• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Daily Drinkers Wine Thread

The Rural Juror

Reaction score
I'd love to find a better daily drinker Riesling. The Donnhoff estate is my go to, but it's a bit too expensive to just crack open a bottle when you aren't even sure if you're going to drink it all.

Have you tried Kung Fu Girl? It's an affordable riesling that I liked a lot & is widely available. There's also a Selbach Riesling (Terry Theise selection) that's around $10. I found a write up & picture from a quick Google search here: http://excellenteverydaywines.blogspot.com/2011/06/selbach-riesling-2007-so-underrated.html

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you tried Kung Fu Girl? It's an affordable riesling that I liked a lot & is widely available. There's also a Selbach Riesling (Terry Theise selection)  that's around $10. I found a write up & picture from a quick Google search here: http://excellenteverydaywines.blogspot.com/2011/06/selbach-riesling-2007-so-underrated.html

Selbach makes some "regional" wines from purchased grapes that I have been meaning to try. Could definitely be a possibility for daily drinkers.

This is obviously in addition to their normal estate-grown wine business, which is also awesome and offers some good QPR wines, but still too expensive for this thread.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bila-Haut. And generally most of Chapoutier's. Villa Antinori bianco & rosso. Santa Cristina bianco (Umbria), rosato (Toscana)--the current rosso is disappointing, last vintage's was good.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I bought several bottles of the Bila Haut L'Esquerda for about $9 a bottle a while back. Thought it was surprisingly decent for the price.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC, 9$ is extremely cheap for the L'Esquerda. I've bought a bottle too but haven't tried it yet. The regula Bila-Haut, which is like € 6 (and I've bought two cases for € 4.50 per bottle) and truly incredible for the price.

Last edited:

chet31

Reaction score
My wife and I like dry reds. We visit a lot of wineries, try a lot of wines, and I keep a spreadsheet - yeah, I know. Our current favorite for the price are Rodney Strong cabs. They have a Sonoma Valley and an Alexander Valley. Depending on the year, one is better than the other, but you can't go wrong with either. We have low alcohol tax in Wisconsin, so these are usually in the $15 range.

Previous posters have mentioned some cabs we haven't tried - thank you, they are now on our list!

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have just been instructed to pick up a case of red wine, a case of sparkling wine, and a case of white wine for a party on Friday. I have to average around $14 a bottle. This should be interesting.

chet31

Reaction score

Have just been instructed to pick up a case of red wine, a case of sparkling wine, and a case of white wine for a party on Friday. I have to average around $14 a bottle. This should be interesting.

Well, to remain consistent with my post of a week ago, I recommend Rodney Strong cab. The Alexander Valley and Sonoma Valley are about the same this year, so I would just go with the less expensive one, which will probably be the Sonoma Valley. Around here, with a case discount, it should be in the $13-$14/bottle range, but our alcohol taxes are fairly low. I don't know jack about sparkling or white wines, sorry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads