• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Daily cold weather boot

Slickman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was looking to get a pair of Alden Indy boots in cigar shell, but after facing the facts of life, finding these boots are impossible, so I've decided to settle on a pair of Alden Chukka's in cigar, here's a pic of them from an old B&S post, would you say to go with these, or try and get horween to source some cigar to Vass and get a pair made on the U-Last?
Library-351.jpg
Library-362.jpg

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you say "cold weather", will you be wearing them in snow/slush? If so, leather soles arent exactly the best choice.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slickman
NYC winter weather, but definitely more in need of a rugged daily boot, regardless of weather

nyc winter weather would kill those....

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After living and working in Moscow for five years I learned to keep the dress shoes in the office and wear big, ugly vibram soled boots during the commute.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a pair of Alden Cigar Shell Chukkas. I never wore them in the rain or snow (I live in MI BTW)...nor any leather soled shoes for that matter.
Not sure what your style is...but there is another thread discussing hiking boots on the front page that has good options for trekking through the snow.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twotone
After living and working in Moscow for five years I learned to keep the dress shoes in the office and wear big, ugly vibram soled boots during the commute.

+1. Or rubbers over your shoes..

Slickman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
nyc winter weather would kill those....

WTF cordovan isn't tough enough for the winter here, or is it just the leather sole thats the problem? I want a pair of Cigar Indy's with commando sole but unfortunately they do not exist unless you sell your kidney to get on a wait list

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
WTF cordovan isn't tough enough for the winter here, or is it just the leather sole thats the problem? I want a pair of Cigar Indy's with commando sole but unfortunately they do not exist unless you sell your kidney to get on a wait list

both!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow are you serious? How bout on a day like today, 25 degrees outside, but no snow to be seen? I know the snow will eventually start pouring on our heads, what would you recommend for such ****** weather?

oh...today they are perfect......
snow/slush/rain...nope...

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have shell chukkas I sometimes wear in bad weather. They do OK, but I prefer a higher boot. The chukkas fare poorly in deeper snow, as they can let in slush and don't have a lot of ankle support. But the shell itself has fared well.

As an aside, make sure you don't get dainite soles if you'll be walking on ice/slick sidewalks. They're terrible.

dasai

Reaction score
Maybe you could get some Dainite-soled country shoes from an English maker? Not really appropriate for the city if you follow the old town/country distinction, but then neither are the chukkas.

EDIT: Just noticed the discord between my suggestion and the previous post, and laughed. I suppose it all comes down to what sort of conditions you'll be wearing the shoes in.

Slickman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I have shell chukkas I sometimes wear in bad weather. They do OK, but I prefer a higher boot. The chukkas fare poorly in deeper snow, as they can let in slush and don't have a lot of ankle support. But the shell itself has fared well.

As an aside, make sure you don't get dainite soles if you'll be walking on ice/slick sidewalks. They're terrible.

I'm still waiting on delivery of a balmoral boot from cliff roberts, hope that'll hold up better, but I feel like they're a little too dressy

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Get the chukkas and topy them, or wear them as is for a couple of years then have them resoled with the commando sole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads