Daks.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Jun 25, 2003.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Dear all,

What is everybody's opinion on the British brand Daks? I remeber it is designed by Timothy Everest, and also has their own signature check pattern.

Overall what is the quality, style, and such? Thank you.

2. des Esseintes

des Esseintes Member

monsieur le comte deMontesquiou: i think the brand you mention is of good overall quality but im afraid to say that it is also slightly over-priced. before buying daks SUITS id rather go to saville row- the difference is neglectible...(other accesories can be obtained as a fancy though)- the pattern is recognisable which is not good and the style of the cut is classic but too voluminous...

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Monsieur des Esseintes,

I see you like fin de siecle and "A Rebours" as well. As yo mentioned for Daks yes the instant, in a sense, renown of the check can be somewhat annoying. Do not take my username in the wrong heed; I simply like clothing with labels as opposed to attire incognito a la dept. store brands.

Saville Row I like, and especially Huntsman.

4. thc

thc Senior member

I bought a shirt at Daks in Hamburg. I really like my shirt. As far as the reputation of the brand. It's similar to Aquascutum and has carries respectable historical prestige. It's an upscale brand, but I wouldn't be it in the same class as Burberry or Holland & Holland.

5. des Esseintes

des Esseintes Member

no worries, i also buy brand name clothes- but still- one can have his ideals(agreed- huntsmans spiffy sporty-tight look is good)-ideals for which one strives(and regularly neglects and alters  [​IMG] -by jove, the emoticons are ugly here..) yrs ago i bought a cashmere scarf by daks-it was good but after some time i couldnt wear it any more,too many ppl already had the same one, they change the design frequently but after some months its semper idem-though i must say it "outlasted" the notorious burberry one in "wearability" for ages... also have a brownish wax jacket by daks-its durable enough and a nice change from the barbour ones- only lets down a bit in usefulness w the metal rings of the zippers a tick too small for gloved hands but i like the (over)large collar... as a whole id say that daks is not chic but more elegant than aquascutum(which i only know for their (sport)jackets)or h&h(good for handmade shotguns+great safari clothes and anachronistic gadgets.)-burberry can be more formal(but is not so costly)-

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Yes, Holland & Hollanf is very good for their shotguns, and I have seen their safari attire before. Tell me, havce you seen the clothing of Purdey, and Beretta? Yes they are not the most chic or elegant per se but still they are high quality.

For something most unique I would love to adopt the sartorial idiosyncrasies of Monsieur des Essientes as in the Parma violets, gold brocade waistcoats, et al.

7. des Esseintes

des Esseintes Member

nope havent seen either- im not a good shot and no gun buff myself but "was told" that purdey, the old london adversary of h&h to be"much better than h&h"for the two barreled ones-i have no idea- guess its (as evrything fundamental)- just a question of taste [​IMG]

8. thc

thc Senior member

I forget, but from what I have heard neither H&H nor Purdey are better than the other. Each is known for being the best in a certain type of gun. i can't remember the distinction though.

9. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior member

Before starting a new thread, I 'll take this one out of it's tomb.

I just got a lovely DB seersucker jacket from DAS London, which seems to be quite nice. Strangely enough for a very British company (or not so strange, as T&A does the same...), the jacket is manufactured in Italy.

Does anyone know the maker?

Here is the inside tag:

[​IMG]

Thanks!

10. merkur

merkur Senior member

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  11. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior member

Anyone?

I got it on Ebay because I liked the style and the price was nice, if you don't expect anything great. But surprisingly enough, it seems to be fully canvassed and has handwork on the collar and the button holes. [​IMG]

Nobody can identify the maker?

12. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Is Daks still around in the UK?

It's being used as a brand in India.

13. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior member

Is Daks still around in the UK?

It's being used as a brand in India.

Regarding to their homepage they still have a flagship store in Bond street and a shop in Jermyn street.

They apparently reopened their flagship in 2007 and now seem to aim at the British luxury market.

I don't know nothing about an India-connection. But obviously some of their stuff is made in Italy now to a high standard. (At least this is my quite unexperienced impression)

14. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

They still have a Jermyn street store. When I walk in there, I frankly get confused. Some of the stuff seems really high-end, other seems like british hugo boss.

15. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Everything, including their logo, seems like an upscale version of the GAP.

Like the GAP meets Burberry?