• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, the Ides are upon us! Tread carefully. Midnight marks the entry deadline for the 2019 SF Canadian Shoe Shop Photo Contest!

I submit the following photo for my entry:
PF1_2089.JPG

Letellier shoes has been a fixture in Ottawa since 1897! It is surely one the oldest, if not THE oldest shoe store in Canada. It was opened by JE Letellier in Gatineau in 1897, then moved to Bytown after a 1900 blaze. The store was owned by 5 generations of Letellier's, until being sold in 2014 to the owner of a couple shoe stores in southern Ontario. They started out with men's only, but eventually women's account for more than half the sales. Still, they carry a remarkable selection including the Canadian boot brands Pajar, LaCanadienne, and Saute Muton. My own Pajar boots hail from Letellier, as do some casual Clarks and countless other shoes since moving to Ottawa. Letellier's site has a great history of the company.

I intended to submit a black and white photo, to echo those 20's gas lamp photos with Ottawa iconic street lamps, but decided to go with colour for my official entry to highlight and document the company's iconic red, which is present on their vintage shoe trees, as well.

_PF11992.JPG
IMG_5776.JPG

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, the Ides are upon us! Tread carefully. Midnight marks the entry deadline for the 2019 SF Canadian Shoe Shop Photo Contest!

View attachment 1144495

Letellier shoes has been a fixture in Ottawa since 1897! It is surely one the oldest, if not THE oldest shoe store in Canada. It was opened by JE Letellier in Gatineau in 1897, then moved to Bytown after a 1900 blaze. The store was owned by 5 generations of Letellier's, until being sold in 2014 to the owner of a couple shoe stores in southern Ontario. They started out with men's only, but eventually women's account for more than half the sales. Still, they carry a remarkable selection including the Canadian boot brands Pajar, LaCanadienne, and Saute Muton. My own Pajar boots hail from Letellier, as do some casual Clarks and countless other shoes since moving to Ottawa. Letellier's site has a great history of the company.

I intended to submit a black and white photo, to echo those 20's gas lamp photos with Ottawa iconic street lamps, but decided to go with colour for my official entry to highlight and document the company's iconic red, which is present on their vintage shoe trees, as well.

View attachment 1144500 View attachment 1144509

When I lived in Ottawa (2000-4, and again 2007-8), I lived on the residence of U of O, and later on Daly Avenue.

Most of my life was in that area and I often walked by Letellier. At the time, I did not have the knowledge or quite frankly money, to go inside and learn about well made shoes.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1144495

View attachment 1144500 View attachment 1144509

They used to sell Allen Edmonds, right?

Doctor Damage

Reaction score
Here's the last pair of Dack's I ever bought, the "York" model, made in Canada on the old Canadian lasts. The leather uppers were of superb quality as the photos show. Several months after buying this pair I went to get another but the company was already headed to extinction and the leathers they were using were 5% as good as these, so I passed. These are far too small for me now in the toe box and I haven't worn them in about 15 years. Time to move them on!

DSCN0845.JPG DSCN0846.JPG DSCN0849.JPG DSCN0847.JPG DSCN0848.JPG

Doctor Damage

Reaction score
...and some Moneysworth Black cream...
I swear by that stuff. It rubs off easily, but it doesn't harm the leather and even "revived" a pair of good quality shoes I had which did not react well to old-school polish (i.e. wax) or some fancy French shoe cream. My personal rule is that if shoe cream or polish smells, then it's full of chemicals which can't be good for leather. Moneyswoth and Best shoe cream doesn't smell (okay, maybe a tiny amount).

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I swear by that stuff. It rubs off easily, but it doesn't harm the leather and even "revived" a pair of good quality shoes I had which did not react well to old-school polish (i.e. wax) or some fancy French shoe cream. My personal rule is that if shoe cream or polish smells, then it's full of chemicals which can't be good for leather. Moneyswoth and Best shoe cream doesn't smell (okay, maybe a tiny amount).

For shoe cream/polish, I also like Moneysworth. Easy to find, little smell, and right price. They are also German made, which can’t be that crappy.

I also use Collonil 1909 which is recommended by vcleat.com. It is rather similar to MW.

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I lived in Ottawa (2000-4, and again 2007-8), I lived on the residence of U of O, and later on Daly Avenue.

Most of my life was in that area and I often walked by Letellier. At the time, I did not have the knowledge or quite frankly money, to go inside and learn about well made shoes.

They used to sell Allen Edmonds, right?

Oh, you were right around the corner from them, then. They did used to sell AE, but no longer do. They mentioned to me that it was difficult to get them.

Moneysworth - I have it in three colours so far. I have had varied results on how much colour it imparts on the leather. Not sure if it is colour dependent, leather dependent, or method dependent. Sometimes I have found it soaks in very well, and sometimes I find it skims over the surface and does not leave itself on the shoe. I must admit that I find it dreamy to look into an opened jar at the glossy Jello pudding like texture!

EDIT: I was reading the Church's thread this morning and it noted that Bookbinder or Polished Binder leather would not take colour from shoe cream. I do think it was this type of leather that I was working on that did not soak in. Learn something new every day!

Last edited:

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Jiqea had an unfortunate accident this afternoon when his closet full of NOS Dack and Hartt shoes tumbled down, burying him in exotic leathers. So, he asked me to submit his 2019 SF Canadian Shoe Shop Photo Contest entry on his behalf. As is typical with him, it comes without a glint of supporting history, info, etc...

IMG_5778.JPG

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who participated in the photo contest! Great entries, especially by me, and, uh, me! We can only go upwards from here. Another family run shoe store here in town is Glebe Trotters, who have been open for 25 years. Really nice, friendly staff. Here is a picture of their storefront on Bank Street, along with Steve, The Night Manager...
_PF11953.JPG
_PF11957.JPG

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting article from May 9th of 1989 that speaks to Dacks/Hartt's use of exotic leathers. In looking through advertising for the two firms from the 1920's on, it becomes clear that the major period of use of exotics was during the 80's and 90's. To be sure these leathers were used before this time, however they do not feature in any advertizing campaigns, and their use does not seem to have been as prevalent. The owner of these two firms, Churchs, also used an abundance of exotic leathers. I have yet to discern if this was a result of an influence from Canada, or vice versa.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All was not peachy during the Churchs ownership period. The company made the headlines from coast to coast when they were charged and convicted of price fixing.

This from April 10th, 1980

Apr 10 1980 Cal Her.JPG

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And the firm even made the gossip pages in 2000. I remember this item in the news, however the fact that Edward Weslock was of Dacks made no impression on me at the time.

apr 26 2000 Part 1.JPG

Capture111.JPG

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, water bison is from mongolia, eh!? Wonder where Pa2O3 comes from? Good to know I am part of Canada's "rich and privileged" with my water bison, prairie oxhide, and kangaroo shoes! Have to admit, it is a good looking hair piece!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, water bison is from mongolia, eh!? Wonder where Pa2O3 comes from? Good to know I am part of Canada's "rich and privileged" with my water bison, prairie oxhide, and kangaroo shoes! Have to admit, it is a good looking hair piece!

I too assumed it was Canadian bison.

So what do they do with Canadian bison leather?

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too assumed it was Canadian bison.

So what do they do with Canadian bison leather?

Yeah, I had assumed both bison and oxhide were Canadian! Recently I bought two pairs of Dack's with "Imported Calf." So, not even our regular cows were good enough. Hmph! Maybe in that case it is because the tanneries were foreign as well as the livestock.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads