• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dainite vs. Commando? ...

cmeisenzahl

Reaction score
When Dianite and Commando soles are mentioned, does this refer to the tread pattern only, or the material as well? Thanks in advance!

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cmeisenzahl
When Dianite and Commando soles are mentioned, does this refer to the tread pattern only, or the material as well? Thanks in advance!

Dainite is a trademarked material with a distinctve tread pattern. Commando is a generic term for the tread pattern AFAIK.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dainite is a rubber-like composite material that forms the sole of a shoe/boot. Commando sole refers to a rubber-like treaded piece that is usually sewn onto a traditional leather sole. I only have 1 pair of commando soled boots (Alden), but the leather sole is clearly visible.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Dainite is a trademarked material with a distinctve tread pattern. Commando is a generic term for the tread pattern AFAIK.

This sounds right. Dainite is the whole shabang; commando is just the very common lug pattern, regardless of material.

For city walking I usually prefer Dainite. Commando picks up a lot of little rocks all the time, moreso if you have deeper tread depth.

Doc4

Reaction score
Dainite is a company. http://www.dainite.com/flash.html

They make several patterns of shoe soles.

"Commando" is a generic term for a sole pattern, often also called "lug sole". The actual material of the sole can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, and from model to model.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think a Commando sole has shallower lugs than a lot of lugged soles. I am not sure whether Commando is a generic term or not. Some of these manufacturers of soles sell the same branded sole to different shoe manufacturers.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The Commando sole is the one you want to wear when drug dealers have kidnapped your daughter and taken her to a remote island, and you want to single-handedly blow them all to kingdom come in a one-man rescue mission.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
Commando sole refers to a rubber-like treaded piece that is usually sewn onto a traditional leather sole. I only have 1 pair of commando soled boots (Alden), but the leather sole is clearly visible.

Originally Posted by Tarmac
This sounds right. Dainite is the whole shabang; commando is just the very common lug pattern, regardless of material.

Originally Posted by JLibourel
Yeah, I think a Commando sole has shallower lugs than a lot of lugged soles. I am not sure whether Commando is a generic term or not.

"˜Commando sole' might refer to the tread pattern.

The Alden commando sole is a thin cover to go over a double leather sole. The English version comes from "˜Itshide' (ITS rubber company), is very thick
and gets stitched on in the same way as a Dainite sole.

http://www.keikari.com/blogi/commando-sole/

Dainite is a relatively soft rubber, the Itshide is much harder and less flexible. A number of UK companies use Commando for their really heavy field boots.

Vibram has soles with similar tread patterns in their catalogue, although their soles usually have the pattern running right to the sole edge and get glued not stitched.

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
"˜Commando sole' might refer to the tread pattern.

The English version comes from "˜Itshide' (ITS rubber company), is very thick
and gets stitched on in the same way as a Dainite sole.

http://www.keikari.com/blogi/commando-sole/ HUH?

Dainite is a relatively soft rubber, the Itshide is much harder and less flexible. A number of UK companies use Commando for their really heavy field boots.

Most upscale UK booters who now regularly attach Danite previously used ITS's ITSHIDE (the sole originated in the U.S and a UK firm was licensed to manufacture) Commando on the same boots. The last I looked Lobb, Sinjims illustrated it on their website, but most online illustrations of UK field boots now feature Danite. I cyber-investigated the availability of replacement Itshides a couple of years ago with no success. ITS Rubber also marketed an Itshide commando sole in the form of the sole ridges spelling I-T-S-H-I-D-E, similar to the golf sole in the second photo. The company licensed to manufacture the soles was situated somewhere in Northhants a decade ago. Are you sure it still exists and still markets the Itshide soles?

commando2.jpg
golfar_soles1.jpg

( www.cobblers-arms.com )

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I prefer Dainite. Here's why:

1. They offer great traction.
2. They are made of superior rubber. I have seen variations of the commando sole. They are not all equal in quality.
3. They last longer than any commando sole I have seen.
4. They are made by Dainite. Any soles with a similar pattern that are not stamped "Dainite" could be imitations.
5. They have been "time tested" for over 100 years.
6. IMO they are dresser looking.
7. As stated in an earlier post, they are designed so that pebbles and dirt will not get stuck in the cleats.
8. Their parent company is the "Harboro Rubber Company". If you want to get an idea of the scope of what Harboro is capable of, check this out:

http://www.harboro.co.uk/index.php

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads