• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

daily working out & weight loss

likeitaloud

Reaction score
So I live a sort of regular urban lifestyle most of which is consumed by work/social gatherings I probably only get few hours a week of real exercise (maybe 5-6 if not less) and lots of walking around... Now I've started to work out every morning 6:20-7:20 mostly cardio some weightlifting. What I'm basically wondering is, will it have an effect on physical shape? Calorie wise you burn what like 500 an hour? At least thats with my workouts. So it's not huge. To gradually get in better shape do I need more exercise? I'm also changing my diet but will these 1h daily work outs help?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. If you're running a 500cal deficit every day you should drop about 1lb/wk.

Eagle

Reaction score
It all depends...how many calories a day do you consume? Has your weight been increasing, holding or declining consuming that many calories? Yes, working out daily and burning an additional 500 calories a day is going to help but, it still depends on how many calories you burn vs how many you consume in a day. Assuming weight loss /management is the ultimate goal, you would do well by front loading your workouts with resistance exercises (weight training!). Each pound of additional muscle you add to your frame, burns 12 to 15 times as many calories in a day, as would a comparable pound of fat. What is your present % of body fat? Good luck and keep up those workouts!

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eagle
Each pound of additional muscle you add to your frame, burns 12 to 15 times as many calories in a day, as would a comparable pound of fat.

Where do people get this stuff?

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why

I dont know! Probably from the internet through fountains of misinformation like you.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
So I live a sort of regular urban lifestyle most of which is consumed by work/social gatherings I probably only get few hours a week of real exercise (maybe 5-6 if not less) and lots of walking around... Now I've started to work out every morning 6:20-7:20 mostly cardio some weightlifting. What I'm basically wondering is, will it have an effect on physical shape? Calorie wise you burn what like 500 an hour? At least thats with my workouts. So it's not huge. To gradually get in better shape do I need more exercise? I'm also changing my diet but will these 1h daily work outs help?

Well, it depends on your goal.

Working out in the morning like that can help you lose tons of weight together with a wise diet over time. The calories burnt depend on your heart rate which depends on your exercise. As for better shape, it depends on what you want to look like.

Eagle

Reaction score
It all depends...how many calories a day do you consume? Has your weight been increasing, holding or declining consuming that many calories? Yes, working out daily and burning an additional 500 calories a day is going to help but, it still depends on how many calories you burn vs how many you consume in a day. Assuming weight loss /management is the ultimate goal, you would do well by front loading your workouts with resistance exercises (weight training!). Each pound of additional muscle you add to your frame, burns 12 to 15 times as many calories in a day, as would a comparable pound of fat. What is your present % of body fat? Good luck and keep up those workouts!

Originally Posted by why

While I can't say from where others might get it, I got it from a book entitled, The Business Plan For The Body by Jim Karas! Have a happy day.
wink.gif

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I can't say from where others might get it, I got it from a book entitled, The Business Plan For The Body by Jim Karas! Have a happy day.
wink.gif

Terrible.

While muscle is more metabolically active than fat, the actual weight is what causes more calories to be burned. It requires more energy to move more weight from place to place.

In that regard, muscle and fat are equal. It's not '12 to 15 times'...it's like 1.5x. Maybe. It's not the same for everyone and it doesn't scale linearly.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Well I'm about 12 pounds *overweight* but maybe like 20 pounds to my desired body weight. It's really not a huge problem in a sense that loosing 6kg is probably a bit over a month of a good diet. But I also want to maintain my weight so I want to find something I can keep doing and not just gain the weight back in a few months.

I probably eat something like 2k-2.75k per day so I might just start limiting myself to about 1500. Again I can limit myself to 1k a day and loose over a kg a week but I'd just go off it once I'm done.

Eagle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Terrible.

While muscle is more metabolically active than fat, the actual weight is what causes more calories to be burned. It requires more energy to move more weight from place to place.

In that regard, muscle and fat are equal. It's not '12 to 15 times'...it's like 1.5x. Maybe. It's not the same for everyone and it doesn't scale linearly.

Can you offer any examples of present day 'weight loss gurus' that do not say greater muscle mass and lower body fat percentages, equate to much greater resting metabolic burn rates? I know as a "wanna-be" wrestler at Penn State back in the late 1960s, with my body fat below 10%, I was able to eat a whole lot more calories (without gaining weight) than I can these day. As I close in on 60, I find that I literally have to log in my food consumption, measuring out portions and reducing intake to 2000 or less calories per day, to avoid picking up weight..and that's with exercising six days per week, two hours per day (I'm retired...I've got the time!).

I'm not trying to be argumentative here. I would just like to know what you think.
smile.gif

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you offer any examples of present day 'weight loss gurus' that do not say greater muscle mass and lower body fat percentages, equate to much greater resting metabolic burn rates?

That's not the argument. I already said muscle is more metabolically active than fat. That doesn't make it 12-15x more metabolically active, though.

Most weight loss gurus repeat what each other say. Most of that information is based on nothing other than a system of Chinese whispers that eventually become accepted as truth due to their preponderance.

It's also nearly impossible to disprove because there's no direct studies trying to disprove it -- there's simply no studies that have ever proved or even alluded to the 12-15x statements. It's nonsense.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
That's not the argument. I already said muscle is more metabolically active than fat. That doesn't make it 12-15x more metabolically active, though.

Most weight loss gurus repeat what each other say. Most of that information is based on nothing other than a system of Chinese whispers that eventually become accepted as truth due to their preponderance.

It's also nearly impossible to disprove because there's no direct studies trying to disprove it -- there's simply no studies that have ever proved or even alluded to the 12-15x statements. It's nonsense.

Agree - moreover, 12-15x is fantastically improbable given a few elementary pointers.

First - we're mostly water, skin, and bones. So even if you weigh 200 lbs, it's not 200 lbs of muscle. You're 200 lbs of salt water, skeleton, cartilage, fat, organs, and muscle. How much muscle? People vary, but let's say 25% just to pick a number out of thin air. That means that Joe who weighs 200 lbs has 50 lbs of muscle on his frame.

Let's also say that Joe burns 1500 calories with his 50 lbs of muscle. Each pound of muscle then burns 30 calories a day (I'm grossly oversimplifying, but whatev). With this magical 12-15x number you mean to tell me that that 51st pound magically burns 360 more calories a day? And each subsequent pound burns another 360 calories a day? So if you add 10 more pounds you are in a daily deficit of 3600 calores?

Naturally YMMV and the numbers are highly sketchy, but you see what I'm getting at here. 12-15x is preposterous.

Eagle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
...Let's also say that Joe burns 1500 calories with his 50 lbs of muscle. Each pound of muscle then burns 30 calories a day (I'm grossly oversimplifying, but whatev). With this magical 12-15x number you mean to tell me that that 51st pound magically burns 360 more calories a day? And each subsequent pound burns another 360 calories a day? So if you add 10 more pounds you are in a daily deficit of 3600 calores?

Naturally YMMV and the numbers are highly sketchy, but you see what I'm getting at here. 12-15x is preposterous.

Guys: I appreciate the replies and agree, assuming claims made by the present crop of celebrity gurus are accurate, can be unwise. In this instance, what Thomas has said above and what Jim Karas says on page 72 of his book, "one pound of lean muscle tissue can burn between 35 and 50 calories per day...a pound of fat burns only 2 to 3 calories per day", don't seem that far apart. I don't claim to be an exercise physiologist but, it seemed to make sense to me that adding muscle would increase one's daily caloric burn total. On the other hand, the addition of approximately 11% in my body fat percentage (reported in my physical exam five months ago), to the measures taken in my college days, has made it geometrically more difficult to keep my weight down these days!

Thanks again for the clarifications!

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"one pound of lean muscle tissue can burn between 35 and 50 calories per day...a pound of fat burns only 2 to 3 calories per day"
He's wrong. That number is always repeated and a citation is never given for a reason: it's bull. It's also hard to measure muscle weight due to water and carbohydrate difference, making it even more incorrect. If you've ever been skinny and then a gorilla you'll know that food intake doesn't increase a whole lot. In other words, if a person were to put on 30lbs. of muscle for football (not uncommon) there's no way that will translate to an extra 1500kcal/day with the same activity level (if they're running marathons every day with that extra weight it might, but then again 30lbs. of fat would do almost the same to daily kcal requirements). Burn that book. It's worthless.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads