• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chatted with a guy (Zac, you there?) on the street yesterday, and he told me about Dayton Boots, out in Vancouver. Been around since 1946 and have strong work vibe to their boots. Anyone have any experience with them?

goatamous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Swung by VV on the way home - the shelves were pretty bare only 1 pair of Allen Edmonds Fairfax in rough condition priced high. When I rounded the corner hidden away was this pair of Hartt's. I was surprised by how thin the sole seemed on this pair though I'm thinking it was original given that Made in Canada was barely visible on the sole. Somehow the build quality on these didn't seem to be up to what we've seen posted here previously. What do we think the age of this pair is?

View attachment 1141006

View attachment 1141007

View attachment 1141008

You were at Islington. Those were the ones that I posted about on 50% off day (I left the Fairfax as well)

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chatted with a guy (Zac, you there?) on the street yesterday, and he told me about Dayton Boots, out in Vancouver. Been around since 1946 and have strong work vibe to their boots. Anyone have any experience with them?

I have looked at their website several times. Mostly work boots and a hand full of casual and work shoes.

A tad expensive.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a pair of wonderful Dacks that must be from 1949 or the very early 50's (given the "modern logo" in combination with the nailed heels). Not mine, and these are the only photos I could find. The laces are amazing. I wonder if they worked well or were a complete PITA.

Dack1.jpg

Dack3.jpg

Dack4.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

Dack5.jpg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a little bit of thrifting stardust fall on me today. I stopped at the local VV and bought a pair of really ugly, worn at the heel, hand waxed finish Dack's tasseled loafers for $13.00. I regretted the purchase immediately. On my drive home I decided that I didn't want to waste the effort to clean them, so I stopped at the men's mission and donated them and to my surprise I was given a $10 off coupon. I wandered over to the tiny space where they keep a few men's shoes and found these 10.5 D dead NOS early 1970's McHale chestnut brown balmoral gunboats with 360 Goodyear welting. I had the coupon for roughly 45 seconds.

One shoe has a McHale sock-liner and the other has a Letallier sock-liner. Letallier was a high-end shoe retailer located on Rideau St. in downtown Ottawa for many years. A quick check of the archives shows that they stocked McHales through the 60's and 70's. These shoes are a whole notch above any other 1970's McHales I have seen. They hearken back to an earlier time. The advert is from 1973.

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1532.jpg

Letellier shoes mchale.JPG

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a little bit of thrifting stardust fall on me today. I stopped at the local VV and bought a pair of really ugly, worn at the heel, hand waxed finish Dack's tasseled loafers for $13.00. I regretted the purchase immediately. On my drive home I decided that I didn't want to waste the effort to clean them, so I stopped at the men's mission and donated them and to my surprise I was given a $10 off coupon. I wandered over to the tiny space where they keep a few men's shoes and found these 10.5 D dead NOS early 1970's McHale chestnut brown balmoral gunboats with 360 Goodyear welting. I had the coupon for roughly 45 seconds.

One shoe has a McHale sock-liner and the other has a Letallier sock-liner. Letallier was a high-end shoe retailer located on Rideau St. in downtown Ottawa for many years. A quick check of the archives shows that they stocked McHales through the 60's and 70's. These shoes are a whole notch above any other 1970's McHales I have seen. They hearken back to an earlier time. The advert is from 1973.

View attachment 1143900

View attachment 1143901

View attachment 1143902

View attachment 1143903

View attachment 1143904

View attachment 1143905

Wow.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are a pair of short-wing derby camel Dacks that have been posted to Ebay (no connection). NOS. It is interesting to get a look at how these shoes appeared out of the box. Beauties. They carried a bit more polish than I had imagined.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have looked at their website several times. Mostly work boots and a hand full of casual and work shoes.

A tad expensive.

They are up there with Viberg prices, albeit a bit more work oriented. I wonder how their quality stacks up to AE and other North American brands. It is good to see that GYW is alive on the west coast. If Hartt could only rekindle that in Fredericton balance would return to the country!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are up there with Viberg prices, albeit a bit more work oriented. I wonder how their quality stacks up to AE and other North American brands. It is good to see that GYW is alive on the west coast. If Hartt could only rekindle that in Fredericton balance would return to the country!

Hartt, Dacks, and John McHale... just to start

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a pair of wonderful Dacks that must be from 1949 or the very early 50's (given the "modern logo" in combination with the nailed heels). Not mine, and these are the only photos I could find. The laces are amazing. I wonder if they worked well or were a complete PITA.

View attachment 1143794

View attachment 1143795

View attachment 1143796

View attachment 1143797

View attachment 1143798

Not my cup of tea.

View attachment 1143900

View attachment 1143901

View attachment 1143902

View attachment 1143903

View attachment 1143904

View attachment 1143905

You live with angels!

Here are a pair of short-wing derby camel Dacks that have been posted to Ebay (no connection). NOS. It is interesting to get a look at how these shoes appeared out of the box. Beauties. They carried a bit more polish than I had imagined.

View attachment 1144274

View attachment 1144275

View attachment 1144276

View attachment 1144277

My cup of tea!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. I put in what I thought was a very fair offer, and it was rejected without consideration. But it is nice to see them.

Fair is all of us owning every pair/model in NOS condition. In our size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads