1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Dack's shoes question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Rampart, Dec 27, 2011.

1. half lunatic

half lunatic Member

Thought you guys might like this:
    Size 8 D tried on maybe once.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013
  2. Marc Labrosse

Marc Labrosse New Member

What about the Caine suede? Nice and chic, isn't it.

3. Spinaway84

Spinaway84 New Member

I just picked up a pair of "new" Dacks anniversary shoes...and wonder if you can help me decifer the numbering (and sizing)
    685 2331 6
    7805 62 82
    Thanks

4. daxman

daxman Active Member

These are Brown Kudu Antelope, with the one piece upper . The size is 8 1/2 F or double E .

1 person likes this.
  5. Spinaway84

Spinaway84 New Member

Hi Daxman
    Thanks for the information!

6. Bjorling

Bjorling Active Member

I recently saw a pair of Dacks that looked to be circa mid or early 1980s with the following on the insole "Imported Zebu Grain" -- I forgot to take a picture, the leather was chestnut and pebble-like.

Does anyone have any information about these shoes??

7. daxman

daxman Active Member

This was one of the classic Dacks. It was a double soled brogue with a U wing. Very unique. A shoe like this sometimes lasted the customer for decades, if they were properly rebuilt by us when needed. Interesting note : the original leather was known as " scotch grain " and came from the Albion leatherworks factory , in Scotland. Daxman.

1 person likes this.
  8. Stoney

Stoney New Member

Hi - I was very pleased to see that Dack's is still around via post. I am going to order but I am a bit confused about the size and wonder if anyone has some advice please..

Normally I wear a 10.5 or sometimes need an 11 if too tight

My black dufferins are getting cracks after about 3 re-sole/rebuilds.

Inside they say 2003/D 11 1/2 T18977. They also say made in England 06/08 30913. I think they fit like a 10.5 because they were narrow...

My tan Seneca's are a 10 1/2 F and feel slightly larger than the black ones...also say made in England. They fit well.

Both pairs were bought here in Canada at Dack's stores but I am just wondering if the shoes were stamped with North American sized or British sized.

9. daxman

daxman Active Member

Your pair with # s starting 2003 were 111/2 D ( medium width) and the others were 101/2 F ( extra wide or EE ). This second pair would be slightly wider by about 1/16 inch --if all other properties are equal. Different leather or last or length of wear --are all variables. In general, softer leather feels roomier and more comfortable per size .May I suggest , be wary of shorter , wider sizes. Try 11E if it is available. Daxman.

10. dacksfan1

dacksfan1 New Member

Gentlemen, over the years, I purchased 5 pairs and still wear them. My last one is Seneca 10 D but find it a bit tight. Still not worn, brand new, in their pouches and original box. Still have the bill from Square One location. Can I exchange them? BTW my other pairs are10.5, 11 D. and 45. Thank you.

11. Stoney

Stoney New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. They have 10.5F but no 11E so may try that 10.5F. as long as the F still means the same width as it used to i should be OK.

12. Bjorling

Bjorling Active Member

I came across an older pair of Dacks that are likely from the early 1980s. The name "Dacks" is in cursive script and the leather is described as "Imported Harra Calf." Does anyone know anything about this shoe and the leather?

13. tonylamer

tonylamer Well-Known Member

For the thread: kangaroo shortwings. I've built up a substantial collection of Dack's; out of necessity, at first, as a penniless student buying in Goodwill basements; now strictly as a collector stopping in at thrift stores on weekends. These are up there with my Prairie Oxhide apron-toe bluchers as my favourite exotics. (Sadly my bison longwings fell apart years ago.)

Can any of the old thread regulars explain the meaning of "custom grade"? I have custom-grade Dack's with nail waists and without; welted and not welted; lined and 1/2-lined. Would there have been any reason for the difference in construction?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. meister

meister Well-Known Member

8.5F is not a double E fitting it is single E. Like a widish US "D" width fitting.

15. meister

meister Well-Known Member

8.5F is not a double E fitting it is single US "E". Like a widish US "D" width fitting.

16. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Well-Known Member

Ok I'm a little confused here. I own an older pair of black Dacks Longwings (made by Cheany in 11B) from about eight years ag. Is the relaunched Matthew Dack online store offering shoes in UK or North American sizing because they are using the British designation for widths (E, F and G)? Should I be sizing down a half or full size. Honestly the shoes are nice but not a lot of clarity regarding sizing.

17. COLONEL77

COLONEL77 Member

YOU MIGHT BE BEST ADVISED TO CONTACT THE NEW MATTHEW DACK WEBPAGE TO SEE WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT SIZING AS BELIEVE THEY MENTION IT SOMEWHERE ON THEIR WEBPAGE ...

FAILING THAT SEND THEM AN EMAIL AS THEY ARE LOOKING FOR BUSINESS SO WILL GET BACK TO YOU.

18. COLONEL77

COLONEL77 Member

ADDITIONALLY, YOU MAY WISH TO ADJUST YOUR TAG LINE ON BOTTOM AS IT IS ' BUELLER ' not ' BEULLER '.

19. COLONEL77

COLONEL77 Member

tonylamer - THERE ARE A NUMBER OF STAMPINGS TO BE FOUND IN DACK'S HEEL SOCKS AND ON SOLES, SUCH AS ' S.E. DACK ', ' BESPOKE ', ALONG WITH SOME OTHERS ...

' CUSTOM GRADE ' WAS THE STANDARD LINE FOR MOST DACK'S MODELS, THEREFORE YOU WILL FIND MORE OF THAT LABELING THAN ALL OTHERS.

20. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Well-Known Member

Hey Colonel77,

Got the message loud and clear, you didn't have to type in bold and in caps at the same time unless you want to come across loudmouth know it all. I asked a legit question.

Bill

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013