• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dang! I see they have some vintage interloper Hartt's trees in em.

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-30C windchill this morning, and a 20 minute walk ahead of me....shearling Pajar's to the rescue!

IMG_5230.JPG

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dacks in black calf cap toes.

834DEBC5-5B52-489D-9F59-D7ACCCD28F95.jpeg

3A0E5AD0-D554-46FF-9953-E0CEB0987CF4.jpeg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a cold, cold morning in Ottawa. I have slipped into a pair of Dacks short wing camel derbies while I moisturize a bunch of shoes that have been getting worn lately, and with the humidity being way down. Lets see what you gentlemen slip on for a lazy Saturday. I find this pair has developed a nice patina when compared to some of my other camels.

IMG_0041.jpg

Last edited:

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the Water Bison S.E. Dacks that I posted in the Shoe Appreciation thread yesterday. Just posting them here for our reference, as things get buried in the Appreciation thread so quickly. Please let me know if you see any other S.E. Dacks. Not long ago I saw a pair of S.E. Dacks golf shoes!!!. I should have bought them, but they were not my size and I don't golf, so it was a double whammy. I have another pair of Water Bison whole cuts with the same 360 good year welting and 360 hand stitching that are the same in every way to these shoes with the exception of having a Biltrite heel. They have what I call the "Shield Bespoke" shoe liner. The last two photos are of these shoes for comparison. I suspect at some point Dacks stopped using the S.E. Dacks designation and that is why we see so few; perhaps in the 70's. It appears that the shoes with the 360 Goodyear welting comprise some of Dacks' best work. So much to learn. I love the puzzle of all of this.

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

d3.jpg

d2.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is such a classic look, and those shoes seem to really fit you well. The Crown didn't stand a chance!

Fit is spot on.

I have another pair of Dacks in black cap toe, but polished leather, and fit is looser though both marked as 8.5G.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last week @suitforcourt posted some photos of a pair of his black cap-toe oxfords in the Shoe Appreciation thread that were manufactured by Ritchie. Ritchie was a very prominent Quebec City based maker of high quality footwear for much of the 20th century and they were in business at least until the 1970's. At the time of @suitforcourt's posting I recalled recently seeing another pair of Ritchie shoes. Tonight I found them again and thought I would post the photos for our records. They are on Kijiji at what I think is a fairly optimistic price: size 9C. Nice shoes though, in NOS condition with their box! We should all keep our eyes open and see what more we can learn about Ritchie.

ritchies 3.JPG

ritchies 2.JPG

$_59 (4).JPG

$_59 (5).JPG

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last week @suitforcourt posted some photos of a pair of his black cap-toe oxfords in the Shoe Appreciation thread that were manufactured by Ritchie. Ritchie was a very prominent Quebec City based maker of high quality footwear for much of the 20th century and they were in business at least until the 1970's. At the time of @suitforcourt's posting I recalled recently seeing another pair of Ritchie shoes. Tonight I found them again and thought I would post the photos for our records. They are on Kijiji at what I think is a fairly optimistic price: size 9C. Nice shoes though, in NOS condition with their box! We should all keep our eyes open and see what more we can learn about Ritchie.

View attachment 1105789

View attachment 1105790

View attachment 1105791

View attachment 1105792

I have seen these on kijiji. The seller is very ambitious with the price.

I assumed Ritchie was a US brand. So proud that I have another Canadian brand in my arsenal.

So this is what I have so far (Canadian made): Dacks, Hartt, Florsheim by John McHale, Ritchie, and John McHale.

Looking forward to add many more like Greb, Browns, Canada West.. and anything else you gents know/find in my size.

I'm particularly grateful that this thread has been revived.

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I came across a kick-ass pair of Greb's this afternoon at VV. They were a tall, workboot with black eyelets on black grain leather, Commando sole, and not a steel toe. They were marked 9.5E, but just floated on me. Had to leave them.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen these on kijiji. The seller is very ambitious with the price.

I assumed Ritchie was a US brand. So proud that I have another Canadian brand in my arsenal.

So this is what I have so far (Canadian made): Dacks, Hartt, Florsheim by John McHale, Ritchie, and John McHale.

Looking forward to add many more like Greb, Browns, Canada West.. and anything else you gents know/find in my size.

I'm particularly grateful that this thread has been revived.

For me it is Dacks, Hartt, McHale (late ones), Florsheim, Fournier, Canada West, H.H. Brown and a pair of Miner boots. I recently thrifted the boots for driveway shovelling. They were NOS and reminded me so much of the type of boots I wore hunting and fishing as a teenager.

IMG_0042.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me it is Dacks, Hartt, McHale (late ones), Florsheim, Fournier, Canada West, H.H. Brown and a pair of Miner boots. I recently thrifted the boots for driveway shovelling. They were NOS and reminded me so much of the type of boots I wore hunting and fishing as a teenager.

View attachment 1105821

I do have the Kamik William boots that are still made in Canada. Also have a pair of Bauer skates that were made in Canada.

Some dress shirts and slacks made in Canada as well. And some sweat pants and shorts.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for the second pair of S.E. Dacks that I saw a few weeks back. They were tan and dark brown saddle golf shoes if my memory serves. At the time I did save an image of the shoe sock liner. They were called "The Professional". I wish I had bought the darn things., or at least saved pictures of the shoes.

SE Dack from Golf shoes.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads