• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dale Carnegie Course - Any Opinions?

judgesmails

Reaction score
Hi,

I am considering signing up for the Dale Carnegie course, Effective Communications & Human Relations and was curious if anyone has taken the course or has any opinions to share. The course runs $2,000, and I am trying to determine whether it will be beneficial or a waste of time and money. I have not found many reviews just searching on the internet. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

millionaire75

Reaction score
I'm currently reading "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" by Dale Carnegie. I'm a still a little uncertain as to what I think about it. Not sure what a $2k course can provide, however. Have you read any of his books?

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi judgesmails (shakes hand). It's nice to see you here, judgesmails. Say, are there any concerns you'd like to share, because I'm listening. I'm listening to you judgesmails, because I care about you. You know what, judgesmails, I value your opinion, and I feel a bond developing between us, judgesmails, that will allow me to sell you something you don't want for more than you'd prefer to pay for it. I agree! It was great listening to you judgesmails. Let's talk again Tuesday at 2:00 p.m. or a time that is convenient for you.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by judgesmails
Hi,

I am considering signing up for the Dale Carnegie course, Effective Communications & Human Relations and was curious if anyone has taken the course or has any opinions to share. The course runs $2,000, and I am trying to determine whether it will be beneficial or a waste of time and money. I have not found many reviews just searching on the internet. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Self-help is by people beyond helping for people beyond naive.

R-H

Reaction score
Join your local Toastmasters group instead. Save yourself $1,900.

v0rtex

Reaction score
Have you read "How to Win Friends and Influence People"? It'll give you an idea if you like the tone of Carnegie's advice.

I'm a fan of the book, and have vaugely considered the course. If you're already a highly socialized person you'll probably find most of the content a bit obvious, but I found it very valuable advice (even if it does basically boil down to being nice to people, giving them credit and listening to them).

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by v0rtex
Have you read "How to Win Friends and Influence People"? It'll give you an idea if you like the tone of Carnegie's advice.

I'm a fan of the book, and have vaugely considered the course. If you're already a highly socialized person you'll probably find most of the content a bit obvious, but I found it very valuable advice (even if it does basically boil down to being nice to people, giving them credit and listening to them).

Vortex, I think that's a very good observation.

Godot

Reaction score
I doubt that it will hurt you, but at the same time I question if it's worth $2000. There are a lot of seminars out there that you might want to explore. Landmark Education offers one that I liked for around $500. The Scientologists (believe it or not) offer a great communications workshop for like $50. I'm not sure I'd recommend any of the other programs, but the CWS is pretty good.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
Vortex, I think that's a very good observation.

smile.gif

judgesmails

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I have read parts of "How to Win Friends and Influence People" but not the whole thing. Perhaps that is where I should start at this point and then make a decision regarding enrolling in the either the Dale Carnegie course or one of the other courses that people have recommended.

sunror

Reaction score
purchase a small figurine, perhaps one of those small pink m.u.s.c.l.e. men, and bestow your idolatry upon it.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sunror
purchase a small figurine, perhaps one of those small pink m.u.s.c.l.e. men, and bestow your idolatry upon it.

Funniest thing I've read in a month, other than the health care bill.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read the book recently, for a rube like me, it was a real eye opener. I'd take the course if my work would pay for it. My dad took it when he was starting out in his career and he's one of the best communicators I know.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Meh, no firsthand experience with that one specifically but generally I agree with fuuma... all the self-help stuff (an oxymoron) is really for people who can't help themselves and tend to float around. If the stuff REALLY worked everyone would be buying. It's usually a lot of feel good "you're a good person" and "try harder", etc crap with TONNES of filler. There's one or two basic simple points and a bunch of time filling.

PS - I did a landmark seminar... and was very disturbed by it all. I can't say what will work for you and I am a bit of a cinic but simply googling this company will tell you what you need to know about how they work and some of the effects they might have on your life. Almost a year later I'm still emotionally upset when so much as their name comes up.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Meh, no firsthand experience with that one specifically but generally I agree with fuuma... all the self-help stuff (an oxymoron) is really for people who can't help themselves and tend to float around. If the stuff REALLY worked everyone would be buying. It's usually a lot of feel good "you're a good person" and "try harder", etc crap with TONNES of filler. There's one or two basic simple points and a bunch of time filling.

PS - I did a landmark seminar... and was very disturbed by it all. I can't say what will work for you and I am a bit of a cinic but simply googling this company will tell you what you need to know about how they work and some of the effects they might have on your life. Almost a year later I'm still emotionally upset when so much as their name comes up.

Joking aside, if you need the help, it's a way to get some help. Better than figuring out you're Willie Loman when you're 62

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics