1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Dainite soles' traction in winter

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SuitMyself, Dec 14, 2010.

1. well-kept

well-kept Senior member

The reason Dainite soles do not provide good traction on ice and hard snow is that the "studs" on the bottom of the soles are the only things coming into contact with the ice and show. That's very little surface area of the actual sole coming into contact with the ice and snow.

Think about it for a moment.

Look at the bottom of a pair of Dainites.

See the studs protruding from the sole?

That's all that comes into contact with the ice and snow.

And that's really not a whole lot.

Funny, when I walk on snow with Dainite soles, which I do all the time, the little studs, and quite often everything from there all the way up to my knees, comes in contact with the snow. Ice, granted, is a different matter. Snow is three dimensional.

2. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

The reason Dainite soles do not provide good traction on ice and hard snow is that the "studs" on the bottom of the soles are the only things coming into contact with the ice and show. That's very little surface area of the actual sole coming into contact with the ice and snow.

Think about it for a moment.

Look at the bottom of a pair of Dainites.

See the studs protruding from the sole?

That's all that comes into contact with the ice and snow.

And that's really not a whole lot.

I am sorry but this theory is wrong. If it were true, then crampons should never have been invented in the first place.

3. ktrp

ktrp Senior member

I am sorry but this theory is wrong. If it were true, then crampons should never have been invented in the first place.

Precisely.

Also, if the theory were true, leather would have awesome traction, because the entire sole would be in contact with snow/ice!

4. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

the only plus side of the snowy winter so far is that I've had plenty of time to test out dainite on snow/ice/frozen w/e. I am pleased and am glad I went with it.

for the horrendous days I just wear my Bean Boots. anytime else I wear my Dainite soled boots, they do fine. and they are indeed an upgrade over a vibram/topy layer over standard leather soles.

I think Dainite strikes a real good balance between function and form, whereas for me I think Commando or lug soles look to rugged to pass on "dress" shoes/boots

5. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Has anyone tried these on their soles? I asked for snow traction and this is what they gave me. I am skeptical.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  6. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

Have you tried them out? I have been wearing my Vass double soles with their version of a Topy in Saskatoon where snow clearing sucks. On soft and hard packed snow they work quite well. Nothing works on ice. I think it has to do with the softness of the rubber. I have also been wearing a pair of boots with Carmina's version of Dainite and they also work better than I expected.

7. Cant kill da Rooster

Not yet. Still waiting for it to snow.

8. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Winter tip for walking on icy sidewalks: Walk on the edges or sides of the sidewalk where you can find rough spots or snowy spots. This will give your soles something to bite into as you walk. Just be careful you don't twist your ankles doing it and be aware of ice under the snowy patches.
    :teach:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  9. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

Well, as I said I was impressed with the traction of the Vass Topy so hopefully you'll be OK. I'm pissed though that you don't have any snow!

10. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

Good tip. Always look for those snowy bits and never cut on your inside foot.

11. Schweino

Schweino Senior member

Last year I asked my cobbler for snow and ice proof soles and he installed Vibram Raptor soles on my leather soled boots. I have to say, they offer the best traction I've ever experienced without the shoe soles looking bulky. I also own Dainite studded and commando soled boots but these Vibram ones are better in my opinion in ice and snow.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  12. Cant kill da Rooster

These treads work suprising well in snow. I am quite pleased with them. Recommend. I am sure commando soles are great too but these are much more demure and cost $30.

13. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

.[/quote]These treads work surprisingly well in snow. I am quite pleased with them. Recommend. I am sure commando soles are great too but these are much more demure and cost $30.[/quote]

Perfect!

14. tattoodobem

tattoodobem Well-Known Member

Where i live we have cobblestone. A lot. It can be really slippery for dainite when wet. Specially because the pavement can be very irregular, not straight and the stones sometimes are very round. With dainite and even leather soles you practically skate all the time.