Dainite vs. Commando? ...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cmeisenzahl, Oct 12, 2009.

1. cmeisenzahl

cmeisenzahl Senior member

When Dianite and Commando soles are mentioned, does this refer to the tread pattern only, or the material as well? Thanks in advance!

2. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

When Dianite and Commando soles are mentioned, does this refer to the tread pattern only, or the material as well? Thanks in advance!

Dainite is a trademarked material with a distinctve tread pattern. Commando is a generic term for the tread pattern AFAIK.

3. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

4. cmeisenzahl

Always go commando...

hehe. ;-)

5. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

Dainite is a rubber-like composite material that forms the sole of a shoe/boot. Commando sole refers to a rubber-like treaded piece that is usually sewn onto a traditional leather sole. I only have 1 pair of commando soled boots (Alden), but the leather sole is clearly visible.

6. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

Dainite is a trademarked material with a distinctve tread pattern. Commando is a generic term for the tread pattern AFAIK.

This sounds right. Dainite is the whole shabang; commando is just the very common lug pattern, regardless of material.

For city walking I usually prefer Dainite. Commando picks up a lot of little rocks all the time, moreso if you have deeper tread depth.

7. Doc4

Doc4 Senior member

Dainite is a company. http://www.dainite.com/flash.html

They make several patterns of shoe soles.

"Commando" is a generic term for a sole pattern, often also called "lug sole". The actual material of the sole can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, and from model to model.

8. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Yeah, I think a Commando sole has shallower lugs than a lot of lugged soles. I am not sure whether Commando is a generic term or not. Some of these manufacturers of soles sell the same branded sole to different shoe manufacturers.

9. cmeisenzahl

Great info, thanks, guys!

10. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

The Commando sole is the one you want to wear when drug dealers have kidnapped your daughter and taken her to a remote island, and you want to single-handedly blow them all to kingdom come in a one-man rescue mission.

11. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

i love the lugged rubber soles on certain shoes like bit loafers and a few boots.

the brown leather gucci bit loafer in lugged rubber sole is my dream bit loafer.

12. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Commando sole refers to a rubber-like treaded piece that is usually sewn onto a traditional leather sole. I only have 1 pair of commando soled boots (Alden), but the leather sole is clearly visible.

This sounds right. Dainite is the whole shabang; commando is just the very common lug pattern, regardless of material.

Yeah, I think a Commando sole has shallower lugs than a lot of lugged soles. I am not sure whether Commando is a generic term or not.

"˜Commando sole' might refer to the tread pattern.

The Alden commando sole is a thin cover to go over a double leather sole. The English version comes from "˜Itshide' (ITS rubber company), is very thick
    and gets stitched on in the same way as a Dainite sole.

http://www.keikari.com/blogi/commando-sole/

Dainite is a relatively soft rubber, the Itshide is much harder and less flexible. A number of UK companies use Commando for their really heavy field boots.

Vibram has soles with similar tread patterns in their catalogue, although their soles usually have the pattern running right to the sole edge and get glued not stitched.

13. I. Gentantithesis

I. Gentantithesis Senior member

ethernet thingy whatzit, Colney Hatch Spa
    "˜Commando sole' might refer to the tread pattern.

The English version comes from "˜Itshide' (ITS rubber company), is very thick
    and gets stitched on in the same way as a Dainite sole.

http://www.keikari.com/blogi/commando-sole/ HUH?

Dainite is a relatively soft rubber, the Itshide is much harder and less flexible. A number of UK companies use Commando for their really heavy field boots.

Most upscale UK booters who now regularly attach Danite previously used ITS's ITSHIDE (the sole originated in the U.S and a UK firm was licensed to manufacture) Commando on the same boots. The last I looked Lobb, Sinjims illustrated it on their website, but most online illustrations of UK field boots now feature Danite. I cyber-investigated the availability of replacement Itshides a couple of years ago with no success. ITS Rubber also marketed an Itshide commando sole in the form of the sole ridges spelling I-T-S-H-I-D-E, similar to the golf sole in the second photo. The company licensed to manufacture the soles was situated somewhere in Northhants a decade ago. Are you sure it still exists and still markets the Itshide soles?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    ( www.cobblers-arms.com )

14. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Dainite is a top quality tread, excellent for country and wet weather.

15. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I prefer Dainite. Here's why:

1. They offer great traction.
    2. They are made of superior rubber. I have seen variations of the commando sole. They are not all equal in quality.
    3. They last longer than any commando sole I have seen.
    4. They are made by Dainite. Any soles with a similar pattern that are not stamped "Dainite" could be imitations.
    5. They have been "time tested" for over 100 years.
    6. IMO they are dresser looking.
    7. As stated in an earlier post, they are designed so that pebbles and dirt will not get stuck in the cleats.
    8. Their parent company is the "Harboro Rubber Company". If you want to get an idea of the scope of what Harboro is capable of, check this out:

http://www.harboro.co.uk/index.php