• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

khanh010112

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This is the first time I post in Styleforum.
I want to share some pictures of a pair of Dack i thrifted.

Can someone date this shoes?
My guess is 1982 according to the writing inside.
Plus, the sole has a hole in it so i slap a rubber half sole while waiting to get a chance to take this pair to a cobbler. Do you guys think a commando sole or a dainite sole would fare better in Canada weather?

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
View attachment 1248106 View attachment 1248107 View attachment 1248108 View attachment 1248109

Plus, the sole has a hole in it so i slap a rubber half sole while waiting to get a chance to take this pair to a cobbler. Do you guys think a commando sole or a dainite sole would fare better in Canada weather?
82 is the last number rather than a date. They were made post 1987, as that shoe-liner was used only after the 150 anniversary shoe-liners were retired in '87. They are great shoes; likely late 80's or early 90's. Welcome to the forum!!

khanh010112

Reaction score
82 is the last number rather than a date. They were made post 1987, as that shoe-liner was used only after the 150 anniversary shoe-liners were retired in '87. They are great shoes; likely late 80's or early 90's. Welcome to the forum!!
Thank you.
Do you guys have any experience with a brand called Eaton( made in Canada)?
I have a pair( not here with me so no pics, sorry) but i can’t find any information about them online.

HalfHuskyBite

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
View attachment 1248106 View attachment 1248107 View attachment 1248108 View attachment 1248109

Great find. I think a Dainite sole would work as it has a slimmer profile. I can't tell if they are shell cordovan or corrected grain leather though.

khanh010112

Reaction score
Great find. I think a Dainite sole would work as it has a slimmer profile. I can't tell if they are shell cordovan or corrected grain leather though.
Yeah, i am leaning over dainite too.
It’s not cordovan as far as i can tell, these pair have creasing. I just give it a really high shine. It could be corrected leather, i am not sure.
And may I ask how much do you guys pay for a resole job? My nearest cobbler ask for 150-300 but i feel like it is quite overpriced.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you.
Do you guys have any experience with a brand called Eaton( made in Canada)?
I have a pair( not here with me so no pics, sorry) but i can’t find any information about them online.

Eaton was a major department store. Like Nordstrom.

They went bankrupt in the 90s.

They had some amazing shoes made by other brands. If made in Canada, likely made by Dacks.

If made in England, likely Church's or Cheaney.

Nice find!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

If there's already a hole, they need new soles. Don't wait.

Here are some of my rebuilds with rubber soles:

Post 11

Post 33

Post 8 and 15

These are some of the choices for rubber soles. They work nicely in wet weather. For winter, I wear rubber overshoes or overboots to protect my shoes.

For cobbler prices, I have paid between 90-180 for full rebuild. Look up Toronto cobblers thread for my reviews.

Where do you live? You can always do mail in. I do.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i am leaning over dainite too.
It’s not cordovan as far as i can tell, these pair have creasing. I just give it a really high shine. It could be corrected leather, i am not sure.
And may I ask how much do you guys pay for a resole job? My nearest cobbler ask for 150-300 but i feel like it is quite overpriced.
I have never seen a Canadian Cordovan shoe by any maker. Please someone prove me wrong so I can get one. It seems so odd, but they just don't seem to exist. Instead we get seal leather :(

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never seen a Canadian Cordovan shoe by any maker. Please someone prove me wrong so I can get one. It seems so odd, but they just don't seem to exist. Instead we get seal leather :(

Given that Dacks and Hartt offered the most variety of exotic skins, it's surprising they didn't offer shell cordovan.

So yes, I confirm Canadian manufacturers didn't offer shell. Seal, bison, kudu, even elephant and rhino were available.

khanh010112

Reaction score
If there's already a hole, they need new soles. Don't wait.

Here are some of my rebuilds with rubber soles:

Post 11

Post 33

Post 8 and 15

These are some of the choices for rubber soles. They work nicely in wet weather. For winter, I wear rubber overshoes or overboots to protect my shoes.

For cobbler prices, I have paid between 90-180 for full rebuild. Look up Toronto cobblers thread for my reviews.

Where do you live? You can always do mail in. I do.

I would take this to a cobbler as soon as possible but the hole appear when i was on vacation (still is) so it has to wait.
I live in Peterborough, it between Ottawa and Toronto, and there only 1 cobbler here and they have no review on google about resole shoes so i am hesitating.
I can go to Toronto and ask the cobblers there and hopefully they can mail it back to my place.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would take this to a cobbler as soon as possible but the hole appear when i was on vacation (still is) so it has to wait.
I live in Peterborough, it between Ottawa and Toronto, and there only 1 cobbler here and they have no review on google about resole shoes so i am hesitating.
I can go to Toronto and ask the cobblers there and hopefully they can mail it back to my place.

I know Peterborough very well! I have family there.

Don't use cobblers in Toronto. If you go to Toronto cobbler thread, I have used award winning ones in Vancouver, Sudbury, Barrie, and Thunder Bay. Recently tried one in London. It's worth the cost of shipping for a skilled cobbler to take care of them. I will PM later in the day with a list. I reviewed them all here on SF.

khanh010112

Reaction score
I know Peterborough very well! I have family there.

Don't use cobblers in Toronto. If you go to Toronto cobbler thread, I have used award winning ones in Vancouver, Sudbury, Barrie, and Thunder Bay. Recently tried one in London. It's worth the cost of shipping for a skilled cobbler to take care of them. I will PM later in the day with a list. I reviewed them all here on SF.

Thank you.
And may I ask which one is the cheapest? Or the best value for money?
I am a cheap college student so money is quite a concern for me :D

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you.

Before I give my answer, I want it for the record, that I was once a poor student. I have a very good memory of what it was like trying to pinch every penny and making ends meet.

That said, you get what you pay for. I will message you, and also leave my views on this thread for everyone.

khanh010112

Reaction score
Before I give my answer, I want it for the record, that I was once a poor student. I have a very good memory of what it was like trying to pinch every penny and making ends meet.

That said, you get what you pay for. I will message you, and also leave my views on this thread for everyone.

Yes, I agree that you get what you pay for.
But i guess even the cheapest among your recommendations still going to be a great deal.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you.

In no specific order, here are a list of Canadian cobblers that I have used. Some don't want their prices listed publicly, so I will refrain from doing so. Others don't mind, so I will share:

1. Gary Coakley in London Ontario:

JR recraft = $150
Rubber vibram resole = $125

Gary did one full JR recraft, a vibram recraft, and rebuilt a pair of sandals.

2. Dan Frappier in Sudbury Ontario:

Dan has recrafted numerous pairs for me. Full JR, and one Dainite. He has won several SSIA, and German competition awards for his work.

3. Martin Sugg in Thunder Bay Ontario:

Martin did one JR resole, one vibram resole, and a weird Hawkens (same as Dr. Martens) heel replacement. Martin is also an award winning cobbler (both SSIA and other international competitions).

4. Corey Hiltz in Barrie Ontario:

Corey did one JR resole, several topy and heel replacements, and some toe plates.

Corey won silver at this years SSIA competition.

5. Ronald and Patrick Nijdam in Vancouver BC:

3 pairs recrafted with JR soles. Ron and Patrick have both won many awards at SSIA competition. Ron is the first Canadian cobbler to win the ultimate title at SSIA this year.

They charge $199 for JR resole, which includes topy, AND return postage in Canada.

6. Laurent Halimi in Montreal QC:

Did one JR resole. $250 included return postage.

7. Alex in Etobicoke:

Did a full resole with Emu leather for $90. Topy only $30. Cheapest of the Canadian cobblers I have used. I don't recommend him for full resoles. Work is not as detailed and tight as others.

----------------------

Going back to your original question. Who is cheapest: Alex in Etobicoke. Best value? Any of the others.

Here's another solution: Don't wear this pair. Find another pair, in better shape. Save up some money, and then recraft the pair with the hole.

Keep this in mind, once recrafted, the shoes will last for another 10-15 years with proper care, and if your rotation is big enough. I stand at 55 pairs of dress/work shoes, so I doubt any of mind will develop a hole within my lifetime.

Ask any questions that you may have. We're a pretty friendly group!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads