• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t see “finest” stamped anywhere on mine, but at $45 CAD all in for a new pair of Canada West service shoes with defect (small void in the side of the Vibram sole) I am not complaining! 9.5 F straight outta The Maples.
D6A82CB1-F677-4E30-A109-D8CB18FA3EAE.jpeg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t see “finest” stamped anywhere on mine, but at $45 CAD all in for a new pair of Canada West service shoes with defect (small void in the side of the Vibram sole) I am not complaining! 9.5 F straight outta The Maples.
View attachment 1801957

I wish I could find a pair in my size. Great pick up.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I could find a pair in my size. Great pick up.
Thanks, that’s the benefit of living where they’re made! I had no idea they even made any of their shoes in an F width, figured I’d have to move up a half size from my EE boots, but nope, sitting right there on the discount stand.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that’s the benefit of living where they’re made! I had no idea they even made any of their shoes in an F width, figured I’d have to move up a half size from my EE boots, but nope, sitting right there on the discount stand.

F is approximately EE width.

I need 8.5G or 8.5H, depending on the last. I've only seen them in D, E, and F widths.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
F is approximately EE width.

I need 8.5G or 8.5H, depending on the last. I've only seen them in D, E, and F widths.
Interesting, I just assumed that an F width would be wider than anything in the E range for a Canadian made shoe. Thanks.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I just assumed that an F width would be wider than anything in the E range for a Canadian made shoe. Thanks.

For Canadian shoes, F is certainly wider than E. It is not a direct comparison to the US sizing system. And throw in the UK sizing system, and we have ourselves a nice old international party.

mackbrad

Reaction score
Though not technically not a Canadian company, these shoes are from UK brand that has apparently existed since 1759 called Lotus -- which is (checks notes) 261 years ago. So, I hope you guys will forgive me for posting them here!

Has anyone ever encountered a vintage pair of Lotus in the wild before? They seem well-built (they're heavy) though I'm not sure about the leather. (Note: these are as I found them; have not yet spruced them up.)

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 17
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 21
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 20
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 19
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 19

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though not technically not a Canadian company, these shoes are from UK brand that has apparently existed since 1759 called Lotus -- which is (checks notes) 261 years ago. So, I hope you guys will forgive me for posting them here!

Has anyone ever encountered a vintage pair of Lotus in the wild before? They seem well-built (they're heavy) though I'm not sure about the leather. (Note: these are as I found them; have not yet spruced them up.)
They are a wonderful shoe. Lotus has been making them from at least the 50's. There is a boot version as well, and both boot and shoe were available in black and brown. I have been searching for a pair in my size for two years.Very nice find!!

mackbrad

Reaction score
They are a wonderful shoe. Lotus has been making them from at least the 50's. There is a boot version as well, and both boot and shoe were available in black and brown. I have been searching for a pair in my size for two years.Very nice find!!
Ah - cool! I'm glad I picked them up then! I was a little unsure of the quality, but if you vouch them I think I'm good! lol
What decade do you guess these are from?

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah - cool! I'm glad I picked them up then! I was a little unsure of the quality, but if you vouch them I think I'm good! lol
What decade do you guess these are from?
They were making them far longer than I thought. Here is an advert from 1941. I would guess your pair is from the 70's or so. What do the heels look like? Google Veldtschoen, Cool construction. Designed to be waterproof. Essentially a Goodyear welted shoe inside a stitch down shoe. Very desirable.

lotus.JPG

mackbrad

Reaction score
Lotus has been making them from at least the 50's. There is a boot version as well, and both boot and shoe were available in black and brown. I have been searching for a pair in my size for two years.Very nice find!!
They were making them far longer than I thought. Here is an advert from 1941. I would guess your pair is from the 70's or so. What do the heels look like? Google Veldtschoen, Cool construction. Designed to be waterproof. Essentially a Goodyear welted shoe inside a stitch down shoe. Very desirable.

View attachment 1806013
Very cool. I was researching them last night as well. Apparently, the "Veldtschoen" model originated as Officer's shoes (and boots) in the First World War as a way to keep their feet dry in the trenches. Their popularity extended to regular enlisted soldiers when Lotus began marketing them to their family members, aka mothers and fathers.

I'm guessing the model name was a direct nod to the war? In Dutch veldt means field and schoen is shoe, so I'm guessing that's what they were getting at branding wise.

The heels are wood and are nailed in - apparently to the sole if what I just read is to be believed. The amount of engineering that went into creating this waterproof footwear in an era before rubber boots were a thing, is outstanding. Can't wait to slip them on the next time I have to walk the dog in the rain and see if they live up to the waterproof hype!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Jiqea - can you help date this pair of Dacks I thrifted? The last fits me well, and the leather is incredibly soft. I will have a cobbler revive with a full rebuild.

20220624_131542.jpg
20220624_133223.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you picture the soles and sock liner please

Soles don't look original to me. Definitely a cemented pair. I don't see a welt.

20220624_201357.jpg
20220624_201413.jpg
20220624_201442.jpg

20220624_201426.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads