• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dainite soles

tom delgado

Reaction score
On my 2 months old trickers stows dainite soles the stichings show some wear..they seem "flattered" and thinner, is it normal? They look a little fragile to me as this soles should be long lasting..on country boots!

Any experiences?

Thanks.

Isbister

Reaction score
I presume you mean under the sole, rather than in the welt? It's unavoidable that the thread under the sole will begin to wear. However, even when it eventually wears right through, the stitching still seems to hold the sole in place as two threads are used, one from above and one from below, and knotted within the sole. Sometimes Dainite soles are attached with a channelled stitch, but usually the thread is on top of the sole. Dainite soles are very long-lasting - I have some over 10 years old still in good order.

kankles

Reaction score
How often are you wearing and what sort of mileage do they see?

Isbister

Reaction score
How often are you wearing and what sort of mileage do they see?
My oldest pair I still wear at least once every week, sometimes twice. Mileage varies but if I'm planning say a weekend visit to London, expecting to visit shops, perhaps a gallery and taking in a restaurant - walking 3 or 4 miles perhaps, sometimes in the rain - they are my go-to pair. Off the top of my head I must have about 8 or 9 pairs of Dainite shoes, none of which has ever needed resoling, although some have been reheeled.

tom delgado

Reaction score

Isbister

Reaction score
That seems excessive wear for just two months, although the red Dainite soles are a little softer than black and sepia soles. Have you worn them across excessively harsh or abrasive surfaces, eg. granite boulders? If not, I would return them to Tricker's - possibly they sewed the soles with insufficient tension.

Here are my 10 year-old Dainite-soled Loakes:

And here are some two-year old Sargents:

Although the studs are worn down across the middle of the Sargents, the thread is still intact. On the Loakes, it wore through years ago, although the soles are still quite secure.

tom delgado

Reaction score
I think i'll try to use them a little more and than if the soles come away i'll replace them with JR leather soles..

tom delgado

Reaction score
Have you ever had some experiences or heard about fake trickers boots?

Isbister

Reaction score
Have you ever had some experiences or heard about fake trickers boots?
No. I would think they would be difficult to fake convincingly (unless you've never seen real Tricker's). Is there anything (other than the sole stitching issue) that might lead you to suspect they are fakes?

One or two Northampton firms make shoes that are quite similar to Tricker's in some ways, but they're not that close.

OlafG

Reaction score
It could just be a production error as well.

And that's the first time I've heard someone wanting to go from Dainite to leather. I agree, leather looks nicer on most shoes, but the durability and versatility of Dainite can't be beaten imo. I'll probably get Dainites on all my shoes, except for the most formal ones when they need a resole.

tom delgado

Reaction score
Later I'll post some pics of my stows..in fact this is the first pair for me.
My desire to change from dainite to leather is given only by aestetical reasons, i think leather looks more elegant (for the Office for example) even if tricker aren't Made for this purpose but as country shoes.. I have no experience with dainite, in Italy it is difficult to see those soles (and eventually to resole), no italian Shoe maker use them, here the preference goes to vibram with pattern similar to commando and i don't like them.

Isbister

Reaction score
For what it's worth, they look genuine to me, the toe shape is very characteristic. Perhaps they were seconds? Did you buy them on e-bay?

tom delgado

Reaction score
Yes on ebay.de. Isn't is marked any way on boots or box if they were seconds? Leather is perfect, free from scuff, holes, unlined stitchings o brogue punching. Do you think that it was a bad deal for 200 euros?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads