• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Daily cold weather boot

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
As an aside, make sure you don't get dainite soles if you'll be walking on ice/slick sidewalks. They're terrible.

True, but they still beat leather soles with any sort of snow and ice involved.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slickman
Ron Rider make a Cigar Shell Chukka? Is their delivery schedule better than Alden's? I mean almost everybody's is, Alden's turn-around time is unbelievable, in a bad way

Definitely contact Ron. I'm sure he can help. I have my first pair on the way from him.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked up some sherling boots from BB. Pretty happy with them. Looks like a nice captoe under slacks.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it just comes down to your personal utility

everyone says commando > dainite for snow/ice, but it also looks a lot worse. to me, the commando sole crosses the tipping point of clunkiness where I wouldn't buy any dress boot with it. at that point, I would just wear duck boots and call it a day.

others feel differently

anything with a leather sole will definitely be chewed up in winter conditions

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was at the Alden store on Madison today, they had these amazing captoe boots in reverse chamois leather with the Waterloc outsole. Special makeup and out of my size of course.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
Maybe they'll get some new stock in 2020 or thereabouts.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
True, but they still beat leather soles with any sort of snow and ice involved.

I dunno, I think I'd rather wear leather on ice. Dainite's not bad for snow, but no good for slick, smooth surfaces.

Topied leather shoes beat both. Another point for Topy!

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dainite soles are like indoor soccer/football shoes with all the little cleats. They are not ideal for ice, but they are better than leather. The little cleats make a little difference. Plus they don't wear out so quickly as wet leather.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Dainite soles are like indoor soccer/football shoes with all the little cleats. They are not ideal for ice, but they are better than leather. The little cleats make a little difference.

How so? They're not sharp like cleats, to cut into the ice, so you're left with a lot less surface area than even a leather sole.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think you walk on only the cleats, meaning the reduction in surface area is probably a small %, and if the surface is at all uneven, the cleats and the space around them will catch better on the irregularities ... . ?

Seriously for walking on plain pure flat ice, nothing beats skates.

I wear Dainite-soled Trickers maybe 30 times a year in snow and ice, and I only recently noticed that they slip more than vibram, lug, or commando soles. Maybe I tiptoe good.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
I don't think you walk on only the cleats, meaning the reduction in surface area is probably a small %, and if the surface is at all uneven, the cleats and the space around them will catch better on the irregularities ... . ?

Seriously for walking on plain pure flat ice, nothing beats skates.

I wear Dainite-soled Trickers maybe 30 times a year in snow and ice, and I only recently noticed that they slip more than vibram, lug, or commando soles. Maybe I tiptoe good.

Don't know about that. My ice crampons do a pretty good job.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads