesmails,

I'm a Dale graduate. My wife paid the $1995.00 and gave me the course as a gift. I was reluctant at first, but it was from my wife and she did pay the money. So, I took it. The first time I was not even closely prepared to take it. So I dropped out. Took a month or two processing what I had already heard, called them and signed up for another class and started over.

That's one good thing, once you sign up, you can take it as many times as needed. I was successful with the 12 week class, there is also an 8 week, a 3 day. I could not keep up on the 8 week, much less a 3 day.

It changed my life tremendously. I'm almost 50. My wife and I have both had the Dale Course, HIP Course, she has had the Advanced Dale Course.

Imagine reading "How to Win Friends and Influence People" and as you read it, you have a coach in front of you showing how each thing is suppose to look. Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

Their are two other books that are used as curriculum. This course is College accredited, if the company you work for has a tuition reimbursement policy, it qualifies - University of Central Missouri.

If you decide to take it, be prepared to take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror. You will be looking at your core being and transforming from the inside out.

Dale Carnegie believed we are all born leaders, but it is how we develop as leaders as to how good of a leader we will be. The foundational Dale Course teaches us how to lead ourselves, because to be a good leader, we must first learn how to lead ourselves.

The Advanced Dale teaches us how to then transfer that and lead others.

I have heard of several people that took the Dale course and afterwards, got promoted, another person I know took the Advanced and was promoted to GM of the entire facility where they worked, and the credit was given to them taking the course.

My wife has been promoted and is now over several states, she credits it to the Dale Carnegie courses.

Look for a free DCC Session. Dale Carnegie is one of the only training companies that provide a free session to demonstrate their teaching methology.

After years of back breaking construction, I took this course, got the highest award of achievement and then a year later went to work for them. That's how drastic it changed me.

I see all the leads that come in and 1/4 of the leads come from other training companies borrowing material from Dale Carnegie, 101 years old this year.

I wish you the best in making the decision you feel is right for you, hope this all helps.

Dale Grad.

Dale Graduate

Reaction score
That's because he didn't understand the book.

By the taking the course, a coach demonstrates and instructs on how that should look.

So it should have been "sincere" appreciation. It doesn't sound like it was, and most can tell when it's not.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

Hi Judgesmails,

I wish you the best in going back in time and making the decision you feel is right for you,

Dale Grad.

Hi Dale Grad,
FTFY, because I admire your sincerity would really like to see you succeed with this post.
Lawyerdad

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads