1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Dack's shoes question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Rampart, Dec 27, 2011.

1. debkrottum

debkrottum New Member

I was so excited to find this post! I have 5 pairs for Dack's and Church's, hoping someone will be able to tell me about these.
    first 3 are Dack's. They have hand written inside. The shoe with the metal embellishment imported lizard Canada, black ones says Madison, I can't seem to find what type of skin the brown one is.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. debkrottum

debkrottum New Member

These are the Church's. Both made in England. The brown may say safford Both have handwritten numbers.
    Thank you so much for any help!![​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. gilpp

gilpp New Member

Looks like camel.

4. Clay Marston

Clay Marston Member

THE TOP TWO IN LIGHT BROWN ARE MADE FROM WHAT WAS CALLED ' FIGHTING SEAL SKIN ' WHICH WAS A VERY POPULAR STYLE WHEN THESE WERE ORIGINALLY ISSUED AND SOLD WELL FOR MANY YEARS ...

THESE WERE AVAILABLE IN SHADES OF LIGHT TO MEDIUM BROWN AS WELL AS BLACK ...

VERY TOUGH WEARING AS THE HIDE IS SO PLIABLE ...

HAVE HAD MINE FOR MORE THAN 50 YEARS AND THEY STILL LOOK GREAT ...

ALL OF YOUR VERY GOOD PHOTOS APPEAR TO SHOW THESE VARIOUS SHOES IN RATHER GOOD SHAPE CONSIDERING ALL OF THEM HAVE SOME AGE AND WEAR SHOWING.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  5. KHartley

KHartley Member

I posted a new thread about Dacks shoes when I probably should have responded here.... I am looking for information about the 2 pairs of Dacks shoes pictured in this post. They were my father's. The loafers are Camel skin, hardly worn at all and in perfect mint condition. I guess they are from 1984 based on the centennial stamp inside. Believe they should be about a size 8 and that the series of numbers on the side may indicate that. The other pair I assume are older than 1984 and show a lot more wear. Most of the numbers inside are worn away and cannot really make them out. I see no indication inside the shoe as to what type of leather these might be. They have a similar "pebbly" texture to the camel skin so I wonder if they too might be some "exotic" leather? Would also like to know what these shoes may have retailed for when new - my father would have bought them new. And is it possible the camel skin loafers might actually be worth anything today?? Think I will be cleaning up the oxfords to wear myself - they are still a comfortable shoe and look very retro!!!! THANKS for any information.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. bing688

bing688 New Member

I just bought a pair of Dack's longwings on eBay. They are marked Bond Street, Made in England. $44.95 USD and they are brand new, never worn and they came in a Dack's box. I think I stole them. Based on the leather grain, are these cow or something else?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

Those are buffalo. You stole them. I've been looking for a pair for 5 years, and they're worth considerably more than you paid.

8. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I have a pair of black wing tips, made by Cheaney, and they appear to be water bison. They've got biltmore soles. I've always assumed that they were Dacks, but I can't find any markings to confirm that.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  9. Shew

Shew New Member

Hi - I have a pair of Hartt shoes I'd like more info on. They don't appear to have ever been worn. In reading some of the comments on this thread, I think these were made in the 80's. Inside the shoe it says "Gold Bond by Hartt" and lettering on side says 7 1/2 E 7712 2. Under that it says 6806 75 84. The heel on the bottom of the shoe says "BILTRITE" and on the bottom of the sole, "Handcrafted in Canada". What I'd like to know is when and where these shoes were made and what are they made out of? What, exactly, would these shoes be called? Wing tip brogues? They've been sitting in the original box for over 10 years in my closet. Inherited. Thanks for any help. I'll attempt to post some pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

Circa. 1984 Hartt calfksin wingtip brogues. They're decent shoes, but not the best quality.

11. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

These shoes look great!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  12. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Senior member

13. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

Nice shoes, but not worth 1/2 the asking-price. Maybe if they were the '50s version, but not the '87 edition.

It's also always a little off-putting to see the Value Village scrawl on the outsoles. Wipe that off before listing them for 20x what you paid.

14. ggg74

ggg74 New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Check out these beauties. Dad bought them around 1965 I believe. Unfortunately, too small for my feet.

15. suitforcourt

Ok guys, I bought these recently from another collector. Unfortunately, too tight for me.

So I'm going to offer to the connoisseurs here first!

These are BRAND NEW, unworn Dacks. Size is 8 F (I believe the "F" was the standard "medium" back then).

Even original Dacks shoe trees will be included.

I'm listing them at $275 (original price tag of $299.99).

I'm open to reasonable offers.

My loss is your gain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  16. suitforcourt

Haha, I didn't even notice!

I've been on this whole "buy Canadian" mode lately. I know I'm not "saving jobs" but it's nice to have some stuff still made in Canada. Who knows, maybe the current label Matthew Dack will restart production here.

17. suitforcourt

18. suitforcourt

Found these gems on Etsy. Made in Canada, Zebu leather, size 9C.

Nailed sole and heels. Lightly worn and still in great condition.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. hodgins

hodgins New Member

Hello, everyone. I've had these Dack's for a while now, inherited from my grandfather. I've been wearing them for formal events without thinking too much of it, but today I got curious about them and did a little research. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what decade these were made in. They have leather soles, with the Fredricton factory stamp ("custom grade - new brunswick canada), which I couldn't get a clear picture of because of age. Other than that, here are the pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help with the year of this pair would be appreciated, thank you!

20. hodgins

hodgins New Member

Oops, sorry everyone- I just found in another part of this thread Daxman explaining how to read the serial numbers. Sorry to waste time, haha!