• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a 1950's postcard for Ritchie shoes of Quebec City. Check out #630. The description on the back of the card indicates they were white and blue. Arghh, spade sole U-wing spectators (sigh). We only see the tip of the tip of the iceberg of what was available in Canada in the 50's. My collecting goal is for all of my personal shoes be Canadian from the 50's. I have a long ways to go.

Check out the Canadian summer travel destinations too!

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg

Quantum17

Reaction score
Just some quickies of some interesting shoes I left behind today, with some regret. I think I was spoiled by my Hippopotamus find yesterday. First up were these Allen Edmonds "New Orleans" which seemed very exotic for the staid label. I just couldn't imagine wearing them:
View attachment 1665687

View attachment 1665688
Next in line were a much more traditional pair of AE's, which were lovely, but I am just not a tasseled loafer guy. Maybe if I were a lawyer, like my mother always wanted?
View attachment 1665689
View attachment 1665690
View attachment 1665691
Finally, I spotted this fine fair of John McHale "Caravan Collection," which were labelled as 7.5/8, but fit like a 8.8.5. I was almost sold on these, but decided to sleep on it. If anyone is interested in any of these let me know - happy to return and snap them up for you.

View attachment 1665694

View attachment 1665695
View attachment 1665697
Hi @mackbrad, I've never seen hippo leather before. Wild but not surprising to see it's included in the Caravan collection. Did you pick them up eventually by chance?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's really nothing like a tough trial on a Friday. Especially where the Crown just wants it. I guess she'll have to get through me, and these Ritchie shoes.

Ironically, these were likely made for the police or military.

Happy Friday, brothers.

20210924_074559.jpg
20210924_074550.jpg

mackbrad

Reaction score
PS - If anyone has a similar pair in 9/9.5 i'd be interested in buying a pair

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
My collecting goal is for all of my personal shoes be Canadian from the 50's. I have a long ways to go.

Mr. Jiqea, are 1960s not good enough?

What's your current personal count for 1950s? I think I am at ~10 with 4 being NOS.

There's the "Shoe Snob" standing. Maybe we can have some "Vintage Shoe Snob" tiers.

Last edited:

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
50's are really hard to find. I see a lot of folks who say their shoes are from the 50's but they are way off the mark (not you of course but in general). I will have to count them up. It is a good question. Certainly more than ten but less than 20. I have a super pair of S E Dacks whole cuts that have been sitting across the border now since the pandemic began. My size and in great shape.

60's are certainly good enough. I have many fine early 60's pairs. I don't see much of a diminishing in quality until about 1964. That is when Church bought Dacks/Hartt, but things were going to hell pretty much across the board. McHale certainly made some great shoes right into the 80's, and some of the later Dacks exotics are very desirable. But there is something about stepping out in a pair of true 50's shoes. I just love it.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm thrilled today to receive these gorgeous (and great fitting) Dacks Baffin Seal shoes. Love them (but I appreciate these are not for everyone):

Dack's Seal Shoes 11F #6.jpg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm thrilled today to receive these gorgeous (and great fitting) Dacks Baffin Seal shoes. Love them (but I appreciate these are not for everyone):

View attachment 1674663
Who cares about the losers who don't like these shoes! What a nice pair. Early as well for this model. I have yet to find a nice pair in my size. Dacks also made a Norwegian split toe version that are more heavily built. They are less commonly seen.

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Who cares about the losers who don't like these shoes! What a nice pair. Early as well for this model. I have yet to find a nice pair in my size. Dacks also made a Norwegian split toe version that are more heavily built. They are less commonly seen.

Thanks for your kind words! Showed them to the lads in my office and they also love the look of them. One fellow thought they might be brand new, given the nice condition.

I'll keep my eyes open for any real nice ones in your size and give you the scoop on any I see!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads