• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canadian made Florsheim by John McHale. These are PTBs in antelope.
7B318992-F094-4D9A-BA85-3724AD2BE560.jpeg
792341B1-6784-4338-A3A8-BCFD0EBDC82A.jpeg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took my Dack's lizard loafers out today. Not many more chances to wear them this year.

IMG_2762.jpg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a nice pair of Dacks wholecuts on the way from Poland. I got them this morning on UK eBay for 21 GBP. It will likely take 5-6 weeks for them to get here. They are the 2330 model with the hand sewn decorative band. I have this style as S.E Dacks (when they were just 330's), and with the Bespoke sock-liner, and now with the 70's "Shoes for Men" sock-liner. The same shoe made for at least 25 years, and never once advertized by Dacks. I wish I knew what they called it. The later antelope whole cuts without the decorative stitching were the 2331 or 3331 depending on if they were brown or black respectively. .

These should clean up nicely.

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a cool and useful piece of shoe ephemera, a Hartt shoe shine kit, which based on the logo dates between 1958 and 1968. It makes me wonder if there might be Dack's labelled kits out there to be found. I needed more supply storage so I am pretty happy about this find.

IMG_2815.jpg
IMG_2816.jpg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in Letallier Shoes yesterday in Ottawa to buy a pair of La Canadienne boots for my daughter (made in Montreal). Lettallier opened in 1897 and was family owned until 4 years ago. I was speaking to a sales man who has been employed there since March of 1995. He recalled that for the first six months of his employment Letallier was still selling McHale and Florshiem shoes. Perhaps they were moving the last of their stock, but even so this suggests that the end date for production in London must have been 1993 or 1994, which is about 3-4 years later than I had thought.

Last edited:

lbgradwell

Reaction score
Isn't it odd that no newspaper reference to the plant closure has been found? I've tried a number of times and I'm sure at least Jim has also attempted this. It's just weird.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't it odd that no newspaper reference to the plant closure has been found? I've tried a number of times and I'm sure at least Jim has also attempted this. It's just weird.

I also found it very weird. Maybe something in the London Free Press, or other local London area paper?

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have found no reference as well. Next time I am in London I will pop into the regional room at the library and see if I can get some assistance in pinning it down.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a nice pair of NOS Hartts era RCMP Strathconas, 9.5E land on the doorstep today. They were missing laces, however I had spares on hand and I just set them up. Such wonderful boots. I love just having them around the house. I think this is the eighth pair I have handled this year. The are popular with the horsey set, vintage motorcycle enthusiasts, RCMP collectors and regular old shoe enthusiasts.

IMG_2833.jpg
IMG_2834.jpg

gorebug

Reaction score
So I posted this 'mystery' pair in the vintage shoe thread yesterday and then subsequently read through the majority of this one.

I had found these longwings on my first thrift store trip and picked them up along with a pair of what has turned out to be McHale florsheim imperials. The sock liner is worn nearly smooth but after peeling back a sticker was able to make out that they were 'Made Exclusively for the British Boot Shop' and therefore i assumed they were English made.

The only other clue I had for them was a partial embossed name on the sole... starting with a J in a stylized font. For a while I thought maybe they were Johnston and Murphy soles but checking their website i could never find a similarly styled letter J. The trail was cold until perusing this thread yesterday and I recognized a sole with 10 nails the same J...

What do you think, did I happen to find two vintage McHale made shoes on my first trip (i was in the store to buy a black shirt for a johnny Cash costume and thought why don't i check the shoe aisle)? Even if not, they are a lovely shoe that I'm happy to have.
1CG_7544.jpg
1CG_7543.jpg
1CG_7548.jpg
1CG_7551.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I posted this 'mystery' pair in the vintage shoe thread yesterday and then subsequently read through the majority of this one.

I had found these longwings on my first thrift store trip and picked them up along with a pair of what has turned out to be McHale florsheim imperials. The sock liner is worn nearly smooth but after peeling back a sticker was able to make out that they were 'Made Exclusively for the British Boot Shop' and therefore i assumed they were English made.

The only other clue I had for them was a partial embossed name on the sole... starting with a J in a stylized font. For a while I thought maybe they were Johnston and Murphy soles but checking their website i could never find a similarly styled letter J. The trail was cold until perusing this thread yesterday and I recognized a sole with 10 nails the same J...

What do you think, did I happen to find two vintage McHale made shoes on my first trip (i was in the store to buy a black shirt for a johnny Cash costume and thought why don't i check the shoe aisle)? Even if not, they are a lovely shoe that I'm happy to have. View attachment 1286773 View attachment 1286774 View attachment 1286776 View attachment 1286777

I say John McHale based on the lettering style, sole design, and for sure - the broguing is a dead giveaway.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has been awhile since I have found anything other than H H Brown military footwear while thrifting. I didn't have great expectations today but I made a Dickens of a find with these 1970's 9E Dacks apron-toe camel derbys. I was just leaving empty handed as the restock cart tuned the corner into the shoe isle. These were poking their nose out from the very bottom of the cart. The staff member very graciously allowed me to dig them out.

IMG_2945.jpg
IMG_2944.jpg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a good day out thrifting today; picking up a pair of RCMP cap-toe Oxfords and a pair of RCMP Chelsea boots, both manufactured by Hartt. The are each size 7 (E and EE), but were found in different stores. The Hartt made RCMP footwear is a noticeable step up in quality from the Sisman and Boulet RCMP products. I would love to own the cap-toes in my size. The Chelsea boots (Quarter Wellington Officers Mess Dress Boots), have the insertion point for the spurs in the back of their stacked heels.

IMG_2961.jpg
IMG_2974.JPG
IMG_2981.JPG
IMG_2964.JPG
IMG_2969.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads