• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are a very nice pair of made in England derbys manufactured for sale in Canada by the Hudson Bay Co. They look to me as being water bison and they are presently on eBay for a reasonable price if anyone is an 8.5. They are not mine.

A quick perusal of the online ads indicates that HBC was selling shoes in their "The Bay" line of products from the late 50's through to the 80's. These shoes with their V-cleats and nailed heels likely date pretty early in that range. Top end made in England "The Bay" shoes were selling for around $17-18 dollars in 1958, which puts them at an equivalent price point to the Gold Bond and Bondstreet offerings by Hartt and Dacks.

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a pair of WM Moorby boots by Canada West?

I am looking for another pair of casual boots for fall/spring. Instead of buying an American made one, why not a good ole local pair made in Winnipeg?

I have only seen pics online. Can anyone tell me about construction quality? Heavy,? Long break in period? Comparable to Red Wing/Wolverine 1000 mile?

kilowatts

Reaction score
Anyone have a pair of WM Moorby boots by Canada West?

I am looking for another pair of casual boots for fall/spring. Instead of buying an American made one, why not a good ole local pair made in Winnipeg?

I have only seen pics online. Can anyone tell me about construction quality? Heavy,? Long break in period? Comparable to Red Wing/Wolverine 1000 mile?
Hi Ken:

Wm. Moorby are great boots. We have a store very close to where I live and I've often made a nuisance of myself by going in to try on every permutation of boot I could find! They are cheaper than Red Wing and Wolverine for a equal if not superior product. They also have a Canadian slant to them which is a little different. They fit VERY large so my advice would be to find a store and try them on first. I think I went down one and a half sizes for the best fit!! From what you've posted about your feet my guess is that they would suit you just fine and I think you can request a make-up with different selected leathers for either no or a small charge. Slightly less heavy than a Red Wing Iron Ranger but with a better fit, sole and leather. Definitely a shorter break in time. I'm well supplied with quality boots but I would recommend them very highly, I believe you can get seconds from their website, I may be wrong though. In any event, you would feel a shiver of patriotism simply by putting them on! ??

Good luck:

kilowatts

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Ken:

Wm. Moorby are great boots. We have a store very close to where I live and I've often made a nuisance of myself by going in to try on every permutation of boot I could find! They are cheaper than Red Wing and Wolverine for a equal if not superior product. They also have a Canadian slant to them which is a little different. They fit VERY large so my advice would be to find a store and try them on first. I think I went down one and a half sizes for the best fit!! From what you've posted about your feet my guess is that they would suit you just fine and I think you can request a make-up with different selected leathers for either no or a small charge. Slightly less heavy than a Red Wing Iron Ranger but with a better fit, sole and leather. Definitely a shorter break in time. I'm well supplied with quality boots but I would recommend them very highly, I believe you can get seconds from their website, I may be wrong though. In any event, you would feel a shiver of patriotism simply by putting them on! ??

Good luck:

kilowatts

Thanks for this detailed response! Next time I'm in Vancouver, I'll check out the store. And then we can grab some food and go thrifting.

Some cobblers on facebook also advised me that Boulet (from Winnipeg) has just started a line of casual boots. Prices are 335-360, which is not crazy if well made and durable. Here are some pics:

As you can see, they have E and EEE widths. Perfect for my wide flappers! Can't wait to feel patriotic about wearing casual boots. Maybe I'll grab a pair from Moorby and Boulet. Canadian made. Canadian companies.

lbgradwell

Reaction score
Some cobblers on facebook also advised me that Boulet (from Winnipeg) has just started a line of casual boots.

I think it's a very good idea if Boulet is expanding into the "service boot" market. Why wouldn't they?!

But I must advise that Boulet is not in Winnipeg; they're located in Saint-Tite, Quebec.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's a very good idea if Boulet is expanding into the "service boot" market. Why wouldn't they?!

But I must advise that Boulet is not in Winnipeg; they're located in Saint-Tite, Quebec.
Indeed they are a proud Quebec company. You may be familiar with their theme song; Boulet boot coucher avec moi ce soir!

I will check out the Moorbys just down the street at the Apple saddlery. I see someone on eBay is offering four pairs in 9.5EE. That would likely work for me.

kilowatts

Reaction score
Indeed they are a proud Quebec company. You may be familiar with their theme song; Boulet boot coucher avec moi ce soir!

I will check out the Moorbys just down the street at the Apple saddlery. I see someone on eBay is offering four pairs in 9.5EE. That would likely work for me.

Hi guys:

Boulet boot, aha.....

Kilowatts

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My mistake. You're right - Canada West is in Winnipeg.

khanh010112

Reaction score
Quite sad that i wear D size.
There is a store near my house that sell Canada West and I really want to try them out and go crazy with a pair of cowboy boots.
But they don’t offer D size :(

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite sad that i wear D size.
There is a store near my house that sell Canada West and I really want to try them out and go crazy with a pair of cowboy boots.
But they don’t offer D size :(
One of their sizes must fit a D no matter what they call it. Go try em on and let us know.

Last edited:

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I post this for @suitforcourt who has been known to spend a few dollars on recrafting shoes. The following is from a 1951 Dacks advert, highlighting their recrafting service. I have to think that even with inflation that this was a darn good deal.

dacks repair.JPG

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I post this for @suitforcourt who has been known to spend a few dollars on recrafting shoes. The following is from a 1951 Dacks advert, highlighting their recrafting service. I have to think that even with inflation that this was a darn good deal.

View attachment 1256048

I think I have spent more money on recrafting than actually buying the shoes.

But it's a lot of fun.

I wish I was better with my hands. I can't even assemble IKEA furniture so I have no hope of resoling my shoes.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll say. $6 in 1951 is the same as $58.63 today.

In my experience, Canadian cobblers charge $90-180 for full leather resoles these days.

Inflation is just crazy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads