• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Daily Vitamins/Supplements

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
When I was younger (see: <1 year ago) I had trouble swallowing pills. I've gotten over this and would like to start taking vitamins to improve my general health.

What do you recommend?

I'm 22, 6'0", 160 lbs, physically fit and reasonably active. I go to the gym ~3 times a week and am currently trying to get rid of some fat and put on some lean muscle. Thanks for the suggestions.

Petrus1

Reaction score
You don't need any vitamins or supplements. Just eat a balanced diet and don't easte your money on this stuff unless you have an actual deficiency.

Jl24

Reaction score
I agree, as long as your diet is balanced you don't need any supplements. Supplements by definition are intended to balance out your diet. My personal diet tends to lack selenium, calcium, and zinc so I take those.

I don't believe in those whey protein shakes and the 100s of supplements being marketed. I used to take whey protein, stopped taking it, and have seen only a minor difference if any as long as I eat healthy. 3 truly nutritious meals a day are better than eating junk food and supplements. Unless you're already maxed out on what you can do with your meals, I would start there, but at the same time, everybody's body is different.

I'm 6', 145lbs., 11% body fat.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I take (almost all Solgar brand):
  • Iron free multi (every other day)
  • B Complex
  • D3
  • C
  • Selenium
  • Chromium
  • Magnesium
  • MSM
  • Omega 3-6-9
  • Folic Acid
  • Green Tea Extract

Petrus1

Reaction score
Eat more red meat. If you're still young don't worry about gaining weight. You may also just be genetically slim. You don't need any of those minerals and in fact by taking them you may throw off the balance of others.

mrchariybrown

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
what I recommend is:
- a good mutlivitamin
- 10-15g fish oil
- green tea extract
- zma
- digestive enzymes (particularly betaine hcl)

also:
- glucosamine, if you have achy joints like myself

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrchariybrown
what I recommend is:
- a good mutlivitamin
- 10-15g fish oil
- green tea extract
- zma
- digestive enzymes (particularly betaine hcl)

also:
- glucosamine, if you have achy joints like myself

Ten to fifteen grams of fish oil? That's a lot of fish oil. Sounds like a recipe for some smelly burps and possible diarrhea, if you ask me.

Becks23

Reaction score
3000 IU of Vitamin D
3 g of fish oil
AnimalPak x 1

mrchariybrown

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Ten to fifteen grams of fish oil? That's a lot of fish oil. Sounds like a recipe for some smelly burps and possible diarrhea, if you ask me.

I guess I should have specified "if your stomach can handle it"

I know some guys that can't do over 5g/day and I know some guys that breeze by 25+g a day.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrchariybrown
I guess I should have specified "if your stomach can handle it"

I know some guys that can't do over 5g/day and I know some guys that breeze by 25+g a day.

Yeah, I'd recommend that most folks ease into fish oil before ingesting that sort of quantity. Different people's very different GI responses will indicate tolerance or lack thereof.

But fish oil is freaking awesome. Omega-3 is the best supplement to take, period. Other than a multi, perhaps, if warranted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads